What's new

What’s your take on Non Age Statement Scotch?

I think I remember first seeing "meritage" associated with California blends as a step away from what you so rightly pointed out was the tradition there of making single varietal wines. It strikes me that after all of these years, what I do not know about winemaking would fill volumes!

Well said. But amazing that such gateway Scotches are priced so high and promoted as a luxury item.

Well, we have pretty much established that I do not know what I am talking about and probably do not know what I like either, but I sure do like Lagavulin. I suppose I may be thinking more of bourbon and rye, which I tend to drink more in missed drinks than straight anyway, albeit it pretty strong drinks like old-fashioneds and Manhattans. I tend to think of rye and bourbon in the 90s or around 100 proof as about right. Most bottled in bonds seem to me better than the regular bottlings and I tend to think the higher proof is helpful. Peerless seems to be around 102 or so. Much above that seems a lot and hot.

I like overproof/naval strength gins, because they generally seem very flavorful and I like the mouth feel. But I really should not drink them. That extra alcohol can make one more drunk than one thinks.

I've recently taken to drinking Vesper Martinis. Basically 1 part vodka, 3 parts gin, 1/2 part Lillet blond and a lemon twist served up. So, each drink is something like 4 shots of alcohol. When I drink my usual which can be scotch, rum, vodka alone or bourbon, one drink just gets me primed for the next one and the smile doesn't appear on my face until either the second or third drink. But with the Vesper, one will put a smile on my face and two is my limit. More than that and I am embarrassing to be around.

Well, I can't tell you that you are wrong.

I'm half that and half still enjoying the exploration journey. I always revisit the favourites but make sure not to feel like I'm stuck in a rut.

Boom, son!

Oh snap!

... we'll be kind and call it a "gateway scotch" rather than "dumbed down" ...

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for trying a new scotch that I haven't tried before. That's how I was able to try Caol Ila. I liked it more than a little. But then it didn't quite match up to Lagavulin. There are some more I would like to try but I'm not going out of my way. And i really like that "gateway scotch" comment. Snap indeed.

I've recently taken to drinking Vesper Martinis. Basically 1 part vodka, 3 parts gin, 1/2 part Lillet blond and a lemon twist served up. So, each drink is something like 4 shots of alcohol. When I drink my usual which can be scotch, rum, vodka alone or bourbon, one drink just gets me primed for the next one and the smile doesn't appear on my face until either the second or third drink. But with the Vesper, one will put a smile on my face and two is my limit. More than that and I am embarrassing to be around.
Ha, my suspicions about the reason for the Vesper are confirmed!

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So basically a mug of gin with a bit of vodka thrown in, and then some lemon & such for flavour.

What’s my take on NAS scotch?

I drink what’s in the bottle and leave armchair sanctimony to those who read labels....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What’s my take on NAS scotch?

I drink what’s in the bottle and leave armchair sanctimony to those who read labels....
I can certainly understand that attitude.

Like with me, when I get a new prescription drug or need an OTC medicine I just take it blindly or grab whatever I come across first on the shelf. Because labels...pssh. Amiright?

I can certainly understand that attitude.

Like with me, when I get a new prescription drug or need an OTC medicine I just take it blindly or grab whatever I come across first on the shelf. Because labels...pssh. Amiright?

Really? From a mod no less? With respect, I’d expect a little more from a mod than a strawman argument. But hey, it’s 2020 and I’m just an ol’ timer not wise to the ways of the young.

Beggin’ yer pardon, sirs.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Really? From a mod no less? With respect, I’d expect a little more from a mod than a strawman argument. But hey, it’s 2020 and I’m just an ol’ timer not wise to the ways of the young.

Beggin’ yer pardon, sirs.
Yes from a mod, and a good one at that. So maybe he's got a valid point about your earlier post you might want to reflect on? Is "armchair sanctimony" really how you want to dismiss most or all of the other ol' timers who have posted thoughtfully in this thread?

Ah, but we don't question perfection. We accept it. We embrace it. There is no "reason" for it. It just is. You have to have one to understand. And then you will know.

That is hilarious! I love it. I do think of Vespers as a lot of a drink. I made Tom Collins this weekend with naval strength gin. The alcohol level adds a dimension.

For that matter, Tom Collins is an underrated drink. Sugar, fresh lemon, good gin, soda water--preferably a nice mineral water. Maybe a dash of orange bitters. Fine ingredients in a simple format, what is not to like. Gin Rickey is similar--sort of a gin ranch water--and I admit I like it with a bit of simple syrup, although that might be traditional.

That is hilarious! I love it. I do think of Vespers as a lot of a drink. I made Tom Collins this weekend with naval strength gin. The alcohol level adds a dimension.

For that matter, Tom Collins is an underrated drink. Sugar, fresh lemon, good gin, soda water--preferably a nice mineral water. Maybe a dash of orange bitters. Fine ingredients in a simple format, what is not to like. Gin Rickey is similar--sort of a gin ranch water--and I admit I like it with a bit of simple syrup, although that might be traditional.

I'm still fiddling with the quantities so I can have more of those Vesper Martinis this summer. I think ultimately, it's no more or less than any other straight up martini since they all involve mostly either gin or vodka. Frankly, I'd feel the same way about a plain vodka martini as it would get me hammered just as quickly. The only difference however is the Vesper tastes so much better. And that's a big difference. I too like simplicity. Although I'm cutting down on my sugar intake so added sugar or simple syrup to an acoholic beverage is not something I'm doing these days.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Lets be honest, almost all classic martinis are effectively mug-sized gin/vodka shots for adults ;)
1592846870518.png

Oh, and the big ones are out of stock.

Reactions: Avi
I have been using these for my Vesper Martinis. They just feel good in my hand. I stick them in the freezer for a bit beforehand and take them out just before I'm ready to pour from the shaker. This way the ice that forms on the glass can be seen floating on the surface of the liquid. Properly chilled, there is nothing like it. :euro:

image.png

View attachment 1116450

Oh, and the big ones are out of stock.
They say that back in the day a Martini was a rather small-sized drink. See The Thin Man movies as one sort.

Seems like a lot of effort to make a bunch of small ones to me. I would say one should not leave the ingredients sitting in the mixing pitcher, for fear of excess dilution! I do like them to be of a size that stays cold until I finish.

almost all classic martinis are effectively mug-sized gin/vodka shots for adults

Yep. Arguably other classic cocktails are mugs of liquor, but a martini, with the emphasis on "dryness" especially so! I wonder what the proof of gin originally used was.

Although I'm cutting down on my sugar intake so added sugar or simple syrup to an acoholic beverage is not something I'm doing these days.

Vesper is a good drink for you then! I just find a gin rickey without any sweeter to be a tad tart. I am not suggesting one go as far as making it a lime-based Tom Collins, though. I suppose I do not add sugar to a Ranchwater.

Anyone else notice a huge difference among limes these days in their level of tartness? The smaller ones in particular seem to often be quite tart, and not in a a good way!

Great photo, Doc4. I meant "source," of course.

I wonder what the etiquette was for drinking that size of martini back in the day. I assume it was gauche to throw one back like a shot.

"I’m not talking a cup of cheap gin splashed over an ice cube. I’m talking satin, fire and ice; Fred Astaire in a glass; surgical cleanliness, insight. comfort; redemption and absolution. I’m talking MARTINI!"

“Martinis are the only American invention as perfect as a sonnet.” H. L. Mencken

Last edited:
Top Bottom