What's new

when did shaving cream start happening?

Barbasol (1919) was the first “Brushless” Shave Cream. I do not know if any lather shave creams were commercially available prior to this.

A3B709AA-5565-4172-A012-8287B9035EFD.jpeg

When I bought this a couple of years ago from an antique store the guy told me it was from the late 1800’s. Jars like this were common during the Victorian era for all sorts of things such as tooth powder, cold cream, and potted meats.

The first "true" shaving creams would have to follow World War I and the discovery of synthetic detergents such as triethanolamine. Anything labeled a "cream" before that, such as Cella, would actually be a soft soap.

The first "true" shaving creams would have to follow World War I and the discovery of synthetic detergents such as triethanolamine. Anything labeled a "cream" before that, such as Cella, would actually be a soft soap.
I have a feeling the London perfumes were selling them in the 19th century but I don't have a source to hand. Don't forget these creams though are just soaps with a higher water content.

There are a number which appear in newspaper advertising beginning in the 1830s-1840s.

From 1841
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom