What's new

When did your SBAD stop - if ever - ?

I currently own 7 brushes and have 4 on order, still waiting for them to arrive (A custom D01 Shavemac, a Chubby 2 2-Band, a Rooney Heritage 2XL 2-Band and a Mühle 25 mm Silvertip Fibre Ivory)

I also consider getting a Thater 2-Band next, when does this SBAD stop :blink:

How do you guys keep all your brushes fresh and free of mold - do you rotate them regularly or do you clean them every month to keep them clean and free of mold (mould) and bacteria ?

I would think that after getting into double digits, you would have enough brushes for a life time.
Since I only face lather these days, I have sold all the brushes I owned, that were exclusively bought for bowl lathering (Kent BLK8, Polo 10, Polo 12, Shavemac 439), which means I really don't need a huge variety in the brushes I own, just as long as I have a couple for harder creams and a couple for softer creams.

Running out of arguments to buy new brushes, but I still am close to hitting the BUY bottom each time I visit an online shaving shop.......I'm hooked, I guess :blushing:

My last sane argument was to get the new 25 mm Mühle Silvertip Fibre brush - you know just to test and prove them wrong, these synthetic fibres can't compete with the REAL thing, now can they :biggrin1:
Now I'm thinking that since I own the Mühle Stylo Thuja Silverti Fibre in 21 mm (a BEAUTIFUL piece of art this brush, I tell you) and the 25 mm Ivory Mühle Silvertip Fibre, I may also need the 23 mm Silvertip Fibre in horn just to see how it performs as the middle brother to the 21 mm and 25 mm Silvertip Fibre...... I'm crazy :cursing:

So I'm asking: Does this SBAD ever stop :drool:

Last edited:
Ummmm, no. You wanna get really hooked, start restoring a few. That is a whole new acquisition disorder to contend with. The good news is it will go into remission from time to time. Mine is really flaring up now though. If you have a wife/girlfriend, you can buy stuff "for her".

Ummmm, no. You wanna get really hooked, start restoring a few. That is a whole new acquisition disorder to contend with. The good news is it will go into remission from time to time. Mine is really flaring up now though. If you have a wife/girlfriend, you can buy stuff "for her".

I'm working on the getting the gf on the train too. Problem is we work opposite schedules, so our time spent together is never to shave :p

I have been struck by the same disorder - I ordered 8 brushes during July.

I think it is a two-part addiction: Part 1 - I want to own great, beautiful brushes. Part 2 - I want to find the ultimate brush and am willing, if necessary, to buy up every brush on the planet in order to find it.

Fortunately, like a little kid with his toys, I will grow bored with some of them, which means I'll sell them and then use the proceeds to buy more brushes. Using recycled money helps to minimize my guilt.

I didn't understand why sooo many guys had sooo many brushes when I first logged onto B&B. I had been wetshaving for 5+ years using 1 brush, an AOS pure badger. Then I was enlightened. I'm smitten with the Semogue SOC line (obviously!) but I still think I want an extreme luxury brush like a Thater or Simpson. I've sold/PIF'd a few along they way.

It never started. I went through a number of brushes to find mine but I've never collected them. The ones I didn't like ended up on BST.

+1

I've been pretty good lately. In fact I just sold a brush last week (first one to leave my hands).

I have a couple "I want" brushes but for the most part I am very satisfied with what I currently have.

I "may" dabble with a synthetic brush but that is not a "sure" bet either.

I have four brushes now. Best, Finest 2-Band, and Silvertip badgers and an SOC Boar. To an extent - at least I've convinced myself - that is the range of brush experience. Until the next shopping spree, anyway...

My SBAD has really slowed having sold several ones that were close to duplicate in knots sizes. I would say it has gotten more precise.

As Phil said my restore (RSBAD) is growing, I must say it is a lot of fun to do. Well as long as you do knot miss the set height ;>)

It abated for a time, but I've had a recent flare-up. I've tried to be responsible though, and went through the painful process of letting brushes go before buying new ones.

I had a recent bout of SBAD (bought a custom Shavemac, Thater, H.I.S. synthetic, Kent, and T & H psychedlic ( made by Rooney). I am now in remission.

I rotate brushes and do a thorough cleaning of them 1x month.

I was on the SBAD road, but money became the issue. Also, I find I keep going back to one brush over and over, because the results are consistent. The other brushes then just sit there collecting dust..

I'm coming off my SBAD mostly because I currently own most of the brushes that I've wanted to try (not a good solution, I know). I'm not into the higher end brushes so that has saved me quite a bit. But I've been able to test boars, synthetics, horse, and a Whipped Dog silvertip. I still don't have a clear favorite and I'd like to restore one brush with a Whipped Dog silvertip and then I'll be complete, I think...

My SBAD stopped for me after buying a couple Semogues-I guess they did the trick for me. As a bonus they get a little better every time I use them. Have 15 brushes now! Luckily most of my collection are Boars and were pretty inexpensive. The trouble is sometimes deciding which one I want to use at any given time.

Top Bottom