Head Cheese Head Chef
Money wise, where do you draw the line?

Razor?

Brush?

Soap/Cream?

Blades?

AS?

Me...

Razor $200... But I have a few years left in me.

Brush - $60 yet I've never come close, I'm a synthetic man... Averaging $17 a brush at the moment.

Soap/Cream $25...

Blades - the sky is the limit. It is part of what drew me to DE shaving.

AS - hmmm... Let's say $25, I'd do it or more but haven't met that scent yet.

Looking for your thrift input and you bug spenders. Where do you draw the line?

Good thread topic! My limits are as follows (though i’ve not yet hit any.)

Razor: $150
Brush: $75
Soaps: $35
Blades: $50 per 100
Aftershave: $100

I’m pretty minimalist by forum standards; only 2 razors, 4 brushes, about 125 blades and 1-3 soaps at a time. So when i buy something it’s generally more high end and used heavily. But aftershaves are where i spend $. I have 20 splashes and 2 balms and i’ve been eyeing a bottle of Floris for awhile. I’m currently in the 4 year restraint so i’m only buying to replace but when that’s over i could see splurging on some aftershaves.

Very good question and I never really thought about it.

Razor - My Rockwell 6S was over $100 and I can’t see paying much more than that in the future. MAYBE $150 for the right razor down the road.

Brush - I have spent about $50 on a Simpson’s Best Badger and would likely go $100 for a bigger Simpson.

Soap/Cream - $25 TOPS. It’s soap after all.

Blades - I guess $30-40/100? Whatever KAI and Feather cost. Most of my stash are under $20/100.

AS - $30/100ml would be my max from a shaving soap artisan. Maybe more for an actual scent from a top perfume house I had to have.

OK, let me start out by saying I am cheap. I have lived paycheck to paycheck for years, only enjoying plenty in recent years.

My threshold for DE razors is fairly low, about the most paid has been $40 or $45,and that was for a razor for one of my kids. I spent $65 on a professionally honed straight, but most of mine were under $20.

Soaps run less than $15, usually Sterling or Captain's Choice. There are a couple higher priced soaps I would like to try some day, but only samples.

The only AS I have is from Captain's. I love the Nor'Easter. It is the best scent I have tried, in my opinion of course.

Brushes? I have a Semogue that was under $15. I have two brushes that were gifted to me and wouldn't part with them for any price. My wife has a large Semogue that may have been slightly more than $15.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Razor..... $600

Soap...... $35

Brush...... $100

Aftershave...... $45

Blades........ $2 each

My most expensive razor cost me $225. I've never spent more than $20 on a soap, $15 on an aftershave, and $60 on a brush.

So my 'thresholds' are much higher than what i've actually spent. For me to spend that kind of money, it would have to be something really special, something really rare, or something I have wanted for a long time. I have no plans to spend that kind of money on any of the above items.

I never thought of limits when purchasing shaving items but I guess my limits are what I have being willing to pay for my best gear:

My best razor is a Feather SS Artist Club which I paid half of what is worth ($60 dlls) if I would’ve known I would love it so much before buying and trying I would definitely drop $120 dlls for it.

Soap: $15 which is what I usually pay for a puck of tabac, arguably best performance soap I’ve come across, no need to go explore more expensive soaps.

Brush: $20 since is what my atomic rocket is worth, a fabulous synthetic and lather monster!

Aftershave: The most I’ve paid is around $16 dlls for a 16 oz Lucky Tiger which is as good as it gets in my book with all those wonderful skin food ingredients.

Those are my most expensive items so there is my threshold!

Razor: $20 I do vintage and found all I want under that price.
Blades: $25 per 100. Gems, DEs are much less expensive.
Soaps: $20 PdP, Cade are my higher priced soaps that I use.
Brushes: $45 That will buy a very nicely handled boar brush.
Aftershave: $15

Prices are a little higher than I have spent on anything, but close enough. Of course any drastic change in the prices of items or inflation over time would cause me to adjust my thresholds.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Razor: $250 - on the wait list for a Wolfman...
Brush: $35
Soaps: $25
Blades: $30 per 100
Aftershave: $30
Cologne: $55

Interesting topic....I really don't have a limit on a Razor...I am on the wait list for a Wolfman...As for a brush?...I have a $havemac ...And I am working on a Brush that I will realistically have over $300+ in T&M on it...Soap is around $20....Blades I would say $35 per 100.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am not into aesthetics, history or rarity with my shaving stuff, just how well they do their job and last.
  • Straight Razor limit is about USD 100 with my current 37 SR's (all new) averaging out at somewhere between USD 40 to 50.
  • Brush limit is now about USD 20, after discovering synthetic brushes.
  • Soap/cream limit is about USD 10 for something that works well and will last me about 150 to 200 shaves.
  • Blades is nil.
  • Aftershave limit is about USD 10 per litre which is what I am paying now for aftershaves that work well for me.
  • Strop limit would be about USD 50, but it would need to be bloody good as I have 6 left that work well and each cost less than USD 30.

Last edited:
Razors: $200
Blades: $20 per 100
Brushes: $60
Soaps: $25
AS: $30

Even though I am retired, I still have a few good years left to try shaving items. I will admit to going over my $200 limit on razors when I added a stand, but felt it necessary. Had been using synthetic brushes but recently have been turned onto Badger Silvertip brushes. May have to up my limit on brushes if I try a Manchurian, but that's to be seen.

Razors $200
Custom synthetics $60
My blade of choice is $7.99/100
Soaps I am set on M&M and Stirling so $20/5.5 oz
AS I use Prorasso green and a bottle of Stirling orange chill witch hazel aloe $15 and under

Last edited:
So, these numbers may be my limit, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t topped them at some point in my career for something special. This is looking forward.

Razor: $270
Brush: $130
Blade: $.17
Soap: $40
Aftershave: $50

Now that I've gotten everything dialed in
Razor: $400 Canadian for another stainless Wolfman unless James offers titanium again, then $650 Canadian
Brush: $45 for another Semogue SOC Taj boar, although I've spent $150 for a custom Doug Korn badger
Blade: $0.20 for Gillette Rubie and $0.15 for Gillette Nacet
Soap: $15 for Stirling Sheep or Mike's Unscented
AS balm: $15 for Proraso white

Well, I've spent more than the following numbers, but at this point, I wouldn't:

Razor - $60
Brush - $60
Blade - $0.50
Soap - $5/oz.
Aftershave - $8/oz.

For the record, this would buy a vintage Red Tip, an SOC Mistura, Med Prep blades, any number of great soaps, and C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal Tonic.

I can't see spending more than $50 on a razor or a brush. Feather blades are the most expensive I'll go for, because they work. More than about $15 for a tub of soap is crazy. And it would have to be a pretty spectacular aftershave or cologne for me to go over $25 for, say, 50ml.

I'm cheap; stipulated.

Top Bottom