What's new

When buying a new razor

I bought a new in the box plastic wrapped Boker Edelweiss with instructions about three months ago and it shaved well out of the box. I suspect it was a good 12k edge. I shaved with it once then brought it up to 200k with diamond pasted balsa and then it really shaved. 12k is a bit barbaric for my taste.
I have been impressed with the new Bokers I have bought. Although I honed them it was more of a bevel refresh than a full set and they came up really well pretty quickly. Contrast that with new Dovos which have all taken a lot of work.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks - do you have a favorite place to get a good restored vintage razor?
BST sometimes has a good deal but u got go watch close and pounce quick. Fleabay can be a gold mine but there are some real dogs in disguise. For shave ready, make sure it is a trusted seller.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For new I recommend revisor, or www.thesuperiorshave.com. Revisor won't be shave ready tho. Still it is a great place to look at lots of razors. Jarrod at TSS has good prices on Bismarcks and similar models, shave ready with a pretty good coticule edge.

Boker, Ralf Aust, Koraat come truly shave ready in my opinion

Dovo, on the other hand, does not come ready to shave

+1 on Jarrod and The Superior Shave. Great guy

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have been impressed with the new Bokers I have bought. Although I honed them it was more of a bevel refresh than a full set and they came up really well pretty quickly. Contrast that with new Dovos which have all taken a lot of work.
I bought a Dovo Special and ultimately gave up on it. It was the first razor that ever beat me. I’ll never have another.

I have bought new Dovo SS and Theirs Issard and both are NOT ready to shave my face!
You need to find a good honemeister to get them going....
Even pastes, strops or whatever you want to try....they are still NOT as I would expect, ohh and that hair test, does not translate to real world shaving....unless someones head hair or arms hair is just as beard...NOT mine.

I bought a Dovo Special and ultimately gave up on it. It was the first razor that ever beat me. I’ll never have another.
I have learn more from honing wonky Doves than from honing any other razor.

Because of the challenge they posed they hold a twisted place in heart. Much like their warped blades.

Not sure all Dovos are the same... I have 3 "expensive" ones, 2 ss that seem to be straight and a really expensive Loewe....that one is almost usable w diamond pastes x 3 and stropping.... I am growing a beard and hence haven't sent it to a honemeister..... I have other cheaper blades that I kind of honed and 50% turned ok the rest are unusable.

Dovo claims their razors are shave ready from the factory, but the one I purchased certainly was not. If you purchase one from Jarrod at TSS, he will hone it for you. Many of the better vendors will hone the razor. Some of the lesser vendors say their razors are shave ready, but they are not unless your standards are quite low.

If you get a razor from Ralf Aust or Heribert Wacker it may be shave ready, or at least very close. I purchased a Jerry Stark custom that was supposed to have been honed on a Zulu Grey, but I still had to rehone it. I did get some Brian Brown semi-custom razors that were fully shave ready.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Not sure all Dovos are the same... I have 3 "expensive" ones, 2 ss that seem to be straight and a really expensive Loewe....that one is almost usable w diamond pastes x 3 and stropping.... I am growing a beard and hence haven't sent it to a honemeister..... I have other cheaper blades that I kind of honed and 50% turned ok the rest are unusable.
You are right. They are most certainly NOT the same. "Best" and "Special" and any other entry level Dovo razors are subject to be very wonky and require harsh medicine to straighten out, and as a consequence, FWIW, they usually can be made to shave but will never be beauty queens afterward unless you make a lucky pick. The better Dovos IME and IMHO are pretty good, but still most definitely NOT shave ready from the factory, in any reasonable interpretation of the term. However, they will all hone up nicely enough. The Bismarck, BL, and Prima Klang come to mind, and are all three favorites of mine. I don't currently have any of the latter two but I have at least 7 Bismarcks, 3 or maybe 4 of them by Dovo, and no complaints on them.

You’re a persistence honer dude. Lol
I have spent the day honing. 3 razors have come up well. A fourth - a vintage Sheffield that I have honed a number of times and which still shaves like a dog - is barely better. I do not want it to be the razor that defeats me...

Okay,
For better or worse, I've ordered a vintage Maples &Co "Beehive, Fine surgical steel" razor from Griffith Shave Goods. He even gave me a 15% discount from an email I got after I ordered.

I'm very interested in how this first shave is going to go.
Thanks again for all the input.
It will come with a nice sharp and keen edge from Griffith......i have boight a couple from them over the years and have never been dissappointed.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have spent the day honing. 3 razors have come up well. A fourth - a vintage Sheffield that I have honed a number of times and which still shaves like a dog - is barely better. I do not want it to be the razor that defeats me...
I have a Heljestrand that I haven’t “perfected”. I used Shapton stones prior to the pasted balsa progression and I’m retreating to 8k but using film then balsa. I believe the problem is the sheer hardness of Swedish steel but have the same problem with a Dorko. Since I strop on .1u balsa after each shave, I really don’t benefit from extra hard steel anyway.

I have a Heljestrand that I haven’t “perfected”. I used Shapton stones prior to the pasted balsa progression and I’m retreating to 8k but using film then balsa. I believe the problem is the sheer hardness of Swedish steel but have the same problem with a Dorko. Since I strop on .1u balsa after each shave, I really don’t benefit from extra hard steel anyway.
Whilst I enjoy a method edge on a stainless blade, I find it too harsh for Swedish steel. It could be in my head, but really only like a coticule edge on a Swedish blade.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Whilst I enjoy a method edge on a stainless blade, I find it too harsh for Swedish steel. It could be in my head, but really only like a coticule edge on a Swedish blade.
I have taken a few to primo method edges comparable to Solingen it just takes more effort. I prefer the feeling of “sharp” to a soft feeling edges. Even shavettes make my face happy.

Top Bottom