What's new

What's your relaxing and (still) efficient DE razor?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Where do I start.....? ;)

Each of the razors listed below is, in my opinion, a "relaxing and (still) efficient DE razor".

Gillette Hybrid Tech (as @Hannah's Dad posted: "like buttah") followed by the English Flat Bottom, German #34, Canadian Pre-war and Post-war Fat Handle, English #24 - pretty much any 1930s through 1950s Tech.

Personna "Flat Bottom"
FaTip MK2
Timeless 0.68 SB
Karve B-SB & C-SB
CG Level 2
RR GC .68
RR SLOC (almost forgot)

And probably more that are slipping my mind. ;)

If allowed, I would add the SE GEM Featherweight Deluxe. Not a DE, but extremely smooth, relaxing and still efficient. :)

Last edited:
My FaTip Piccolo MK2 is absolutely smooth and amazing. Not sure how they did it for only $20, but it's efficient without destroying my sensitive skin. The Focus R48 also does a good job for when I am half awake and can't focus (no pun intended), and although it isn't as efficient as the FaTip, it provides a really smooth shave without irritation and I always enjoy using it.

For me it's the Merkur 37c slant with Astra SPs. I get a BBS with two passes and a touchup, in about 12 minutes from grabbing today's brush to recapping the AS bottle. It's not finicky about blade angle so I can work around the jawline and on the neck easily

1955 Gillette Diplomat. Smooth and I can whip that thing around my face without worry of a nick or cut. Sadly I don't get around to it much as I have a large rotation of razors.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Oristo Black w/DLC. Exceedingly mild, yet oddly efficient. Not sure if I cut myself if I tried (which I am NOT about to). I'm told it is from the machine shop that did the first run of Mambas. The damn thing has utterly spoiled me.

Pretty much the type of shave I want from all my razors, now.

Wolfman WR2 dual gap 1.15/1.05 SB
Charcoal Goods level 2 SB stainless
Karve C SB stainless

I'm loving my Feather AS-D2 with a Feather blade. It's taken me a while to get it dialed in, but tonight I got a BBS shave with no irritation. The razor is very mild, and with the Feather blade it balances out to be a very efficient, pleasurable instrument.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I love my French new improved standard. Paired with an Russian Gillette Nacet.
D22EDE55-75D0-42BA-B81A-0E7099DE675B.jpeg

For 20+ straight months: Rockwell 6S R4
Now: H&SCo. N075

I shave 6 days/week, rarely go more than 36 hours between shaves. If I only shaved twice a week like many I know, my attitude towards what I consider "smooth" would likely change.

Hi sir.
I'm very interested in N075,but I don't know whether it's mild or not. I was wondering what plate do you think the N075 would be like on the Rockwell 6s? plate 3 4 or 5? :)

Currently two razors hit the spot for me:
- Rockwell 6S with Nacet. Usually plate 6; occasionally back off to 5 but not often
- Karve CB Brass, Nacet. Usually OC B, but have been finding SB E comfortable lately, and very efficient.

Hi sir.
I'm very interested in N075,but I don't know whether it's mild or not. I was wondering what plate do you think the N075 would be like on the Rockwell 6s? plate 3 4 or 5? :)
I'd say the **stainless steel** N075 is like 6S plate 4 ****but with more blade feel****. Now, if we're talking the aluminum N075 base plate, that is like 6S plate 4 with every bit as smooth, yet somehow even more efficient than the 6S. FWIW, I sold my SS N075 baseplate (kept the cap) and bought the aluminum base plate. This is the only DE razor I now own. I love this setup (with SS handle by Stork):

proxy.php
proxy.php

I found the 6S to be as smooth as smooth can be (I used plate 4 90% of the time; plate 6 on those rare occasions I was > 48 hours since previous shave)

Top Bottom