What's new

When is a soap no longer any good?

I have some soaps with no mold or fungus but they are older, dried considerably and turned brown. They smell the same just more concentrated. Is there a point where you just toss them? I figure the brown comes from Vanilla, maybe?

Thanks

I have soap that is over two years old and still performs great. I don't know what the experation date is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The age is of less importance.
As long as it is not rancid smells ok (fragrance/smell will decrease change in years) and it lathers good there is no harm

Your soap will last a very long time, it's just dried out right now.

You can rebatch your soap if you want. That means grating it up, adding some water and possibly other ingredients like fragrances , and forming it into new bars in a mold.

Your soap will last a very long time, it's just dried out right now.

You can rebatch your soap if you want. That means grating it up, adding some water and possibly other ingredients like fragrances , and forming it into new bars in a mold.

I have two soaps from the same company that were granulated (not a homogeneous mixture) when I received them from the vendor. Has the soap begun to separate? Will rebatching the soap help with this?

Soap itself doesn't have an expiration date, but some ingredients might, esp. essential oils. So, when it's smelling rancit, I would throw it away. The brown color also comes from ingredients esp. frangrance oils, but normally that's nothing to be worried about. Shaving creams on the other hand often do have a short shelf life.

Hard tallow pucks will last for decades. The scent will fade, but the soap is still usable.

Some softer artisan soaps will go bad over time. I have some soaps that are over four years old that are still fine.. They are harder than they were when new, but they still lather just fine.

Some folks replace their soaps after a year or two. I only plan to replace mine when they get moldy or turn rancid. However, as new soaps are released, I find that the performance of the soaps is so much better than the soaps I purchased a few years ago that I no longer enjoy using the older soaps. I plan to get rid of the soaps I no longer enjoy, but not because they are no longer usable.

I have two soaps from the same company that were granulated (not a homogeneous mixture) when I received them from the vendor. Has the soap begun to separate? Will rebatching the soap help with this?
Are these hard soaps? You can try rebatching using gentle heat. This would mean using a double boiler or crockpot (NOT a microwave oven). You would grate the soap, heat a few tablespoons of water in your pot, add the soap pieces, stir and allow to heat through. You should get something with the consistency of mashed potatoes or oatmeal. Pour this into your molds, vibrate your molds or press the soap into the molds with the back of a spoon to get rid of air pockets. Allow to cool and dry in the open air for a few days. For molds, you can use old soap containers, recycled Greek yogurt cups, whatever you have.

Are these hard soaps? You can try rebatching using gentle heat. This would mean using a double boiler or crockpot (NOT a microwave oven). You would grate the soap, heat a few tablespoons of water in your pot, add the soap pieces, stir and allow to heat through. You should get something with the consistency of mashed potatoes or oatmeal. Pour this into your molds, vibrate your molds or press the soap into the molds with the back of a spoon to get rid of air pockets. Allow to cool and dry in the open air for a few days. For molds, you can use old soap containers, recycled Greek yogurt cups, whatever you have.
Thank you!

Soft soaps can last anywhere from 6 months to over 10 years.

If it goes bad quickly, then you know not to buy it again.

true hard soaps last forever.

The age is of less importance.
As long as it is not rancid smells ok (fragrance/smell will decrease change in years) and it lathers good there is no harm

+1! Yes indeed! I enjoy vintage OS and Williams. The only problem is finding those old pucks!! :a29:

No, Arco is suppose to smell like that.

Don't fight it, enjoy it.

I pity the poor folks who work in the Arko factory. I suspect they have to wear gas masks to prevent suffocation. Even a single stick in my bathroom is enough to make me sick.

I have not been wet-shaving long enough to have had any of my soaps dry up and change colors. From everything I've ever read here, those soaps should be completely fine to use.

Top Bottom