What's new

When did you start to relax and enjoy your shave?

Hi,

I'm a brand-new DE shaver with a couple of shaves under my belt. I've noticed that when using a DE compared to my mach3, I hold my breath with every stroke and don't let it out till I'm swishing the blade in the sink.

At the moment I'm not actually relaxed when shaving and I'm definitely not enjoying it. Does the relaxation and enjoyment come with time or is it simply a confidence thing (again which should just come with time)?

When, after starting with a DE, did you begin to enjoy shaving?

Over time your confidence will grow as your technique improves and you find out what works best for you. I think at that point you will be a little more relaxed. I've been using a DE for 2 years now and I always concentrate on the task at hand and respect the blade.

Been using a DE for about a month and Its very enjoyable. Haven't nicked myself yet since my first shave. I think my wife likes when I shave more though she loves the smell of penhaligon's Blenheim bouquet.

I also notice that I hold my breath more often than not and I'm about 7 weeks in. I still feel that I am fairly relaxed during the process and I enjoy it greatly (when I have made a good lather of course)

I started first with a straight, and then after a month tried DE (I used both now).
I had that sensation when I first started using the straight, although for me using a DE is not much different to a catridge (I mean on strokes and all that, I know DE are way better than catridge).

I have to say, now that I think, I would say after 5 shaves I was no more worring about the blade, I rotate my razors, and usually use a red personna blade.

I think, after a month or probably before that, you'll feel more confident.

The stages I went through were:

1. Anticipation
  2. Trepidation
  3. Intimidation
  4. Exhilaration
  5. Relaxation
  6. Laceration
  7. Consternation
  8. Recrimination
  9. Repetition
  10. Illumination

This usually ends in faceterbation, but, of course, YMMV

Last edited:
I'd say that after about a month things started to come together. A tip: don't vary your shaving kit too much while you are still learning.

The stages I went through were:

1. Anticipation
  2. Trepidation
  3. Intimidation
  4. Exhilaration
  5. Relaxation
  6. Laceration
  7. Consternation
  8. Recrimination
  9. Repetition
  10. Illumination

This usually ends in faceterbation, but, of course, YMMV

You need to expand this to 20 steps ... every even number would be "Aquisition."

Finally, an occasional "Disposition" as stuff gets PIFed or sold off to make room for new goodies.

Hi,

I'm a brand-new DE shaver with a couple of shaves under my belt. I've noticed that when using a DE compared to my mach3, I hold my breath with every stroke and don't let it out till I'm swishing the blade in the sink.

At the moment I'm not actually relaxed when shaving and I'm definitely not enjoying it. Does the relaxation and enjoyment come with time or is it simply a confidence thing (again which should just come with time)?

When, after starting with a DE, did you begin to enjoy shaving?

its both. Your confidence will grow with time. for me, there *wasn't* one day i woke up and said, wow i'm super relaxed with this shave. What happened was gradual, and for th most part i'm zen when i'm shaving, my breathing is deep, slow and regular. my hand steady, my mind calm. i love it.

onee tip, take a few deep breaths and close your eye before the shave.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
its both. Your confidence will grow with time. for me, there was one day i woke up and said, wow i'm super relaxed with this shave. What happened was gradual, and for th most part i'm zen when i'm shaving, my breathing is deep, slow and regular. my hand steady, my mind calm. i love it.

onee tip, take a few deep breaths and close your eye before the shave.

But open them before you start. I mean Zen is great and all, but don't try to use the force, Luke - That's what the mirror is for.

I haven't really noticed my breathing yet. Maybe that's a good thing. I do find wet shaving enjoyable though and I have been at it for a few months now.

About a week ago. When I started using a SE. GEM G-bar to be exact. I find it so less stressful. No strike that I mean its more efficient for me than a DE. Which, I guess does mean less stressful. Also, my lathering skills are coming along nicely which helps the whole experience.

Ray

Ive only been DE shaving for a little bit now - so Im def a newb - but even now I relax and enjoy the shave - I just take it slow and concentrate and don't stress out too much - My problem dosent have to do with worrying about cutting myself - im just waiting to get an acceptable shave - im not there yet so i do one pass or 2 WTG with the DE and finish off with a cartridge razor.

I was a bit tense the first few shaves, but I don't know that I ever noticed my breathing, just my hands (don't want to shave sideways :lol:).

I do remember taking a deep breath before the first pass with a straight, though :lol:.

Maybe you need to cut yourself a few times before you get more comfortable, and maybe you'll always be the extra careful type. As you progress you'll be more comfortable taking chances to some degree or another... or not, as your personality dictates.

I've been using a DE for years, and prefer the most gentle razor because I can lather and do a pass in about a minute without worrying or paying attention. After a few passes, I check where I need another pass and continue. With such a gentle razor, I know that even if my lather's awful, the chances of something bad happening are extremely small. Sure, I could choose to use a more aggressive razor and maybe get fewer passes, but it'll actually take longer to do those fewer passes and be riskier for the same end result.

Been using a straight for nearly 3 months, so maybe that's more relevant. I'm still not completely comfortable, but I know that there's a range of things I can do and try and probably not hurt myself too bad. Then there's things I absolutely need to be very careful about, like going up in the moustache area. I get a weeper or nick every time, but it's not that big a deal. I just go slow and only do things slightly more difficult each day.

Shaving is a skill, just like sports or playing a musical instrument. Push for something difficult too fast, and you end up learning bad habits and may learn to depend on them, limiting your eventual skills. Would you try the triple backward somersault your first day out? Same thing with shaving--regardless of your answer. You're not going to be great at first, so... as Clint says, a shaver's got to know their limitations. Nothing wrong with a bad shave for a beginner.

Learn about your face, your tools, and yourself and choose accordingly.

Last edited:
I started to relax and enjoy it when I realised that it wasn't necessary to get a BBS shave every time. Try to concentrate on the details of what you are actually doing, rather than the end result and comparing it to an M3 shave. Sounds scarily zen-like I know, but it's worked for me.

I was the same when I first started about 2 months ago. It was a combination of excitement of using the fine creams and preparing for the shave combined with apprehension of my technique and cutting myself. I really became nervous before shaving my chin area, and my first against the grain pass.

BUT, after a week of getting good results, and a few minor nicks I became more comfortable and confident. Learning with each pass, refining mistakes, while looking for answers on here at B&B made a lot of difference. This has only happened in last 2 weeks, so its taken me 6 weeks roughly to become less apprehensive and comfortable.

Stick with it, you WILL begin to enjoy it once your start getting some consistent shaves, and then going through the same processes and refining them you will get your first BBS with no nicks or cuts :biggrin:

After that my friend you'll be hooked for life. Keep at it and good luck.

Last edited:
After about three shaves. I felt I could do it safely, i.e. no Van Gogh syndromes, and come out with a respectable shave. Mind you, I felt relaxed at that point, though I still had a great deal of practice to do to get really good at it. As time has passed, I think I've gotten pretty good. Each razor, though, holds its own personality and must be learned upon using the first time.

Top Bottom