What's new

When and why did Gillette introduce blade gaps?

All of us know that Gillette Old Type do not have a real blade gap and that if a blade gap is visible this comes from the curvature of the base plate. Interestingly, open comb TTO razors as well as the first close comb TTO razors such as the Ranger Tech share this design feature.

For me personally, such razors used at a steep angle give the best result. I wonder what the reason was to introduce blade gaps... And of course why I can't handle razors with blade gap :)

Thanks,

Sami

R

romsitsa

New improved, Gillette called it fulcrum shoulders. And Iirc the survivng prototype (pre-double ring) also has a gap.

All of us know that Gillette Old Type do not have a real blade gap and that if a blade gap is visible this comes from the curvature of the base plate. Interestingly, open comb TTO razors as well as the first close comb TTO razors such as the Ranger Tech share this design feature.

For me personally, such razors used at a steep angle give the best result. I wonder what the reason was to introduce blade gaps... And of course why I can't handle razors with blade gap :)

Thanks,

Sami
New improved, Gillette called it fulcrum shoulders. And Iirc the survivng prototype (pre-double ring) also has a gap.

Good questions, sakaltras. I'm glad you asked.

When: 1920

Basic classification: "New Improved"* - To me, the basic form is the "New Standard," also available in luscious gold:

Not to be confused with "The New," as Gillette called it, which was introduced in 1929, and was subsequently given the neologism of "New Type," vs. the "Old Type," which you talk about. The New Improved had a flat bottom, unlike the later more widely available New Types.

Why: To charge more money for their razors, sometimes A LOT MORE, as you can see from the sumptuous fantasia of razors on the Mr. Razor website.

1920s Old Type DeLuxe - Canada.jpg

Also, Gillette needed new patents. And, of course, the new design was more aggressive. Presumably, some people wanted a more aggressive razor, and were tired of the one size fits all approach of the Old Type.

We see the beginning of the Gillette strategy of introducing new razors that make their old models look old-fashioned and fusty.

What I wonder about is when Gillette stopped making the New Improved? Did it continue past the introduction of the New Type, perhaps in England? Also, how much customization did they offer? We see with the Tiffany model and the JFK razor that monograms were available.

-=-

* We know from the plethora of print ads that Gillette had an outside advertising agency, or at least a large internal marketing department (I wonder which?).

Is this the best they could come up with: "New Improved," "New Standard," etc.?

I hope they didn't pay a lot for those names.

I wonder if Gillette trademarked them?

Last edited:

Also, Gillette needed new patents. And, of course, the new design was more aggressive.

What I wonder about is when Gillette stopped making the New Improved?

You are right concerning patents. There were a number of competitors producing clones of the Old Type so Gillettte needed a legal way to avoid this... Concerning aggressiveness I'm not sure because Old Types are at least to my feeling quite aggressive. I would say they belong to the most aggressive Gillette ever produced.

I assume Gillette stopped producing the NEW Improved because of the costs. I would expect they are much more expensive to produce than the later Gillette NEWs.

Thanks,

Sami

R

romsitsa

I assume Gillette stopped producing the NEW Improved because of the costs. I would expect they are much more expensive to produce than the later Gillette NEWs.

Thanks,

Sami
They didn't stop New improved production, only altered the design to accept the New (slotted) blade. This was the New De Luxe line which was available till the TTO and Tech completely took over (around 1939-40).
Problem was that the New improved didn't sell well nor did the New De luxe (later was introduced in the middle of the financial crisis).
Profit came from blades and from the 30ies mostly from the European markets.

They didn't stop New improved production, only altered the design to accept the New (slotted) blade. This was the New De Luxe line which was available till the TTO and Tech completely took over (around 1939-40).
Problem was that the New improved didn't sell well nor did the New De luxe (later was introduced in the middle of the financial crisis).
Profit came from blades and from the 30ies mostly from the European markets.
So this explains why the NEW improved and even more the Deluxe are a bit rare. Thanks!

In terms of aggressiveness, I thought they got less aggressive over time. Is that incorrect? Are the OLD type less aggressive than the New because of the lack of blade gap? Thanks, JM

In terms of aggressiveness, I thought they got less aggressive over time. Is that incorrect? Are the OLD type less aggressive than the New because of the lack of blade gap? Thanks, JM
Today morning I have used a Thin Cap Old Type, 3 piece. It is surely quite efficient. I would not call it aggressive because I have no irritation and no blood, but BBS.

Are are a number of factors influencing the "aggressiveness" of a razor. Mostly blade exposure, at least to my experience. So the combination of all factors is important...

Not to get away from the subject of blade Gap but. Isn't the improvement of the sharpness of blades, coatings etc. also a factor of razor aggressiveness?

Not to get away from the subject of blade Gap but. Isn't the improvement of the sharpness of blades, coatings etc. also a factor of razor aggressiveness?

Some blades are said to be more aggressive than others. I think when you talk about a razor and its aggressiveness we always have a certain blade choice in mind.

Top Bottom