What's new

When I was a young journalist, I got a big Gillette scoop...

The disposables razor effect on the market was the equivalent of the quartz watches on the manual wind ups. Same swing. But as with the Swiss movements DE shaving will survive. I predict the demise of disposable if prices continue to go up.

Great article and kudos on the scoop. Well done.

Hey, Nick -

Thank you for your compliment (and thanks to everyone for theirs, too...)

I was actually in Australia last year, but unfortunately, I was in the south - on the Nullarbor Plain - so I didn't get to see the (famous) giant banana, though I do have a postcard of it in my banana memorabilia collection (which is quickly being relegated to storage as my shaving acquisition disorder takes up my extra space.) I've really wanted to go to the north to see the banana industry there...one day, perhaps.

cheers!

- Dan

It would be interesting to see the disposable replaced by something like the Gillette Guard, which I've gotten a few samples of (it is a single-blade "semi-disposable," super-cheap, with cartridges.) I've seen some reviews that predict it to be the demise of DE shaving; perhaps that's true, to a certain extent, since it seems that most DE blades are made for usage in places where shaving systems are beyond the means of the average person. But, and keeping in mind my limited experience, I didn't really feel like I got a great shave with the product, and it is difficult to see any real difference, ultimately, between the Guard and a disposable Bic single edge in terms of potential marketing strategy. I suppose that the Guard is less costly to produce, since it doesn't have a handle, and perhaps feels more in keeping with established habits in the markets where it is sold. I do find the marketing strategy absolutely fascinating - and possibly brilliant - though the question of whether it will succeed remains open.

Still, I think it is something to be concerned about from the enthusiast point of view. If it is successful, as Leisure Guy has noted on his blog, it could reduce the blade choices we've got, and as I'm learning, fun with blade trial/selection is a key part of both the hobby and the learning process with DE shaving (though in my case, I've really come to prefer the Schick Injector and the Gem 1912 razors - making moot my blade choice issue, though I still use a DE a few days a week just to continue in the game.)

Thank you to all for your responses and positive feedback. It has brought back some fun memories about my early career, and that was clearly a high point of it. The next issue, my editor wore about me in his editor's note, and he likened me to an old-fashioned police reporter, calling me a "bulldog." It made me feel so good, though the agressiveness wore on me - I ended up going with a milder edge, to use a term most of us are familiar with, though I hope I became a deeper and more thoughtful reporter. Again, thanks.

- Dan

- Dan

Hey, Nick -

Thank you for your compliment (and thanks to everyone for theirs, too...)

I was actually in Australia last year, but unfortunately, I was in the south - on the Nullarbor Plain - so I didn't get to see the (famous) giant banana, though I do have a postcard of it in my banana memorabilia collection (which is quickly being relegated to storage as my shaving acquisition disorder takes up my extra space.) I've really wanted to go to the north to see the banana industry there...one day, perhaps.

cheers!

- Dan

I hope you enjoyed it here mate! Yes Coffs (and Queensland in general) has a pretty big banana industry - after the tropical cyclone earlier this year bananas went up to $16/kg ($7.27/lb). It's a really nice area and quite popular with tourists and sightseers, local and international alike.

Top Bottom