What's new

What's Your Therapy?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hand watering the grass in the morning along with the garden plants is some how soothing. Guess it's the flow of the water. The rhythm of chopping veggies in the kitchen can do it too. Strumming the guitar with nothing planned to be played is nice. Whipping up a good face lather. Sharpening or honing my knives can be surprising therapeutic. But probably just taking a long walk is the best.

What's your therapy??

A night with the telescopes, a great tobacco in a good pipe, playing with the dogs, woodworking, fishing, a nice bottle of wine, noodling around on the Mandolin, ...

Yard work doesn't do it for me, though I don't mind mowing when it is cool, the rest of it is a chore. I do need to walk more, just don't get around to it.

I find walking in the woods therapeutic. I usually walk 3.5 to 5 miles a day. Hit my high for the summer so far Friday, at a little over 9 miles. Definitely helps keep my head screwed on straight. Also went from 204lbs to 164lbs in 12 months, dropped my blood pressure to 100/65, pulse to 55. That’s a significant side benefit.

Solitude... it used to be a long run or hours long bicycle rides back when the knees still felt reasonable. Now a solo walk through deserted streets after the non-vampires are all asleep. Billy Holiday and a crossword puzzle after the house is asleep. Shovelling snow with earbuds plugged into a randomly, multi-genre loaded ipod, the rest of the world ceases to exist.

Used to spend hours upon hours designing circuit boards, PCB's, and vacuum tube circuit layouts, a total escape into another world within my head.

Other times i would spend entire days with my guitars, lost.

Any type of creating/making.

Creating...

Solitude.

dave

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Gardening, cooking, fishing, working on anything mechanical. Building something. I get great satisfaction out of creating, producing, and fixing.

Also, reading before bed, listening to music with a nice drink in hand...

There is nothing, I mean nothing, more serene, relaxing and exhilarating than walking a flat in Belize, alone as far as the eye can see...then hooking up with a 7 lb bonefish. Heaven. Therapy.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
"I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away"

My job requieres me to be at the farm right before sunrise, so a good cup of coffee and watching the sun come up on the horizon is perfect to start the day, after work my afternoon shave and play with my kiddos is the perfect wat to wind down, never thought of it as therapy, but sure works that way!

Looking at ducklings in the wild. Seriously. Every other thought just falls away.

Flying a kite. Preferably one that I've made.

Sewing/building a kite.

Snowshoeing in the forest.

Mowing the lawn or shoveling snow off the driveway, while listening to "North Sea Surf Radio" streaming to my iPod via wifi.

Aimless noodling on an electric guitar (Jaguar, Les Paul, Strat) with headphones late at night. Needs lots of reverb.

Sitting at the window seat in my favourite café while there's pounding rain or a blizzard outside. Coffee, journal, fountain pen.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sitting under a shade tree when its extremely hot with a cold beer with no electronics to distract the beauty of nature that surrounds me. Having walks when the weather is great and just seeing the changes that occur where we live, amazing how much human progress can change the surroundings.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
When I am home; Bose QC30 wireless headphones listening to whatever I am feeling that day.

If things are really bad I go to the ranch and sit in a blind overnight and just listen to sounds of the wild.

If things are really really bad I’ll take a rifle and shoot a hog!!

Very relaxing!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
When I am home; Bose QC30 wireless headphones listening to whatever I am feeling that day.

If things are really bad I go to the ranch and sit in a blind overnight and just listen to sounds of the wild.

If things are really really bad I’ll take a rifle and shoot a hog!!

Very relaxing!!
It's time to smoke a ferral whole hog. Now that's therapy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I guess mowing the yard. I put the earplugs in and I’m in the zone. Around and around and around.

Top Bottom