What's new

What’s your optimal shaving angle for a Schick L-Type?

I recently started shaving with the below pictured Schick, my first experience with injector-style razors. What, in your experience, is the best angle for these?

2C83C8F3-B16B-4AC1-99B1-B4E7B0795458.jpeg

Seems like riding the safety bar (with the blade just making contact with the face) is more comfortable and intuitive, but isn’t very efficient, especially under the chin. But then, riding the “cap” (blade closer to parallel with the skin and handle more perpendicular) seems more irritating on the skin and less comfortable.
Any advice?

Your razor is a Schick Injector Type L, which is a very mild injector razor.

Keeping the cap flat against the face is recommended and is the classic way of using an injector and most SE razors. And use light pressure. Many injector razors are light weight. It is easy of over-compensate for the lightness and apply too much pressure.

Proper prep, light pressure, and the correct angle will fix 90% of shaving problems.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm going to echo SMS (@santamariasteve ) -- I would "ride the cap" (i.e., keeping the cap flat against the face...or tilted just a touch down) and use VERY light pressure (I'm not sure I'm using any pressure). I would also add that for my sensitive areas (neck, especially lower throat), I pay attention to the grain and go almost exclusively with the grain or cross the grain, but against the grain with an injector is a sure way for me to get irritation. Some folks will use a Japanese Twin Injector blade with the L to increase it's effiency....but I would refine your technique before exploring a different blade.

Thanks, gentlemen.
I’ll try riding the cap for the next few days and see how better technique improves the shaves. During my first shave with this razor, I zipped around the face thinking “This is too easy!” and was rewarded with a close shave and couple hours of burning sensation... Clearly years of DE shaving made me over-confident. Now I’m trying to show the razor the respect it deserves.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The injector is designed to be pretty much flat on the face. The older models can cut you quite easily that way. You should not have much trouble with the L. It is a good one to practice no pressure on the face and then you can switch to a more aggressive one.

I do not ride the cap. I tilt the Injector about 10° and a bit steeper for under the nose. But, then again, my first razor was a Type M. I concur with the others who said start shallow and increase the angle until you find the optimum one for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The injector is designed to be pretty much flat on the face. The older models can cut you quite easily that way. You should not have much trouble with the L. It is a good one to practice no pressure on the face and then you can switch to a more aggressive one.

When you say flat on the face, you’re referring to the cap laying flat on the face? So the handle farther away with a shallow blade angle?
This is how I shaved today, cap close to flat against the face, no pressure, and took it slow. Much better results.
But the way the razor is built just feels like it’s meant to be whipped around the face quickly, dragged along by the handle like a rake.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
When you say flat on the face, you’re referring to the cap laying flat on the face? So the handle farther away with a shallow blade angle?
This is how I shaved today, cap close to flat against the face, no pressure, and took it slow. Much better results.
But the way the razor is built just feels like it’s meant to be whipped around the face quickly, dragged along by the handle like a rake.

You are correct with cap flat on the face. Once you get comfortable you can still whip it around like a rake. I did a two pass shave with one of mine this morning in about 3 minutes.

Ok so I’ve been shaving almost exclusively with this razor for the last two weeks and I’m getting it figured out. I took the advice from you gentlemen to ride the cap and that has improved the efficiency and reduced irritation. I’m definitely not zipping around the face with any kind of speed, and I usually need some touch ups, but getting some good shaves.
I’m not crazy about this razor though. It may be because of the plastic handle and the light weight, but the design just seems so uninspired. I want to like the injector, but I just find myself wanting to reach for one of my DEs every shave.

Ok so I’ve been shaving almost exclusively with this razor for the last two weeks and I’m getting it figured out. I took the advice from you gentlemen to ride the cap and that has improved the efficiency and reduced irritation. I’m definitely not zipping around the face with any kind of speed, and I usually need some touch ups, but getting some good shaves.
I’m not crazy about this razor though. It may be because of the plastic handle and the light weight, but the design just seems so uninspired. I want to like the injector, but I just find myself wanting to reach for one of my DEs every shave.
I know where you are coming from. I have used my L’s and find them lacking using both single or twin blades, however, I have a M2 Adjustable that I prefer over the L’s especially with a Schick Twin Blade. Seems smoother and to me I can whip around with it and get a BBS shave with little effort.

Now to take it one step further, I have a Black Razorock Hawk V2 that uses the Artist Club blades and I can get a great almost BBS shave with the Schick Proline 30 blades and changing the stock handle out to a SS Maggards handle. The Hawk is good but needs more weight for my taste so the SS handle helps.

I too keep going back to my DE razors and I don’t think that is a bad thing. Variety seems to be why most of us are Wet Shaving.

My shave this morning was with my Father’s Eversharp Schick J-1. Since I learned to shave with an injector, I am able to get a BBS in about three minutes. It almost feels like cheating.

My shave this morning was with my Father’s Eversharp Schick J-1. Since I learned to shave with an injector, I am able to get a BBS in about three minutes. It almost feels like cheating.

I’ll need a lot more practice with this one before I’m achieving 3min shaves...

I often say that Schick figured out the angle for you but that’s not entirely true. I shave with the faceplate almost parallel to the face. Angle the handle slightly toward the face and you’ll find a little more bite.
The L’s stainless faceplate doesn’t glide as well as the brass of the J’s or earlier Schicks and, accordingly, it doesn’t shave as well

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I know what you mean about the "uninspired" look and feel of the "L". I have a fair number of Schicks (A, B, C, E, G, H, J, K, L, M, and N). The A and C1 (open comb) are definitely favorites -- they don't use a modern injector key, but they are easy to load modern injector blades in, and they have more "soul" to me than the later models. I also like the H1 -- it is a bit of a novelty razor, given it's shape, but I like how it shaves. I recommend trying an older vintage (perhaps a G, or earlier) for a more efficient shaver and a more inspired design. I'd also recommend a vintage GEM razor, if you haven't tried one of them yet.

Here are some pics of my favorite Schicks:
Type A -- Colonel Schick's first Injector razor (circa 1926-1927)
proxy.php

Type C1 -- First and only Open Comb Schick (circa 1933)
proxy.php

Schick Fashion Razor (H1 -- Ladies Razor ) -- Circa 1947 to 1953
IMG_1811.jpg

Top Bottom