What's new

What’s Your Take on Pre Shave Oil/Cream

Are you a pre shave oil or cream hater, lover or just plain indifferent?

• Lover

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Hater

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
I've had commercial pre-shave oils and creams, but really like making my own. My base is a mix of castor and avocado oils with some essential oils thrown in (usually a lot of tea tree oil too). I love the post shave feel and my skin looks pretty good for my age.

I have been using pre shave oil after not shaving for a few days mostly when shaving my head. I have noticed that the short hairs tend to "stand up" more after applying the oil.

Tried a bunch over the years. Currently using bump patrol gel. Just lather up whatever soap on top. Slickness is off the charts. This is essentially an Uber lather, but it works for me

Cool thread..Ive used Proraso red/green since I first started traditional wet shaving & love it. It wouldnt feel right if I missed a shave without it now.

I have read quite a bit about pre-shave oil. What I have found is that those folks who are for or against it give their opinions without any real factual basis. Rather they rely on their experiences or in many cases what they “think” is logical. I have yet to find a scientific study to show whether pre shave oil is necessary, a gimmick, or even how it works. Articles have appeared in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, and the Dermalinstitute and have come up contradictory conclusions.

Some say the theory of pre-shave oil is to give your skin an added layer of protection before applying a shaving soap or cream lather. Also, some say it acts as a lubricant and helps the razor glide over their skin. Also, they find that pre-shave oil moisturizes the skin and protects the skin from razor burn or irritation. Others disagree with all of the above.

Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. As you may find out some on B&B think it is a waste of time and others think it helped them get a better shave. Some say it clogs their razor and ruins brushes and some say it does no such thing. Pre-shave oil is one of those things that brings out a lot of controversy.

When I first started shaving in the 1950s my teenage skin was very sensitive but I had a wiry beard. The result was irritation, particularly on my neck. The barber I went to, Sal, gave many straight shaves to his customers. I noticed he had an elaborate procedure in which he massaged some cream onto the face of the persons being shaved and put a hot towel on the face and neck. Next, he would take the towel, dip it in warm water and take off any of the remaining cream he had applied and wet the customer's face and neck. Next, he took a substance in a bottle and would apply that to the individual's face and neck massaging it in, then apply lather, and shave.

I told Sal my woe of irritation and he gave me a sample bottle of this mysterious substance, which turned out to be a pre-shave oil used by some barbers. He instructed me on how to apply it. He told me to wet my face put a few drops of oil on my hands and in his words work it on my beard. For the first time, I was able to get irritation free shaves. It may have been that my technique was not the best but I am reasonably certain my lathering and shaving skills did not develop overnight. Sal ordered a large bottle of PSO and that lasted for many years. Eventually, I did not use it all the time but there were times when I had to shave twice a day and then did. Eventually, I ran out of the oil Sal sold me and I began to use other products including the PSO made by T&H and then I made my own. For the past few years, I have rarely used it except when I am shaving twice a day.

Very interesting. Thanks for the story!

I have read quite a bit about pre-shave oil. What I have found is that those folks who are for or against it give their opinions without any real factual basis. Rather they rely on their experiences or in many cases what they “think” is logical. I have yet to find a scientific study to show whether pre shave oil is necessary, a gimmick, or even how it works. Articles have appeared in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, and the Dermalinstitute and have come up contradictory conclusions.

Some say the theory of pre-shave oil is to give your skin an added layer of protection before applying a shaving soap or cream lather. Also, some say it acts as a lubricant and helps the razor glide over their skin. Also, they find that pre-shave oil moisturizes the skin and protects the skin from razor burn or irritation. Others disagree with all of the above.

Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. As you may find out some on B&B think it is a waste of time and others think it helped them get a better shave. Some say it clogs their razor and ruins brushes and some say it does no such thing. Pre-shave oil is one of those things that brings out a lot of controversy.

When I first started shaving in the 1950s my teenage skin was very sensitive but I had a wiry beard. The result was irritation, particularly on my neck. The barber I went to, Sal, gave many straight shaves to his customers. I noticed he had an elaborate procedure in which he massaged some cream onto the face of the persons being shaved and put a hot towel on the face and neck. Next, he would take the towel, dip it in warm water and take off any of the remaining cream he had applied and wet the customer's face and neck. Next, he took a substance in a bottle and would apply that to the individual's face and neck massaging it in, then apply lather, and shave.

I told Sal my woe of irritation and he gave me a sample bottle of this mysterious substance, which turned out to be a pre-shave oil used by some barbers. He instructed me on how to apply it. He told me to wet my face put a few drops of oil on my hands and in his words work it on my beard. For the first time, I was able to get irritation free shaves. It may have been that my technique was not the best but I am reasonably certain my lathering and shaving skills did not develop overnight. Sal ordered a large bottle of PSO and that lasted for many years. Eventually, I did not use it all the time but there were times when I had to shave twice a day and then did. Eventually, I ran out of the oil Sal sold me and I began to use other products including the PSO made by T&H and then I made my own. For the past few years, I have rarely used it except when I am shaving twice a day.

To keep buying a product you know doesn't make any appreciable difference compared to not using it sounds like the "logic" the manufacturers of the product and their retailers want you to follow.

Well, it’s here! Haters going to hate because they have to, but I’m excited.

168e304f-6e04-402e-8677-4c804a6bbe97-jpeg.972039

I’ll report back after I’ve used them extensively.

Attachments

• 168E304F-6E04-402E-8677-4C804A6BBE97.jpeg
    168E304F-6E04-402E-8677-4C804A6BBE97.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 126
Yes do!
That bottle of Trumper describes a step in the shaving process that I've never considered: 'preparation for after shaving.'
Is this one of those solutions without a problem? :001_unsur

Well, it’s here! Haters going to hate because they have to, but I’m excited.

168e304f-6e04-402e-8677-4c804a6bbe97-jpeg.972039

I’ll report back after I’ve used them extensively.

Yes do!
Is this one of those solutions without a problem? :001_unsur
Too funny! Everything wet shaving is a solution without a problem for a guy who can still shave comfortably with a clamshell! It pays to remember that. It’s a game of subtitles at this point. I’ll report back but at the end of the day, it’s whatever works for you - even if that means you’re kidding yourself lol!

But seriously though, how can conditioning your skin before shaving, after shaving, before golf, after swimming etc., etc. be a problem? Does it enhance the shave is all I/we want to know. I’ll let you know what I think.

Funny, I have never in my life considered any care for my skin. I grew up on a wheat farm. Skin care meant you washed the dirt off at the end of the day. I got into shaving soap solely for the purpose of improving my shave, and am only now starting to consider that different soaps have an affect on the face feel for the rest of the day.

Funny, I have never in my life considered any care for my skin. I grew up on a wheat farm. Skin care meant you washed the dirt off at the end of the day. I got into shaving soap solely for the purpose of improving my shave, and am only now starting to consider that different soaps have an affect on the face feel for the rest of the day.
Oh man! I think it’s men like you and their partners who get the most out of wet shaving!

Like you, I wouldn’t say I cared about anything but a clean shave either, but i was a city kid and it’s not like I hadn’t met men who cared enough about their skin to use “products.” I thought they were all poofs if that matters.

Anyway, it was one of those men who introduced me to wet shaving. But this guy was NO poof! Then after a trip to Manhattan, and a visit to the Art of Shaving store there, and I was hooked. I’m now a straight razor guy who dabbles with different soap/cream combos. And now my shave time is almost precious to me. It’s crazy.

I honestly wish you the best on this journey. Like I said, ten years ago I tried pre shave and thought it was junk. Now i’m a little obsessed. Only two things could have happened:

One - my skin changed
Two - after a decade of wet shaving, I can notice subtleties I couldn’t before

I think it’s a combo of both! I’m not putting the third option on the table which is I’m possibly going nuts (in spite of what @Orangeman says lol). There’s too many of us going nuts at the same time to make that a valid option.

Peace :)

With my last order from Van Yula they sent a sample of their pre shave oil. I had tried cheap pre shave oils from big box stores and was not impressed with them. However when I tried the Van Yula oil I was amazed to find out just how sensitive my skin really is and how much the oil improved my shave. I thought I was getting good shaves before but boy was I wrong. I'm 64 yrs old and shaved with an electric razor until three years ago and I can safely say that until I tried this shave oil I have never had a good shave.
If a poor shave is all you have ever known you think poor is normal.
Is Van Yula the best? I don't know.
Do pre shave oils improve your shave? One really improved the heck out of my shave.
YMMV!!!!!
Read everything you can find here on B&B, try one or two of the most recommended oils or try making your own. Then see for yourself.
Happy Shaving

My only pre-shave oil is "Shave Secret", bought at Walmart, and not intended by the manufacturer as a "pre-shave".

It is supposed to be a stand-alone shave oil. You rub it on a wet face, wait a bit, and shave.

But I use it as a pre-shave prep in the morning when the clock is ticking. Only then. And I put a cream or soap on top of it.

I do not consider a pre-shave as something that prepares my skin. It prepares my stubble. My facial hair. By softening it. In this vein, I guess I should consider hair conditioner, applied in the shower, to be a pre-shave as well.

My only pre-shave oil is "Shave Secret", bought at Walmart, and not intended by the manufacturer as a "pre-shave".

It is supposed to be a stand-alone shave oil. You rub it on a wet face, wait a bit, and shave.

But I use it as a pre-shave prep in the morning when the clock is ticking. Only then. And I put a cream or soap on top of it.

I do not consider a pre-shave as something that prepares my skin. It prepares my stubble. My facial hair. By softening it. In this vein, I guess I should consider hair conditioner, applied in the shower, to be a pre-shave as well.
I tried pre-shave oil years ago...and hated it.
It was messy, greasy, it clogged my razor, it didn't wash off. I had to wash my face with soap after shaving to get rid of the greasy feel. It seemed to impede the shaving process, rather than facilitate it.
Of course, I was younger then and didn't need any moisturising.
I would consider trying pre-shave preps again, but only creams or gels. I'll probably never go back to an oil.

Pre-Shave oils did not work well for me when I tried them last - they interfere with the lather at times and change the physics of the blade glide and just leave everything oily and messy. Pre-shave balms on the other hand - Proraso specifically have done wonders to my shaving routine. I am currently using GD pre-shave for a change and it is pretty darn good as well. Vitos, Baume.be and Prep/3P are next on my list.

Update:

It’s been a while now, and I’ll say this, I honestly think Edwin Jagger reverse engendered Proraso’s pre shave. They are very similar and work very well in a very similar way - by tightening everything up in preparation of the axe lol. I’d give the EJ the edge on being less “greasy,” and the Proraso gets the edge by slightly stiffening the beard more. But again, the difference is slight.

Both are great. Both work. The Proraso is a bit more mentholated and a bit more scented. The EJ is cleaner.

The Baume.be has to be the the biggest surprise though. With respect to consistency and look, it’s like a watered down version of vaseline. But honestly, it doesn’t bog down in your razor. Its very “water soluble.” But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work once you lather on top of it. It’s a mystery as to how it works.

It might be a mystery, but It sure works, and definitely provides more glide. It doesn’t feel like the other two - in that it doesn’t “feel” like it’s stiffening the beard/skin in preparation of the blade. And yet I’ll swear up and down that it makes a difference. Maybe more so than the other two. I think I prefer it over the Proraso or EJ. There’s little to no scent.

As for the Geo F. Trumper Coral Skin Food, nice stuff, and I’ve used it quite a bit, but it does nothing to aid my shave I don’t feel.

Top Bottom