What's new

Whats your opinion on pre-shave oil and ingrown hairs?

So as I wrote in a previous post, I was in Rome a few months ago.
During my visit there, I visited a classic Italian barber, for a shave and haircut. The experience was great, I would recommend it to anyone going there.
The barber shaved me with a shavette, two passes, first with the grain and then one against the grain. He applied pre-shave oil and used some Proraso green shaving cream to create a nice lather.
My point is that he gave me a perfect BBS shave and I did not encounter even one ingrown hair afterwards. Ingrown hairs have plagued me since I started shaving. I found that what works best for me is the Muhle R41 and tabac soap, but even then I cannot go against the grain, as I would always get at least one big one somewhere on the jawline.
I am wondering if it had anything to do with the pre-shave he used, as some have mentioned that it is very effective against ingrowns. I have also read that it is not effective at all. Or maybe it could just be that he used a shavette?
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

Alex

I've never had a problem with ingrown hairs from shaving but I am a firm believer in pre-shave oils. So much so that I've made my own mixes of pre-shave oil for quite some time. It does provide more lubrication and more than that it does help keep the skin moisturized, perhaps that's what helped you?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Well that is my theory, I have never tried one at home to test it out though. As a person with experience, what would you recommend? I am absolutely lost when it comes to pre-shave oils.

Well castor oil is the best oil, best for your skin and plenty of lubrication however on its own it will be too thick and "sticky" so it is often mixed with other oils to thin it out.

Here's the recipe for the oil I use so go from that for your selection of a commercial blend and you'll be golden... or make it yourself. This makes enough for about two years worth of shaving my face and head so it's pretty economical.

4 Ounces Castor Oil
2 Ounces Olive Oil
1 Ounces Vitamin E Oil
2 Ounces Coconut Oil
1¼ Teaspoons Sandalwood Essential Oil
½ Teaspoons Oak Moss Essential Oil

The Sandalwood oil is expensive, for quality oil expect to pay about $60-80 for a tiny bottle. You can change that to Cedarwood or something similar to make it even MORE economical.

I also use this occasionally for a beard oil and... WOW! Nice!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Find out what oil the barber used and try it out with proraso. Then you can figure out if that was the key.

I use pre shave oil, just 3 drops massaged into the skin.

My DIY mix is:
- grape seed oil
- abyssinian oil
- jojoba oil
- lemon myrtle EO

I also use a couple of drops as aftershave as the lemon myrtle oil is an antiseptic and also gives a light astringent tingle.

To answer your questions (at least in my case):

1. Ingrown hairs became a thing of the past after I went back to traditional wet shaving!

2. I don’t find much benefit from preshave oils, so don’t use those products.

I don't have an issue with ingrown hairs but never cared for the oils. I do really like and feel a benefit from the Proraso Preshave creams. I'll use them if I have to shave daily or had a bad shave a day or two before. I use beard oil on the Goatee daily.

I doubt it was the pre-shave oil. Those old school barbers are masters of their art. They have been shaving men for decades. Every time someone bashes Proraso I just say " If it's good enough for Italian barbers to use it's good enough for me"

I like pre-shave oil and dislike ingrown hairs. :)

I would have to say it was his skill, but perhaps the slight moisturizing help some hair shafts not catch on a piece of skin and instead push through. I suspect the hair was cut flatter, rather than at an angle due to skin stretching, lessening the chance for the hair to dig into the skin.

I’m sure it varies widely by the individual and their own oil production rate and more.
Jojoba Oil Benefits for Face, Hair, Body and More - Dr. Axe

“Oils” that are close in structure to our natural skin oils help to cleanse and dissolve plugged hair pores and then release what is backed up behing the blockage, whether it is hardened sebum or ingrown hairs, puss, grime, minerals and salts from our sweat, etc.

I use jojoba and coconut as my shaving product with no soap at times. Itks a neat way to shave...you can do it waterless, and it is easy clean up of the razor and face after. It doesn’t take a lot of rinsing to remove soap film. Which by the way can be part of the cause of ingrown hairs. . Shaving with only Shae butter a few days ago Gave a smooth shave, no irritation.

You probably have an oil in the kitchen you can try. Hemp oil, sunflower, coconut, hazelnut, walnut. Some might feel a bit sticky like castor, but a bit water or a drop or two of your favoritw essential oil blended in on the palms before you rub it on your face will help cut that feel some.

It’s my belief that ingrown hairs due to clogged pores, is more directly related to dairy consumption than to shaving. With dairy comes some puss, and added hormones. A person with high testosterone production already, or high oil production, which dairy corrupts the consistancy of, and probably the ph of, might suffer increased oil production due to the added bovine hormones. I used to get regular ingrowns until I quit dairy 29 years ago. I’ve not had one since.

Last edited:
If this master barber used it, he must have felt it was important in delivering a quality shave. Everyone's skin is different, so try one and see if it makes a difference for you. Looking forward to hearing how you do! JM

I haven't tried a preshave oil and then lathering, but I do occasionally shave with just an oil like Shave Secret. I admit I was initially skeptical, but it worked just fine; smooth, comfortable shave and my skin definitely felt better afterwards.

I don't get many ingrown hairs since I switched to DE shaving! I did purchase some preshave oil awhile back. I only notice it helping if I have a heavy multiple day growth. On my normal two day growth shave, it does not help. What does give me a slicker shave, is some preshave soap. There's a few good ones on amazon.

when I was ( cough ) cartridge shaving I used to get in growing all the time due to the way the cart cuts lifts and cuts up to five times so found this was actualy cutting the hair below the skin leave when it settled back causing the ingrowing hair . swapped to a de as it only cuts flush with the skin at its best and never looked back .

Top Bottom