What's new

when did you start 'wet shaving' and what did you use?

Legion

Staff member
When I was in my early teens I took the peach fuzz off with a Tech I found in a bag of my fathers army stuff, and some Faulding cream in a tube.

Many years later, with the invention of forums and sites like this I went back, and my first Ebay razor was a 40's Gillette SS, Prorasso soap, and an inexpensive badger brush from a department store.

But the Mach 3 didn't come out until 1998. And Gillette spent $750 million to develop it 😳

See link in posted thread as well.
Hhhmmm no idea what I used.

I started shaving at 13 in in 1986, with Bic disposables and Barbasol. By the 1990's I moved to Gillette Mach3 and shave gel, The 2000s introduced me to Aveeno shaving cream which made me hate shaving just a little less. Last year I started using balms after my aftershave. This helped so much, I started researching reducing shaving irritation, and you know how that story ended, and this new journey began. I suspect my story is similar to so many others. I wish I found DE traditional wet shaving sooner, there is no going back now. My first DE razors were a Vander Hagan and a Rockwell R1.

Two years ago. Setup was:

• Mühle Rytmo razor/brush set couple
• Simpsons T3 Synthetic
• Feather blades
• (The Holy Black) Caswell-Massey soaps

Gave up after one try and went back to Gilette Fusions. Kept the brush and soaps.

Rejoined about six months ago with the King C. Gillette razor, same brush and soaps. Have tried several razors, brushes and soaps/creams ever since. I won't go back to cartridges.

I started with Sensor Excel Blue

proxy.php

however, certainly, the best multi-blade ever developed by Gillette is SkinGuard. By a mile!

proxy.php

I started this last March-ish, and initially used a King C Gillette and a cheap tub of soap and cheap badger brush off of amazon. I've since upgraded to a Game Changer and a Maggards synthetic brush.

Started in 2015, I believe I came in just when the hobby entered its upwards trend, as well as when the first useable synthetics were introduced (l'Occitane Plisson and later Stirling & Razorock spearheaded the budget synthetic knot market) - which was good timing on my part bc I doubt I would have stayed around if natural bristles had been the only options.

1st Kit I bought for myself via Amazon & local stores:
Merkur 23c
Astra SP
Palmolive Cream
Balea Synthetic Brush (they were relabeled Mühle Synthetics, the black ones)

Dont think I used a bowl, if I did it probably was a musli bowl.

Shave was not good. Loads of nicks and cuts on my head, face was a bit better. Then I became frustrated bc I assembled the baseplate upside down :D Everything worked out in the end, and here I am. Saving money every day :jump:

I started wet shaving when I shaved for the first time. My first setup was a newly acquired Mach 3 and Palmolive cream “borrowed” from my father. I think I shaved my mustache area only, I was 14 or so. I used the Mach 3 for about 3 years and when hair growth got more serious, I realized Mach 3 cartridges were too expensive for me. Inspired by my father (a DE fan), I switched to a DE, which I used for a couple of years before moving on to straight razors. I have never tried trimmers or electric shavers.

Top Bottom