What's new

When are Holiday Decorations Acceptable?

When are Holiday Decorations Acceptable?

• After Halloween

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • After Thanksgiving

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • On December 1st

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • I keep my Christmas lights on on my front porch all year long

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I’m a Grinch

Votes: 22 23.9%

• Total voters
Every Black Friday I go to war with my brother-in-law who refuses to help with Christmas lights because it’s not December yet. I am firmly an after Thanksgiving decorator, but I figured I’d post this poll to get some feedback on the age old argument that has divided families and ended marriages for millennia.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
After Thanksgiving when you take those decorations down. If not you'd have Santa out with the turkey and pumpkins. I saw Santa beat up on a turkey once.

Christmas season comes with Santa Claus in the Macy Day parade. That's the way it has been since the time of Jesus and the Wise Guys.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My partner is from the Philippines where Christmas celebrations begin when the month ends with "ber". Shops there have festive decorations and music from September 1st - it is maddening. Every single room in our UK home resembles Santa's Grotto Of Tasteless Vulgarity for months on end. But, it is important to her which makes it important to me; she is the love of my life and she puts up with my shaving gear all year...... :laugh:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My partner is from the Philippines
Every single room in our UK home resembles [a]Grotto Of Tasteless Vulgarity
it is important to her which makes it important to me

Filipino curtains?

1574895380502.png

My partner is from the Philippines where Christmas celebrations begin when the month ends with "ber". Shops there have festive decorations and music from September 1st - it is maddening. Every single room in our UK home resembles Santa's Grotto Of Tasteless Vulgarity for months on end. But, it is important to her which makes it important to me; she is the love of my life and she puts up with my shaving gear all year...... :laugh:
Thank goodness my wife, who is also from the Philippines, has a bit more restraint. But some of the decor she puts could cause epileptic attacks and or attract rednecks from a thousand miles away.

My oldest daughter was born on December 11, way too many moons ago. To keep her birthday special, my wife and wouldn't put up Christmas decorations until after her birthday. So she gets married, has kids and puts up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. Here we thought we were doing the right thing and she tells us she always hated having to wait until after her birthday for the tree and decorations to go up. Ya can't win.

I am not against Christmas decorations at any time. We don't decorate for Thanksgiving and ignore Halloween, with the exception of giving candy to trick or treaters. We put a few up last week, but generally don't start until Thanksgiving. We put the outside lights up this afternoon and all but one of the kids are decorating the Christmas tree as I type.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My partner is from the Philippines where Christmas celebrations begin when the month ends with "ber". Shops there have festive decorations and music from September 1st - it is maddening. Every single room in our UK home resembles Santa's Grotto Of Tasteless Vulgarity for months on end. But, it is important to her which makes it important to me; she is the love of my life and she puts up with my shaving gear all year...... [emoji23]
I like it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Guess it is up to the owner, but some of the tasteless crappola that festoons yards around here from October to March out to be against the law. Inside the home, that's fine, but the outside stuff increasingly irritates me. Don't know exactly why, but I'm just thinking Jesus has very little connection with powered blowup animated yard balloons. Get Off My Lawn Syndrome likely

So, in the humbug camp, even so soon after the dual traditions of Motown's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and the Lions losing again..

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This year I gave in. I just accepted that all the holidays will be out in force sometime in September. I no longer care. Leave them up all year. Makes no difference to me. I put mine up when the weather is nice. November sometime usually. Take it down sometime in January on a nice day.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
some of the tasteless crappola that festoons yards around here from October to March out to be against the law. Inside the home, that's fine, but the outside stuff increasingly irritates me. Don't know exactly why, but I'm just thinking Jesus has very little connection with powered blowup animated yard balloons. Get Off My Lawn Syndrome likely
"Get off your lawn"

Top Bottom