What's new

When did Norton do this?

I can only see these markings when I hold it under the light JUST right. Has anyone got any knowledge of when Norton used markings like these?

The stone is very translucent and uniform. The box was made by the carpenter who sold me the stone.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I can only see these markings when I hold it under the light JUST right. Has anyone got any knowledge of when Norton used markings like these?

The stone is very translucent and uniform. The box was made by the carpenter who sold me the stone.

View attachment 1452228

View attachment 1452229

View attachment 1452230
That looks almost like it was done with a laser! Either way that's one awesome stone. My norton translucent seems to have a somewhat tighter grain(close to a dans black) and my old Norton black slip stone "hard ark" had a tighter grain than my Dan's black. My A.G. Russell "hard ark" (translucent black) is like those 2 norton slip stones had a kid. The grain is a similar tightness. They're almost like very lightly frosted glass.

It seems that I have asked a difficult question.

I find myself wondering if I have purchased a unicorn, and not the good kind of unicorn. It would be just my luck to have bought a stone that loses its identity when washed in something mild, like Dawn dish soap.

I have sent an email off to Norton on this topic. I've never tried to correspond with them, so it's anyone's guess if I will receive a response.

Really not worth getting worried about the lettering. I would venture a guess of pre 2010 and post 1990.
Looks like the lettering wore down, was usually blue. Maybe they used white also, dunno.

Top Bottom