What's new

When I want a no-nick, no-weeper, no-cut shave, I use Arko

Arko provides plenty of slickness and decent cushion. It's definitely a great value. But the scent is definitely divisive. I'm in the "it needs to be aired out a bit before using" camp. That said, I'm not entirely against its scent, I just find it a tad too strong.

A wide open qshave futul with a misaligned blunt blade atg in the neck is also a nice way to Sunday Bloody Sunday

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Ah, yes…. The ARKO! of France!

@Screeby - if I shave too rough or don’t add enough water to my lather, ARKO! dries my face, too. Usually it doesn’t. I’m sorry it has that affect on you, but glad to read the Captain has your skincare covered.

Indeed (although they don't call it that for some reason). But the shipping is a killer for $2 soap - about $48!

I have Arko in my regular soap rotation and have never had a problem with it. It lathers easily, has plenty of cushion, and slick as snot! I have to say that the scent isn't exactly high-end luxurious, but it's not offensive to me. I rinse it off, splash on a good alcohol-based aftershave, followed by moisturizing lotion, and I'm good to go.

Since Arko has vanished from the local supermarkets in my country and it was super inexpensive (around 50 cent for one stick), I had to move on something else. I could easily use only Arko for the rest of my life without the need to try or use anything else. When it comes to razors I tend to agree (for the most part) that a modern stainless steel razor for around 100$ is going to shave at least a bit better compared to a modern Chinese zamak razor and it's also more comfortable and a lot more durable. But somehow i'm not convinced that a more expensive soap/cream is going to provide a much better shave compared to an inexpensive one (unless the user has a super sensitive skin to some ingredients or allergie or whatever).

I was recently given a few artisan soap samples and while I like them, the prices of their regular soaps is too much and it's not justified. I suppose everyone in this hobby is different and everyone has it's own style and the things that he likes more than others. Razors and blades are all I care about, while brushes, bowls and cosmetics (soaps, creams, aftershaves, preshaves etc. etc.) are not a decisive factor for me to get a great shave or not.

I haven't noticed Arko drying my face post-shave. But then, like a lot of you, I rinse my face continually during the shave process, and I apply an aftershave and a lotion to my face and throat after my shower.

It just gets the job done. Reliable, dependable Arko

View attachment 1259185
proxy.php

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Knock on wood, I never get weepers (one every two years, tops), and maybe a nick every three months or so. I alternate between a bunch of soaps, and I get good results from all that I have decided to keep. Arko isn't one of them. The smell is awful and the performance blah. Usaewd it twice, then I binned it.
p.s. Same razor, same brush, same brand of blade: might help explain my bloodless standard shaves.
Have you posted this before? I vaguely seem to recall reading a post sometime in the past where a guy said he didn't like the smell of Arko.

I've never got nicks or weepers from shaving soap, nor ever desired them. Curious thread title.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I used The Arko stick for a while and it was fine. I did, however, find it to be a little drying after a few consecutive shaves. But (and the purists may be appalled by this) I have recently tried the Arko Extra Sensitive cream and I have been blown away by how good it is!

If I don't want any doubt of top-flight cutting lather I Marko-method Arko. I end up with Arko all over the sink and my chest but it results in a lather that provides great protection, slipperiness, and lubrication. This is often my choice of lather after I've gone a long time without a shave and I have serious whisker removal on the agenda.

Top Bottom