What's new

When are Holiday Decorations Acceptable?

When are Holiday Decorations Acceptable?

• After Halloween

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • After Thanksgiving

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • On December 1st

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • I keep my Christmas lights on on my front porch all year long

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I’m a Grinch

Votes: 22 23.9%

• Total voters
I absolutely abhor all the inflatable sh*t. Really chaps my sideburns.

I usually will be up on the roof on Thanksgiving weekend for the lights, and then everything goes slowly up. Then it comes down after the first.

My wife and I came to an arrangement YEARS ago that sees the Christmas tree up on the first weekend in December, along with the outdoor lights. I am allowed to put the lights up sooner to take advantage of mild weather, but I never do.

This year the tree is already up, as we are testing our two newest cats to see how "destructive" they may be. So far so good. Lights will go on this weekend and, if all goes well, decorations will follow a few days later.

Honestly, if the "Christmas stuff" is already out mid-November, then I am usually fed up with it all by the time Christmas actually arrives.

I believe in holding off until AFTER Remembrance Day (Veterans Day in the USA), as I think that starting to decorate before then tends to distract from the solemnity of the Day, and I think that NOTHING should be allowed to compromise the honouring of our Veterans, and the sacred dead among their ranks. Others may feel differently, and that is their right, but the ONLY decoration I will allow between Hallowe'en and November 12th is the Red Poppy.

When I lived in Virginia, the weather was not generally a factor, so Christmas decorations were put up the day after Thanksgiving and taken down on New Year's Day. However, now that I live in Northern Illinois, weather is definitely a factor. This year, the temperature warmed into the 40s a few days before Thanksgiving, so we started putting up the decorations. However, the wind was expected to get up to 60 mph, so did not hang the lighted wreath until yesterday. We have some large ornaments to hang on one of our trees. Although the wind has subsided, it is raining today, so we will wait.

One year, we got a couple of feet of snow right after Thanksgiving and the snow did not melt until March, so I was not able to take down the decorations until Spring.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The real question is when do you take them down?

I know many folks that can't tear things down fast enough when they hit December 26. They can't get them up fast enough after Halloween, yet they forget that December 25 only is the first day of Christmas.

I know many folks that can't tear things down fast enough when they hit December 26. They can't get them up fast enough after Halloween, yet they forget that December 25 only is the first day of Christmas.
They come down on New Years Day. If the weather is bitterly cold, outside lights may stay up longer, but not turned on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

First weekend after New Year's the interior stuff is stowed. Outdoor lights come down when practical due to weather, but the lights stay off in any event.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Christmas Eve is good. Then they can come down Boxing Day. :)

Then theres a neighbor up the street from me that put out a Santa Sleigh and Reindeer, lighted, two weeks before Halloween...

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Houston...we have a problem. She's already swatting at the decorations. At least she's not climbing up in it like she did when she was little.

1575249265963.png

Houston...we have a problem. She's already swatting at the decorations. At least she's not climbing up in it like she did when she was little.

Uh oh! We have a 2 year old cat that has limited our decorating abilities. We haven’t had any problems with the tree, but our 7 month old kitten may change that in a hurry.

Well, for Christmas decorations, I become weary of them after a couple of weeks, but I have little say in the matter. The family goes in for a lot of decorations, but I'm mindful that what goes up, must come down.

Uh oh! We have a 2 year old cat that has limited our decorating abilities. We haven’t had any problems with the tree, but our 7 month old kitten may change that in a hurry.

Once saw our tree shaking violently, ornaments flying. This was immediately followed by the cat sticking his head out and looking to see what he'd managed to shake off.

Fortunately, he seems to have outgrown it. I still both weight down the stand with a couple of bags of sand, and tie a string from the trunk to a nail over the window facing, just in case.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My oldest daughter was born on December 11, way too many moons ago. To keep her birthday special, my wife and wouldn't put up Christmas decorations until after her birthday. So she gets married, has kids and puts up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. Here we thought we were doing the right thing and she tells us she always hated having to wait until after her birthday for the tree and decorations to go up. Ya can't win.
Ever hear the Jethro Tull song 'Birthday card at Christmas'?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Total Grinch here. Zero decorations in my house. I'll buy presents for the nephews and nieces, thankfully no kids of my own that I know of, but I'll visit them and tolerate their gawdiness for a couple of hours. Then I'll return to the refuge, sanity and lower flammability of my Christmas free lair. I despise shopping at this time of year too.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In Canada, things are a little simpler, in that we have thanksgiving in October. Then Remembrance Day in November (the 11th, for those of you who grew up in Axis countries). So up here, I'm okay tolerating the Xmas stuff by mid-November. But I'll far more respect those who can wait until December.

Dunno how youse all feel about Thanksgiving/Christmas overlap.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In the Philippines it all starts 01 September. Decorations go up and carols start to be played in department stores.

Filipinos must be very religious.

Top Bottom