What's new

What's Your Pick for .22LR Accuracy Ammo?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If you are into any .22 rimfire accuracy shooting, what is your (and your gun's) preferred .22 fodder? I find subsonic/standard velocity rounds the most accurate in general. My 10/22 with a KIDD barrel seems to like CCI standard velocity, CCI subsonic, WW subsonic HP (not currently available, that I know of) and a few others. It doesn't like Federal AutoMatch very much. All the bulk pack bullets that I have had experience with have had mediocre accuracy, as would be expected. I've shot some Wolf target ammo, but not enough to form a firm opinion on and some RWS Subsonic HPs, the jury is still out. I splurged for a couple of bricks of SK (made by Lapua) but they have yet to arrive. So what's your fave and what do you shoot it in?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Really really individual gun dependent. In general short and lower power seem to be more accurate than long or higher power. BUT only within the range that's appropriate.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Really really individual gun dependent. In general short and lower power seem to be more accurate than long or higher power. BUT only within the range that's appropriate.
Agreed, so what do you and your guns like? Do you engage in anything other than plinking that stresses accuracy. Nothing wrong with just plinking, we all love to do that!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Agreed, so what do you and your guns like? Do you engage in anything other than plinking that stresses accuracy. Nothing wrong with just plinking, we all love to do that!
Not any more and even when I did more I still thought of it as just plinking. When I lived in Arizona it was desert plinking, in Maryland it was damn ground hog plinking, in Georgia it was soda cans and bottles at the berm plinking.

CCI Green Tag. My S&W M41, and the Ruger MKII "slab side" I had before it, loooooved that ammunition.

I shoot .22 benchrest. I primarily use Remington 40x rifles, both factory barrelled and rifles with custom barrels and tuners. Triggers are 2 ounce Jewells turned down to an ounce . Scopes are 36x.

Any benchrest quality ammo will be subsonic. It wont come in a bulk box, either. $10 is about the starting point per box. $15 is probably about average.

Eley Match is about a solid of a performer as you can get in most rifles provided you find a lot number your rifle likes. Lapua Center X is another solid performer. In both Eley and Lapua, I havent seen much better results going up the price tier a notch or two.

Cheaper ammo like SK or Wolf often give some good groups, but don't be surprised to find a flier or two every now and then. Those fliers arent something you want in the middle of 25 shot match card.

Last edited:
My CZ 452 American(16" barreled version) like CCI Green Tags, but I find most CCI ammo to be typically better than the majority of everything else that is available.

I spent some money once on a box of Eley subsonic match ammo and it did not impress in that gun, I wasn't disappointed because that stuff is pricey. I mostly just shoot Federal bulk pack for plinking and grouse hunting because it's cheap, readily available, and decently accurate in this rifle.

I'll have to test a bunch in the Little Badger when it arrives next week and see what it prefers.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My Remington 541T really liked Remington Thunderbolt ammo when I was target shooting with it, benched with a 20x Leupold. It would put 20 rounds in a dime at 25 yards with boring regularity.

My 10/22 isnt fussy but I like shooting Remington Yellow Jackets and CCI Stingers. It shoots just as well with the old wax coated Aguila .22 ammo my father refused to use coon hunting 40 years ago though.

I shoot .22 benchrest. I primarily use Remington 40x rifles, both factory barrelled and rifles with custom barrels and tuners. Triggers are 2 ounce Jewells turned down to an ounce . Scopes are 36x.

Any benchrest quality ammo will be subsonic. It wont come in a bulk box, either. $10 is about the starting point per box. $15 is probably about average.

Eley Match is about a solid of a performer as you can get in most rifles provided you find a lot number your rifle likes. Lapua Center X is another solid performer. In both Eley and Lapua, I havent seen much better results going up the price tier a notch or two.

Cheaper ammo like SK or Wolf often give some good groups, but don't be surprised to find a flier or two every now and then. Those fliers arent something you want in the middle of 25 shot match card.
I used to shoot ISU and echo the vote for Eley Match with RWS March a close second.

I have never shot any RWS Match. I have shot a lot of Federal Ultra Match that was said to be RWS R50 according to a code on the box end flap. The Ultra Match shot as well as Eley or Lapua higher end ammo. Doesnt matter much now. Federal has discontinued it.

My Remington 541T really liked Remington Thunderbolt ammo when I was target shooting with it, benched with a 20x Leupold. It would put 20 rounds in a dime at 25 yards with boring regularity.

My 10/22 isnt fussy but I like shooting Remington Yellow Jackets and CCI Stingers. It shoots just as well with the old wax coated Aguila .22 ammo my father refused to use coon hunting 40 years ago though.
Didn't you find Thunderbolt really, really dirty? I can shoot CCIs and it looks like the gun was never fired!

My best groups always came from RWS match. Ironically enough thunderbolts, despite their dirty nature gave very acceptable groups from the same gun but when shot out of the marlin every third round seemed like a flyer

All of this talk made me go look in my benchrest ammo bag to see how many offerings I have on hand.

20201110_231152.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well my order of two bricks of SK fell through, so I ordered a brick of Lapua Center X and a half brick of MIDAS +. Hopefully that order will be completed!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I was shooting some CCI standard velocity yesterday at a 50 ft. small bore target shot at 50 yds. actual distance. These targets have 10 scoring bullseyes that you shoot one shot on each bull. I find that really highlights flyers as opposed to shooting groups on a single bullseye. While a one ragged hole group may give you the warm fuzzies, it doesn't give you the same feed back as single shots on each bullseye. I don't know if it was me or the ammunition or the fact that I was shooting with a suppressor, but I wasn't getting the consistency that I wanted. Although I was shooting at a public outdoor range and didn't really need to use a suppressor, I did because I use it when shooting on my improvised home range and wanted to be consistent. I obviously need to do some comparisons with and without the suppressor.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Didn't you find Thunderbolt really, really dirty? I can shoot CCIs and it looks like the gun was never fired!

I didnt even know they were dirty shooting them in the 541T but I sure found out when I used them in my Ruger Mark II Target and 10/22.

They didnt make my 10/22 jam but they did the Mark II Target. That was after a lot of shooting though. It had to be cleaned once during my clubs Open House the first day but that was after a brick of ammo had gone through it.

I dont know what a brick of them might cost now but they were cheap when I was shooting a lot. We had some very serious rimfire shooters at my club, Olympic level shooters in the Junior Rifle Program, and I think every serious rimfire target shooter at my club shot an Anschutz and Eley Match.

Top Bottom