What's new

What's Your Sun Hat?

B43F15D1-DA22-449F-81E1-1276F77D16A3.png

Don't overlook military boonie hats, either.

Camo isn't your thing? They come in solid colors. My coyote brown one is nicely sun-faded.

Usually my choice when traveling, or when it can be lost overboard or stolen. $12, good enough for Uncle Sam. Soak it in 3M water repellent and bug spray without fear of wrecking a $70 Tilley.

AA
And made in USA quality if you check the ads close on the bay. This is my summer work/fishing hat. There’s always one or two rolling around my pickup....

I also have a couple linen Sterkowski flat caps for dress or knocking around town.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I had a Tilley T3 for years till I left it on a streetcar in Toronto about 12 years ago. It never turned up. 7, maybe 8 years ago I saw a Tilley T3 in a camouflage pattern on clearance for $25 so I bought it. A perfectly fine hat but camo is not nearly as versatile as the traditional Tilley khaki in terms of when & where it ought to be worn.

Y’all have a lot more class than me. When I’m doing garden and yard work, I wear an extremely well worn baseball cap I picked up at a Buckey’s gas station in Texas, I’d anyone is familiar.
C29E6695-F5A0-45A0-B31C-E85AB54735D0.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use a broad-brimmed Tilley "Airflow" for most sporting or casual occasions.

View attachment 1172652

For dressier times, I have a Bailey "litestraw" fedora ...

View attachment 1172653
Lol, I've lost count of my Tilley hats. My winter one with the ear and forehead flaps is my most worn.

A sure sign Michigan doesn't have enough sunshine!

Just the other day I "reorganized" my hats.
It seems my lovely bride doesn't consider my taking them off my head and throwing them on the upper shelf of the closet a proper way to "organize" my collection!

In colder weather, I wear an Indiana Jones felt hat either by Stetson or Dorfman Pacific. In the summer, it's usually a straw western hat. I used to wear baseball hats when I was younger, but I guess I got turned off them by the number of people who decided to wear them backwards. I guess they were concerned about sunburn on their necks! LOL

Legion

Staff member
584FC25D-4512-4178-BD45-7EB46E4A57AE.jpeg

Recently moved to the country, and I don't know if is the higher altitude, but the UV level definitely feels higher.

Time to break out my old Akubra I used to wear when I worked in the outback.

I don't know if it has shrunk, or my noggins gotten bigger, but it feels kind of tight. We would wear it a little tight back then, because we were tearing around on quad bikes and horses, but I currently have a hat stretcher in there trying to get an extra 1/2 size.

Last edited:
Beware of the sun on your ears. I had a friend that lost his whole ear to cancer. The just kept chopping off a bit at a time until all he had left was the ear canal. My dermatologist warned me to cover ears, nose and back of the neck. I do, and she still freezes patches off of my bald head every visit. She says it’s the sins of the past when I was juch younger.

Heed the warning while you still can. You are young, and have lots of hair, but that Texas sun can be brutal.

Beware of the sun on your ears. I had a friend that lost his whole ear to cancer. The just kept chopping off a bit at a time until all he had left was the ear canal. My dermatologist warned me to cover ears, nose and back of the neck. I do, and she still freezes patches off of my bald head every visit. She says it’s the sins of the past when I was juch younger.

Heed the warning while you still can. You are young, and have lots of hair, but that Texas sun can be brutal.
I wish I was getting exposed to the Texas sun! I live in Iowa. Wisdom and warning noted.

Top Bottom