What's new

When 8/8 is not 8/8

What do you do when you advertise you are looking for an 8/8 or larger razor and someone contacts you and ends up selling you an 8/8 razor but when you receive it you measure the blade and find it is not an 8/8 razor? :huh: At the widest point on this blade I measure it 21mm but closer to 20mm in width which makes it 0.78 of an inch. I paid good money for what I thought would be an 8/8 or 25.4mm wide blade. :glare:

FYI I have (just now) emailed the seller asking for a return and the money was sent via paypal. It is as it looked in the pics although I didn't see pics next to a tape measure. I would like to think the seller didn't know any better but maybe I am too trusting for my own good.

So what would you do?? When you sell a razor do you overstate or understate the size?

I've sold 8/8" razors that had been honed down (but still were a lot bigger than 7/8") and I sell them as "Nearly 8/8" ". I also ALWAYS have a razor + ruler picture with anything over 7/8". Since most "choppers" edge depth varies a LOT, I want to make it clear where I'm measuring my stated depth to the bidder.

I've bought a 9/8" razor that just barely made 8/8" (it was also advertised as shave ready and couldn't cut paper when it arrived). Basically unless I see a razor with a ruler in a picture on eBay I assume the seller is overstating the size by at least a 16th of an inch. If I got one that was 3/16" less than what the seller had called it, I would strongly consider returning it, but it would depend on my cost vs the hassle. 8/8" vs 7/8" is a BIG difference on eBay. I've seen rough condition 8/8" razors sell for 3-4x what better condition and otherwise identical 7/8" ones do. For instance if you bought a 8/8" W&B chopper in good condition and it came in at under 7/8", you just got a razor that's worth about a third of what you paid for on eBay.

This seller contacted me on here from a WTB and is also on SRP, if it was ebay I would have handled it differently. I guess I have learnt a lesson there in itself...

I give the size in fractions of inches, but if it's not an easy one to one pin down, I'll give the mm, too.
If a supposed 8/8 is .78, that's pretty off. That's 6/8-13/16...

The seller seemed genuinely sorry but offered only a small partial refund so I am sending it back for a full refund minus shipping...

here's a pic at the toe end:

proxy.php

Last edited:
So what would you do?? When you sell a razor do you overstate or understate the size?

Well, ask for a refund. 8/8 blades are thought to be more valuable than smaller blades. I don't know why, but it seems that rule is "The bigger, the better".

I also ALWAYS have a razor + ruler picture with anything over 7/8". Since most "choppers" edge depth varies a LOT, I want to make it clear where I'm measuring my stated depth to the bidder.

Ian's right. Putting a ruler is always a good way to show the REAL measure of the blade.

Wow, that's well short. Not even close. I'm sorry but you'd have to be dishonest to sell that as an 8/8. If you are not getting a full refund plus shipping, you should name the party so no one else gets caught.

I agree, insist on a full refund including return shipping . . . that is simply not an 8/8 blade as it was represented as. Any honourable B&B member should take responsibility for the discrepency, accept a return and provide a refund, IMHO.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's a huge difference... Happy that you can get it exchange Marc!

Top Bottom