What's new

When crazing goes bad.

$image.jpg

I used it to hone four razors, cleaned it like I always do, dried it with a towel and set it down to air dry, when I went back to the sink to do the same with my 10K that's what I found. First time this has happened to me, crazy.

Ahh that sucks. Maybe just think of it as a koppa and nagura now :)

(actually probably plenty of useful space on the big fragment. But still, ouch.)

WOW! I have never seen anything like that happen before. On the bright side though you now have two hand held sized 5K Stones. But seriously, whoever you bought that from should replace it, that is not acceptable at all.

The only thing I can figure is excessive cycles of wet/dry because I did use it almost daily and with my furnace running 24/7 because it's winter it dries very quickly.

Stone and synthetic stone can be crazy stuff. I have worked a little concrete over the years and trying to make it crack where you want it to and not where you don't was always a pain. No matter what it always seems to find a way to crack in exactly the wrong spot.

The only thing I can figure is excessive cycles of wet/dry because I did use it almost daily and with my furnace running 24/7 because it's winter it dries very quickly.
I've taken to loosely covering my hones with a paper towel while drying to slow the drying down. Colorado is dry all of the time, but especially in winter.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You can get the ventillated Shapton boxes that are supposed to control the drying rate from AFrames. I dry my synthetic hones off and put them in the boxes to finish drying on the counter top.

Cheers, Steve

That is such a violent fissure line; I'd guess no pampering on earth would have prevented it.
It's bizzarely clean, almost like it was torn in half. My guess would be that the batter's density wasn't consistent, seriously so.
At least it waited until you were done.

Yeah. And as others said, it might epoxy or CA well due to the nature of the break. I'd probably write the company with pictures and then just continue using the big piece. Might be nice to see if they send you something for your troubles.

Yeah, I'd do what Stoop recommends. Good service or not, there's no excuse for a stone with that much life left in it breaking like that. You paid for, what, an inch of hone and got maybe 1/16th of that.

What is that, a Chosera? My familiarity with the markings of common synthetics is shamefully lacking.

Ever seen a really old ceramic/porcelain mug where it's covered with an old spiderweb of "cracks" but still holds water fine? That's the glaze on the product "crazing". It's basically when something (usually earthenware, clay, porcelain, etc) gets covered with superficial cracks that make it appear broken, but it's still (in theory) structurally sound.

Top Bottom