What's new

What's Your Sun Hat?

Tri color boonie hat here. Messy days at work, so if it gets messed up no worries. Picked up a Swiss tech boonie at Walmart last week. Made well it seems and super comfortable it was under 13$ , so we will see. I have others but wool flat caps and leather hats get messed up with concrete real easy.

Tilley LTM9... twelve years old, now discontinued, look at all the mesh! I wear this in the morning summer sun, pounding miles for fast exercise, and when I need a sun hat for traveling. This incredibly protecting hat has seen many, many miles and days in the intense sunshine of the deserts, plains, all over. An occasional wash in the machine, hang dry, this hat truly performs!

View attachment 1126872

Here it is, the Tilley T3, my first of two Tilley models worn all these years. The T3 is my outdoor hat while on the high peaks, backpacking and on the rivers and water while sailing. This one particular hat is an eight year old replacement for the original one that I beat to heck for many years while on the peaks. Tilley replaced the worn one.. complimentary... thank you Tilley.

View attachment 1126873

Stetson Carson Straw... my hat that I wear all about town during the summer months. Love this hat, fits very well, breathes OK due to the air holes. This one is about fifteen years old and still looks great.

View attachment 1126881

If you're in the intense sunshine where you live, wear a good, protecting hat to protect your head, face and skin from the UV's. Wear what you like and enjoy.
Afaik Tilley Still makes a airflow with the complete top as ventilation. Not sure about the brim width and top height though. I now my standard airflows could be more ventilated in my opinion.

Fwiw, a guy on FB sells custom hats. Goes by Slangvel. Been wanting one for awhile. He has been around for awhile with a good reputation. Think he is a vet as well.

Can't be a captain unless you have a Tilley T5. Got it years ago and don't wear it that much but a perfect hat for when it is needed. Used to wear it all the time when sailing but that was some time ago.

The pin is from the Columbia Yacht Club which used to be a customer of mine for my first business I had. It floats off the shore of Chicago and was actually built as an ice breaker that did work up in Canada before it was retired and became the yacht club. Way off topic but fun fact. Picture is below. Members are welcoming and friendly. I used to make a delivery and then they let you have the run of the ship. Very cool nautical library and could stand right on the bridge where the captain of the ship would stand. The CYC has been in existence since 1892 and has always existed on a ship of one kind or another.

IMG_3437.jpeg

columbia-yacht-club-eric-allix-rogers-02.jpg

I have a collection of authentic Panama's.
I am going to purchase a few more straws in Milan, Parabuntal, Sisal and Raffia. To get the ball rolling I picked up a Stetson Toyo.

20200711_185457.jpg

20200711_185619.jpg

Afaik Tilley Still makes a airflow with the complete top as ventilation. Not sure about the brim width and top height though. I now my standard airflows could be more ventilated in my opinion.

They make the wider brim version with the full mesh, I believe. Mine was based on the T5 narrower/medium brim.

I've been looking for the airflow T5 in 7 3/8 but I'm finding that Tilley has been sold twice in the last five years and many of their hats are now made in China... not in Canada. This does not go well with me.

For outdoor adventures - kayaking, hiking - I wear the REI paddling hat. Folds up and packs down in a suitcase or carry on easily, can get wet, and provides a lot of coverage.
For around town I have a straw fedora-style hat. I need to wear it more.

What style and brand of sun hat do you wear? I've been wearing a Dorfman Pacific broad-brimmed Tilley hat.
Ive got a couple bucket hats that I wear for golf. One is a Nicklaus US Open hat and another is an Arnold Palmer Invitatonal bucket hat made by Ahead.
I like them both for golf and for yard work. I like them for golf because the brim isn't so big that it bothers me when I swing a club. Ive tried some Aussie hats and the brim was so big that sometimes my hands would hit them on my follow through. I even found a Titleist Aussie hat that I really loved but it was just too big.
Ive looked at some of those straw cowboy hats you see but theyre just not me. Those only work if your Greg Norman.

I have been using an Outdoor Research Sombriolet Sun Bucket hat for a few years. The brim is wide enough to give good protection, it's cool, dries quickly and packs up very small to fit into a pocket.
I still have a well faded Tilley T5, but don't wear it often due to its lack of packability.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I alternate between tan and olive Pendleton "safari" hats with mesh crowns when I go hiking. Both still looking good after several sweaty seasons.

I’ve got three.

The first is my Indiana Jones hat, a Stetson.
The second is a similar hat in black called the gambler, also a Stetson.
The third is my straw hat that I use for yard work.
I never wore a hat until the dermatologist started freezing actinic keratosis from my head. She said get a hat with a wide brim or I’ll be taking your ears off in a few years. I got the hat
CF5E5A3A-64EC-413F-815D-FE5E1F767D8B.jpeg
A95A7B5F-990F-41CB-9E91-36DB38D9AFF6.jpeg

Good old LTM6 for the sunny time outdoor work, with a different LTM6 for out and about on the town (well, I used to have a separate one.. till the wife put it through the dryer and now it's so mishapen it just looks wrong). I also have a few other hats for late Spring to early Autumn out and about, plus a Hills Hats oilskin outback hat for when it's raining.

Now I am surfing the Tilley site, looking to replace my one LTM6 that is beyond saving, shape wise. Since it isn't going to be an in the sun working hat, I am looking at other styles, rather than have 2 LTM6's.

Top Bottom