What's new

What’s Your Take on Pre Shave Oil/Cream

Are you a pre shave oil or cream hater, lover or just plain indifferent?

• Lover

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Hater

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
I found that the Proraso preshave really helps their soaps performance, and the the green on green is such a pleasant chill. I don't feel the need to use the preshave with other soaps.

Update:

The Baume.be has to be the the biggest surprise though. With respect to consistency and look, it’s like a watered down version of vaseline. But honestly, it doesn’t bog down in your razor. Its very “water soluble.” But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work once you lather on top of it. It’s a mystery as to how it works.

It might be a mystery, but It sure works, and definitely provides more glide. It doesn’t feel like the other two - in that it doesn’t “feel” like it’s stiffening the beard/skin in preparation of the blade. And yet I’ll swear up and down that it makes a difference. Maybe more so than the other two. I think I prefer it over the Proraso or EJ. There’s little to no scent.

Because that's what it is. Rebranded moisturizer. See my posts on this topic. Summer Brush Sabbatical :: 2019

You know, I tried Cremo as a pre-shave last night and it worked very well. The slickness seemed to last through all three shaves.

My problem with Pre-shave oils is that after the first pass, their added benefit seems to be gone. I am testing my theory which is better, but so far creams are getting the nod.

Update:

It’s been a while now, and I’ll say this, I honestly think Edwin Jagger reverse engendered Proraso’s pre shave. They are very similar and work very well in a very similar way - by tightening everything up in preparation of the axe lol. I’d give the EJ the edge on being less “greasy,” and the Proraso gets the edge by slightly stiffening the beard more. But again, the difference is slight.

Both are great. Both work. The Proraso is a bit more mentholated and a bit more scented. The EJ is cleaner.

The Baume.be has to be the the biggest surprise though. With respect to consistency and look, it’s like a watered down version of vaseline. But honestly, it doesn’t bog down in your razor. Its very “water soluble.” But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work once you lather on top of it. It’s a mystery as to how it works.

It might be a mystery, but It sure works, and definitely provides more glide. It doesn’t feel like the other two - in that it doesn’t “feel” like it’s stiffening the beard/skin in preparation of the blade. And yet I’ll swear up and down that it makes a difference. Maybe more so than the other two. I think I prefer it over the Proraso or EJ. There’s little to no scent.

As for the Geo F. Trumper Coral Skin Food, nice stuff, and I’ve used it quite a bit, but it does nothing to aid my shave I don’t feel.
Thanks for the report. I'll have to try the Baume.be...
As for the Trumper Skin Food line, I'm convinced it's just a moisturiser, or post-shave balm, that the manufacturer simply claims does double duty as a pre-shave prep, as a way of increasing sales. Trumper touts it as a product for sensitive skin "...massaging...[it]...against the growth of the beard lifts and softens the bristles..." They claim that because it glycerine-based, it "...[allows]...the razor to glide with ease." Perhaps you're just not "massaging" it in properly?

Thanks for the report. I'll have to try the Baume.be...
As for the Trumper Skin Food line, I'm convinced it's just a moisturiser, or post-shave balm, that the manufacturer simply claims does double duty as a pre-shave prep, as a way of increasing sales. Trumper touts it as a product for sensitive skin "...massaging...[it]...against the growth of the beard lifts and softens the bristles..." They claim that because it glycerine-based, it "...[allows]...the razor to glide with ease." Perhaps you're just not "massaging" it in properly?
Lol! I’m with you on this. If you do use the Baume.be, please report back.

I've used glycerine soap or Proraso preshave for a while & found improved slickness when I used the soap, & not much improvement using the Proraso preshave. But I stopped using it as part of my daily routine & only used it when I didn't prep first with a hot shower. I stopped using Proraso quite some time ago, and glycerine soap about 6 - 9 months ago because I seldom shave without first showering.

Fast forward, I kept reading about GD Preshave, so I got a tub. This is an excellent product. It shouldn't even be in the same conversation as Proraso preshave or glycerine soap. For me, GD preps my hair & skin, & goes on to hydrate & moisturize my face for a much improved post-shave face-feel.

I've used glycerine soap or Proraso preshave for a while & found improved slickness when I used the soap, & not much improvement using the Proraso preshave. But I stopped using it as part of my daily routine & only used it when I didn't prep first with a hot shower. I stopped using Proraso quite some time ago, and glycerine soap about 6 - 9 months ago because I seldom shave without first showering.

Fast forward, I kept reading about GD Preshave, so I got a tub. This is an excellent product. It shouldn't even be in the same conversation as Proraso preshave or glycerine soap. For me, GD preps my hair & skin, & goes on to hydrate & moisturize my face for a much improved post-shave face-feel.
I wish I could find some for sale some place...

So yesterday I used just the bloom water from my Stirling soap. I really did not notice any difference between that and using pre-shave oil. I know how oil is supposed to work, but it seems after the first pass it is gone. I guess I could apply it before the third pass, but don't see the need to if I have bloom water already and I rinse with soapy water anyway. The only pre-shave treatment that seems to make a significant difference for me was prepping with Cremo. That added quite a bit of slickness that stayed through all three shaves.

Just my two cents.

I have a few different pre treatments from castle Fairies, Village Barber, Proraso, Omega Via Barberia, Osma and Geo F. Trumper.

I don't care about Proraso much.

My daily pre/during/after treatment is Geo F. Trumper Lime Skin Food.
When I use a sharp blade I mix some with my lather and it works wonders.
Otherwise I use it as a pre and post treatment.

I received a sample oil by Osma and it was fantastic for me so I ordered a bottle.

Please note pre treatments work for me it doesn't mean they work for everybody.
My old, tired, skin loves them!

I have a few different pre treatments from castle Fairies, Village Barber, Proraso, Omega Via Barberia, Osma and Geo F. Trumper.

I don't care about Proraso much.

My daily pre/during/after treatment is Geo F. Trumper Lime Skin Food.
When I use a sharp blade I mix some with my lather and it works wonders.
Otherwise I use it as a pre and post treatment.

I received a sample oil by Osma and it was fantastic for me so I ordered a bottle.

Please note pre treatments work for me it doesn't mean they work for everybody.
My old, tired, skin loves them!
Doesn't the Skin Food break down the lather when you mix it in?

Used the Porasso pre-shave this morning. Had a fantastic shave. Problem is, I use so many different razor/blade combinations that I'm experimenting with that it gives me too many variables to know which one actually made a difference on any given day. Today was a SE ATT SE-1 with Proline blade. I'd like to try Cremo, but haven't explored whether or not Canadian pharmacies carry it.

I found that the Proraso preshave really helps their soaps performance, and the the green on green is such a pleasant chill. I don't feel the need to use the preshave with other soaps.

I'm in that boat too - the Proraso creams are so much better with their pre shaves, but I haven't found other oils / preps to make much of a difference.

Top Bottom