What's new

When are Holiday Decorations Acceptable?

When are Holiday Decorations Acceptable?

• After Halloween

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • After Thanksgiving

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • On December 1st

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • I keep my Christmas lights on on my front porch all year long

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I’m a Grinch

Votes: 22 23.9%

• Total voters
This appeared at the main lobby of my apartment complex today. I am not sure this would ever be acceptable.

124099728_10160353836953275_5156744869522942383_o.jpg

Here in Chicagoland it was in the mid 70s F yesterday. One of my neighbors was putting up Christmas decorations. I normally put them up the day after Thanksgiving, but the extended weather forecast is predicting cold snowy weather that day. Thus, I might try getting some of the outdoor lights up today, even though I won't turn them on until later.

Normally, after Thanksgiving.

2020, whenever. I could use the spirit boost.

Planning to get the lights up this week, even if I don't turn them on for a while yet.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Bump.

I normally don't decorate, but obtained some Christmas stuff in January. If I wait too close to Christmas, I'm not going to have the desire or motivation to put anything up. If I do anything outside, at most, I'll probably just wrap some Christmas lights around the railing of my front porch. I have a wreath now as well, but the wreath, and possibly lights, won't go up until right after Thanksgiving. My interior decorations I might put up the day after Veterans Day. The holidays stress me out, so if I wait until after Thanksgiving, there's a chance I might get overwhelmed and not put anything up inside. If people were coming over to my place for Thanksgiving, then I would wait, but since I'll be away for that weekend, I might just get the decorations up and be done with it.

The Advent begins four Sundays before Christmas. I shouldn't put up decorations before the first Sunday of Advent. It amounts to celebrating Christmas outside of the religious Christmas season. On the other end, I shouldn't take decorations down before Epiphany or Three Kings day on January 6th, the last event of the Christmas calendar. To do so may be seen as indifference to the religious aspect of the holiday.
Of course, what's acceptable is a matter of opinion...and that's my opinion.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
As a kid, my mother would start putting up the Christmas decorations on the day after Thanksgiving.

According to my wife, she puts up Holloween decorations the 1st of Oct. Then the 1st of Nov the T-day stuff comes out the Holloween stuff gets put away. Then Black Friday, the day after T-day the Christmas stuff comes out and T-day stuff goes away. Jan 1st its all put away for another year.

But don't forget about Easter, vet day, Independance day, etc, etc...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The period of time between taking down Christmas lights and putting them up keeps getting shorter.
It's much easier to do it when it's sunny and warm than when there's snow on the ground.

We put our tree up two weeks before Christmas and take it down on 5th January.
We don’t bother with decorations, just some holly and mistletoe, and a wreath for the front door.
Up until a couple of years before Covid we use to drive out to pick up a tree from a nursery or market, and the Stilton from one of the creameries.
Now we just have an artificial tree and Stilton from a local shop.

Our Halloween decorations never get taken down. It's a year round thing at our place. Guessing we'll have the Christmas tree up by next weekend and it will stay up till the end of January.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
For me it was very interesting to learn how early here in the US the Christmas decorations come out. I think in my town there are two houses I can see a Christmas tree being up all year. This is odd, at least for me who comes from a total different cultural background. When I was a kid, yes I know this was a long time ago....my dad worked only a half day on Christmas eve. After he came home, we had lunch and then he started to decorate the tree. Very conservative, only silver tinsel, white real candles and silver ornaments. The tree was then lit in the evening - in Germany the presents are given on Christmas eve. Then again in the next two days Christmas and Boxing day, and maybe one or two more times on New-years eve and New Years. The tree came down on January the 6th.

For me it was very interesting to learn how early here in the US the Christmas decorations come out. I think in my town there are two houses I can see a Christmas tree being up all year. This is odd, at least for me who comes from a total different cultural background. When I was a kid, yes I know this was a long time ago....my dad worked only a half day on Christmas eve. After he came home, we had lunch and then he started to decorate the tree. Very conservative, only silver tinsel, white real candles and silver ornaments. The tree was then lit in the evening - in Germany the presents are given on Christmas eve. Then again in the next two days Christmas and Boxing day, and maybe one or two more times on New-years eve and New Years. The tree came down on January the 6th.
It was the same here in the U.K. when I was growing up. Mum always decorated the tree on Christmas Eve, but ours was taken down on 5th January.

Halloween stuff October 15. Down Nov 1 Xmas stuff Black Friday (perfect excuse to NOT go shopping with the SO) down the weekend following the first of January

Top Bottom