What's new

When choosing an outfit, where do you start?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
By which I mean, which item do you select first? Maybe you always pick the shoes first, then work upwards, or maybe you start with a specific tie. For others it might be a specific jacket.

If I have to wear a suit (rarely these days, and I'll probably have to buy another next time), that takes the lead. I then choose the tie next, and that leads me to what shirt I need to finish it off. Otherwise, and almost all the time now, I start with the shirt first, and work outwards from there.

Occasionally, very occasionally, I'll notice a pair of trousers haven't been worn for a while, or pair of shoes, and build around those. Usually though, everything starts with the shirt.

In my life it’s incredibly rare that I need to wear anything more formal than my newest pair of Levi’s and maybe a shirt with a collar. That said, even though my uniform is solidly jeans and a t shirt, I do think carefully about what I wear. I have lots of colorful socks and underwear, so I start by choosing socks and underwear that have a color in common. When possible, I like my socks to also have a color in common with the shirt I’m going to wear. I also have many pairs of Chuck Taylor high tops in various colors and prints, so I also like my shoes to have a color in common with my shirt. This is not to say that on a given day everything but my pants will be red, but that there are common colors that tie everything together.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
That is an interesting question. I think I typically start with outer garments and work inwards. If the weather is right for a sportcoat, sweater, flannel shirt or trucker jacket, I pick that first since it covers most of my upper body and has the biggest visual impact on my presentation. If its too hot for an outer layer, I pick the shirt first for the same reason. Then I pick pants that compliment the top. Then leathers - footwear, belt, watch straps. Then, tie and/or pocket square, if I'm wearing one or both. Finally, an upper base layer that ties everything together best - button up shirt with sportcoast/sweater or t-shirt with flannel/trucker.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

It depends.

If wearing a suit, it's suit->shirt->tie.
For casual, it's whichever shirt is "next" in line, and then the appropriate pants. In certain circumstances, I know I need to wear a certain pair of pants and then pick the shirt to go with the pants.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I’m lucky.
My wife puts my clothing together if I am wearing something more formal than shorts, pullover/T-shirt, and chanclas/tennis shoes.
I’ve never ever cared what I wear.
I’ve worn a uniform to work since I was 15.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I rarely wear a suit, maybe two or three times a year for a business trip. If I was choosing a new suit, I would start with the cufflinks and/or tie first, and build everything else to match those.

Last edited:
Shoes. All depends on whether I'm wearing dress shoes for a meeting or something more comfortable if I have to do any physical work at the office or client that day. Go from there.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Shorts. I wear shorts year round and build around that. Hot, cold, rain, snow, winter or summer…I’m wearing shorts. I’ve converted more pants into shorts than I can think of.
CB633634-64FD-4BFD-8ABA-4CB33F78881A.jpeg

Top Bottom