What's new

Whats your opinion on pre-shave oil and ingrown hairs?

Well castor oil is the best oil, best for your skin and plenty of lubrication however on its own it will be too thick and "sticky" so it is often mixed with other oils to thin it out.

Here's the recipe for the oil I use so go from that for your selection of a commercial blend and you'll be golden... or make it yourself. This makes enough for about two years worth of shaving my face and head so it's pretty economical.

4 Ounces Castor Oil
2 Ounces Olive Oil
1 Ounces Vitamin E Oil
2 Ounces Coconut Oil
1¼ Teaspoons Sandalwood Essential Oil
½ Teaspoons Oak Moss Essential Oil

The Sandalwood oil is expensive, for quality oil expect to pay about $60-80 for a tiny bottle. You can change that to Cedarwood or something similar to make it even MORE economical.

I also use this occasionally for a beard oil and... WOW! Nice!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I use the same recipe for mine as well. I only use it though for the day after a bad shave with a new to me blade though.

To answer your questions (at least in my case):

1. Ingrown hairs became a thing of the past after I went back to traditional wet shaving!

2. I don’t find much benefit from preshave oils, so don’t use those products.

Point 2 100% agreed. Never generated any value add for my shaves that a good soap can provide, just extra time and expense.
Luckily for me ingrown hairs have never been an issue regardless of shaving medium.

My vote for the razor. A straight razor is a more effective shaver in skilled hands.

Carts can produce ragged ends on hairs, which can lead to irritation and inflammation, which can cause a hair to be ingrown. My guess is something similar is happening with your DE when going against the grain, it's not cutting the hairs flat. A DE's blade will chatter and bend and won't cut as cleanly going against the grain. That's one reason among many DE's tend to do better with multiple, less aggressive reduction passes.

My suggestion is to try a pre-shave oil and see how it works for you. Pre-shave oil definitely makes a difference in my shave, although I've switched to Grooming Department pre-shave lately. The oils work well, but I have very oily skin anyway, so I like the post shave feel of the GD.

I have never had ingrown hairs. But I do use a pre-shave oil. I think it gives me an extra layer of protection during that first pass. I don't reapply later. But you also don't mention what kind of blade you use with your R41. I have one and it is a nice razor. With the proper technique you can get a very nice close and comfortable shave. But some blades work well in some razors and others don't. Your issue could be the blade you are using. Speaking for myself, I typically use the following blades going from sharp to sharpest: Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver SI, Feather. With a razor like the R41 I think you want a very sharp blade combined with excellent technique. That combination might get you that shave free of ingrown hairs. Maybe. :001_unsur

I have never had ingrown hairs. But I do use a pre-shave oil. I think it gives me an extra layer of protection during that first pass. I don't reapply later. But you also don't mention what kind of blade you use with your R41. I have one and it is a nice razor. With the proper technique you can get a very nice close and comfortable shave. But some blades work well in some razors and others don't. Your issue could be the blade you are using. Speaking for myself, I typically use the following blades going from sharp to sharpest: Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver SI, Feather. With a razor like the R41 I think you want a very sharp blade combined with excellent technique. That combination might get you that shave free of ingrown hairs. Maybe. :001_unsur
This is a good point... I definitely get irritation and more possibility of ingrown hair unless I use a blade on the sharp side. I tried Wilkinson sword blades and they were horrible for me. I mostly use Polsilver and Feather.
I'm trying some Derby now that came with some other things I purchased... Ok the first 2 shaves, but I don't think I'll get more than 3 shaves out of one blade with these.

I was seeing posts about using Noxzema as a pre shave lubrication. It actually worked. No doubt. Better than Preraso cream.

it was the shavvette blade, many are using blades twice as thick as your DE. That will give far better ability to cut against the grain.

Remember that an ingrown hair is a cut hair that bends back and grows into the skin. The stiffer thicker shavette blade doesn't drag enough on it to force the cut end into flesh.

Top Bottom