What's new

What's your relaxing and (still) efficient DE razor?

Fascinating thread... And perhaps surprising to see so many aggressive picks.

I guess it could be the different ways that we each interpret the question, or the ways that we use language?

Where some people see relaxing and think risk-free shaves, typically milder razors that are hard to nick yourself with...
Others seem to find it relaxing to pick up a much more aggressive implement that forces them to get in the zone with the shave, with the lighter touch more necessary to avoid punishment.

I can certainly see both of these... And to be honest, whilst my mind would go first to the former, there is still an appeal to the latter that takes hold when I have more time.

Perhaps context plays a role, too, in that a daily shaver doesn't need the aggressive implement to get the job done and perhaps values a lesser degree of irritation more (this is where I am these days) - whereas a weekly or twice-weekly shaver is going to want the extra efficiency more and needn't worry as much about accumulated aggravation?

Personally?
As a typically daily shaver these days, I value a comfortable face feel afterwards and although I'll often get a DFS and even occasional BBS, I'm satisfied with CCS+ most of the time - in this sense, I'm more interested in milder razors, and the Mamba 70 does it for me most days.
I've had my share of others (and sold most of them) but this is what I routinely reach for most for a drama-free daily shaver - I've got a couple more aggressive in the den, but don't use them often.

A very interesting thread. I am surprised I haven't noticed it until now. I can clearly see 40-50% of the answers in the thread are some kind of Gillette Tech. With my whiskers I couldn't consider even the pre-war Tech very efficient. I know it is the most aggressive of them (if it is a term you can apply to a Tech).
So my answer is any of the Pearl open combs. Some users here consider it an aggressive razor, but for me it is perfect.

I've been through quite a few razors, mostly modern designs, some very expensive. For whatever reason the GC .68OC just works well for my face and beard type.

That being said, I'm going through some of the Timeless options as we speak and the Ti .95 OC is another I've been enjoying over the past couple of weeks. I have the .68 OC baseplate coming in both Ti and SS to try out, will report back after some use.

Probably my Gillette DR. I prefer aggressive razors and I established my form and technique on my r41, so I can shave pretty easily with that but there’s still care to be taken for sure. Only shaved a couple times with my double ring and both times went really well, it’s smooth and very efficient at cutting whiskers. Perhaps my form is not too bad for only having switched to DE shaving a couple months ago

Maggard V3A on on a MR7 handle. Very smooth shaver with almost any blade especially Astra SP, Dorco Prime, Rapira Lux and Personna Platinum. The knurling on the MR7 handle is excellent without any fear it will slip from your hand.

I cannot get the blade to line up in mine. Making me nuts.

If it looks like this...

head-top.png

...then everything is OK. PAA have assured me this is normal.

I think some folks thought I was being ironic but seriously this is the way it's meant to be according to PAA. Something is happening with the geometry of the slant head which makes it look as if the blade isn't lined up but I've had no problems at all shaving with this razor. I like it. And every razor comes with a free ghost.

I think some folks thought I was being ironic but seriously this is the way it's meant to be according to PAA. Something is happening with the geometry of the slant head which makes it look as if the blade isn't lined up but I've had no problems at all shaving with this razor. I like it. And every razor comes with a free ghost.
That’s what gives it the slant effect

Top Bottom