What's new

What's Your Remedy for Simpson Labels?

Maybe some of you "Brush Pros" can provide some definitive answers when it comes to the best way to keep Simpson brush labels in place. Or, maybe your one of those people who doesn't give a rip if your brush loses it label after a shave or two. I realize this has long been, quite possibly, one of the loudest complaints when it comes to Simpson Brushes.

Now, I have already read somewhere in a post here that one could apply clear fingernail polish to the label and it would cause it to adhere longer. Just having received my PJ2 Best last week [my first Simpson], that's exactly what I did before I used it the first time. What I learned: Don't Brush It On! :angry: Mine actually turned out pretty nice, but as ususal with me [OCD kicking in], I thought one little spot needed a bit more 'touchup', so I brushed a little in that area and the letters began to distort. Apparently the nail polish shoud be 'dobbed' or 'dabbed' on without using a 'brushing' movement. In other words, "Don't brush your brush!" :eek:

Maybe others have better suggestions with alternative coatings and/or methods. I know all of us would appreciate your input.

My understanding is it is ok to brush on. IF you do it in one pass. (I would think that if touchup is needed, it would be fine to do that after the first coat is dry). Personally, I don't care rip about the label or lettering. Which is good, because I bought both my Simpson brushes used, and they were not treated...

S

Sam

Ron, I do as Moses has suggested. Brush the first application on and let it dry. Then you can brush over that as many times as you want

Sam

I brushed it on my chubby 1 and the letters became distorted as well. I think you need to be fairly liberal with the amount you are going to put on if you are planning to brush it on. Anyways it bugged me a lot at first but not so much anymore. I don't plan on selling it.

Chris

My ~10y old PJ2 label turned from gold to green ages ago but has not shown any signs of falling off. It looks pretty good.

Well, maybe you can mask the decal, and take the brush to your nearest car painter, and have him spray a coat or two of polyurethane or whatever car lacquer is in his gun. Or you can do it yourself with a lacquer from the can...

Nenad

One swipe only with clear nail polish seals half of the decal.
Let that dry and apply one swipe only over the rest of the deal.

No fuss,no muss but remember........ONE SWIPE ONLY

To be totally honest, I had a hard time deciding..."Decal or No Decal?" :confused: I actually allowed my brush to sit idle for a few days until I could get some clear nail polish; sad isn't it? I was trying to decide if the wait was worth it. Apparently it was. And to tell you the truth, when my next Simpson arrives [no definite model or target date as of yet] I am most likely going to 'clear-coat' it as well. It's just a highly personal thing...to one shaver it matters...to the next it doesn't. So...as they say at Burger King...have it your way! :wink2: YMMV. One man's Decal is another man's Trash!

What I really need is more practice 'clear-coating'! :ohmy: And that would certainly mean more Simpsons! :biggrin: Yee Haw!

PottyDoctor said:
To be totally honest, I had a hard time deciding..."Decal or No Decal?" :confused: I actually allowed my brush to sit idle for a few days until I could get some clear nail polish; sad isn't it? I was trying to decide if the wait was worth it. Apparently it was. And to tell you the truth, when my next Simpson arrives [no definite model or target date as of yet] I am most likely going to 'clear-coat' it as well. It's just a highly personal thing...to one shaver it matters...to the next it doesn't. So...as they say at Burger King...have it your way! :wink2: YMMV. One man's Decal is another man's Trash!

What I really need is more practice 'clear-coating'! :ohmy: And that would certainly mean more Simpsons! :biggrin: Yee Haw!

Mine was kept in the box for a month or more...kept forgetting to buy the nail polish!

Randy

Ron,

The Simpson decal issue is of importance to me, as well. It's a safe bet you'd prefer to keep your PJ2 looking as good as the day it arrived, as would many, including myself.

Looks like the 'trick' is in the application of the nail polish (or whatever coating one elects to use), as the ink utilized in Simpson's decals reportedly dissolves just a little too easily -- from using too much 'solvent' (nail polish) and/or excessive 'friction' (one too many brush strokes :ohmy: ).

Has anyone tried carefully masking off their decal, then air-brushing the thing? In other words, apply masking tape around - but not touching - the perimeter of the decal, proper; enabling one to seal the face of the decal and its margins...followed by a VERY light coat of, say, polyurethane (or other type of waterproof, fast-drying, abrasion-resistant paint). Multiple coats could be applied, allowing sufficient time between each coat for thorough CURING (not just mere drying) to occur, for that added 'safety' factor.

Then again . . . should I happen to ruin the decal after all that darned effort -- I'd be mighty tempted to 'terminate' the poor Simpson, using either a BENCH GRINDER or by DRIVING OVER the shaving brush, repeatedly, with one of the rear wheels of my car!!! :biggrin1:

Cheers! :thumbup:

-Clive

Guess who didn't take the time to carefully read all the posts (superfly's for instance...:eek: )?

Sorry to essentially duplicate your fine reply, superfly.

Regards,

-Clive (A Newbie and Stupid!)

There's a simple solution to this problem, besides using nail polish: buy two brushes of the same model, one for usage, the second for display:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Peter

Peter,

I literally burst into laughter upon reading that clever response of yours!!! :thumbup:

The truly funny thing is, however, is that you're 100% correct! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Cheers!

-Clive

Top Bottom