What's new

When I was a young journalist, I got a big Gillette scoop...

proxy.php

I was going through some old boxes in my attic yesterday, and found the article that I've scanned and posted with this post (the magazine cover image is above; the actual article, as a PDF, is linked below.) In light of my recent conversion to DE shaving, maybe some of you will be interested in the story behind it...

I was 27, it was 1989, and I was at my first serious job, working as a reporter in New York at a magazine covering the advertising and marketing industry. Gillette was my beat, and the company was about to announce a new, "secret" razor. The pressure to figure out what the company was doing before the official announcement was intense; I was in the chase with the business writers at the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and all the other magazines in town that covered the company.

And I got the scoop by heading down to the US patent office and tediously going through all of Gillette's recent patents, then comparing them to what issue we thought Gillette's product might address, which - we believed - was the increasing marketshare being garnered by the Good News product, which had commoditized the company's business. I confirmed the info by calling the Gillette designer listed on the patents, who told me I was right. He probably shouldn't have, and he probably got in trouble (more on that in a second.)

Though we didn't get the name of the product - it would be called "Sensor" - I pretty much nailed the design, with the spring-loaded cartridges and the improvements (debatable!) on the Atra/Trac II designs.

I learned a lot at that job - I had a wonderful mentor who taught me how to write long-form magazine articles, which is what I do today. But I also felt very bad about the engineer who I'd called; he wasn't used to talking to the press, he was honest with me, and Gillette's PR people were angry: they thought I'd committed a foul by not going through them. In the news business, of course, a scoop is a scoop, and I hadn't misrepresented myself or my intentions, but I began to feel less comfortable with the aggressive techniques of that form of news gathering. I wanted to write stories that were more positive, and had positive interactions with my subjects.

A few years later, I switched directions and pursued a job writing about the thing I love most: riding bikes. I became editor of Mountain Bike magazine, and though I've long-since moved on (believe me, a 50-year-old guy shouldn't be running a publication like that), I've had a wonderful and fun career ever since. The reason I mention this is that there's a funny postscript. As some of you probably know, a lot of bike riders shave their legs. A few years after my Sensor scoop, I decided to write an article about technique for doing so, so I got out my old rolodex and called Gillette's PR people. They didn't believe I was really working for a bike magazine - they were sure I was trying to trick them - so I ended up calling Schick.

I used the Sensor for a while, but really didn't have any particular preferred razor. And that leads up to my few months here on B&B, and my growing passion for DE shaving. In the end, my scoop was correct - at least factually - but, as I now know, neither Sensor, nor its cartridge-based successors, were truly "the best a man can get."

- Dan

The article is here.

nice story and article.. must have been fairly impressive to get a scoop like that... i know would have been proud...

Great story. I shaved with the Sensor a few years after it came out. Its nice to know a little history from people who lived it.

Yeah - getting that scoop and beating the bigger competition was absolutely elating. It felt like hitting a homer in the world series.

Nice.

Even more impressive: you're the guy who wrote that book on bananas?!? Heard your interview on Fresh Air (and read the companion piece in, I think, the New Yorker). That bit of reportage really touched home (and scared the bejesus out of my Cavendish-loving wife). Well done.

Both the Gillette and the banana stories were fascinating reads! I'm going to keep my eyes out to see how the banana concerns play out.

Great, Great Story. Thank You for sharing. As far as shaving the legs, I have no concerns. It all went up to my ears:)

Nice.

Even more impressive: you're the guy who wrote that book on bananas?!? Heard your interview on Fresh Air (and read the companion piece in, I think, the New Yorker). That bit of reportage really touched home (and scared the bejesus out of my Cavendish-loving wife). Well done.

Thanks - yes, I'm the "banana book" guy and did appear on Fresh Air. Though I didn't write the New Yorker piece; I was mentioned in it and my book was a source. I've written lots of other articles about the fruit. Not to self-plug too much, but if you're interested in the book, I sell it through my website, www.bananabook.org, and I'd be happy to offer a 10% discount to anybody from B&B who'd like to buy a signed copy. Just mention it in the purchase notes. I'm also happy to donate signed copies for things like charity auctions, if I have enough copies on-hand, which I generally do; PM me if you're interested.

Dan, thanks for posting this! You're a great writer mate, I really enjoyed reading your post!
Enjoyed the article on Bananas in The Scientist too. I find that sort of thing very interesting.

If you're ever in Australia, you might like to visit Coffs Harbour & the , ahem, big banana.
Something that has to be understood about Australians is that if we like something a lot, we make a gigantic monument in it's honour - Don't ask me why...we just do! If enough of us Aussies join B&B, I'm sure we'll commission a "Big Badger" to celebrate.

Edit - you might be interested to know that Warren Buffet started buying Gillette in 1989 and said around that time "You go to bed feeling very comfortable just thinking about two and a half billion males with hair growing while you sleep. No one at Gillette has trouble sleeping." Who knows - perhaps he read your article. He's done quite well with that one. :001_tt2:

Last edited:
Great post, Dan. Thanks for sharing that.
I didn't realize you were the author of the Banana book too- I heard the Fresh Air interview, and it was of particular interest to me. I became aware of the politics of the United Fruit Corporation and its' relationship with the U.S. State Dept. as a young, energetic and idealistic man. I actually went to live in Central America for a time, and wrote about the injustices I saw there as well. Kudos to you and your fine work.

Great post! The graph on page 3 was most interesting to me. I had not realized how much "damage" the disposable razors had done to the razor market.

Also, I feel honoured to belong to the "men who risk their necks daily with straight razors", even if the risks associated therewith have been reduced thanks to places like B&B!

This is fascinating both because of the razor/shaving history, but also to hear a very condensed story of your time as a journalist - a field I've always found interesting but aside from school publications in high school and university, never given a serious try.

Thanks very much for sharing!

Top Bottom