What's new

What's your opinion on Nespresso?

My parents have bought a Nespresso, and I've been using it a lot recently since I don't have a coffee maker of my own.

Not sure if this is the equivalent of lauding the Fusion in the shaving subforums, but I'd like an honest opinion of it.

For my own tastes, I use two capsules of the darkest blend and froth the milk with the included milk blender...it's a little bitter but it definitely gives me a needed kick in the morning.

Totally love it!...rated #1 capsule system in europe...24/7 cs/guaranteed perfect shots everytime..whats not to love...plus guaranteed fedex 2 day shipping on everything they sell

Well, it may be rated #1 capsule system, but it's still a capsule system. I wouldn't categorize this with a Fusion.. I think I'd categorize this with an electric. Still, the electric razor industry does have a market, and so does pre-ground high-waste capsule coffee. They seem to share a theme: convenience over quality.

I don't hate Nespresso - the convenience is nice when time is short, but it is a trade off. here is what I pulled from AJ Coffee Co.'s Black Torpedo blend:

$IMG_1329 700.jpg

This shot is complex - the kind you still taste a long while after it is gone - I got hazelnut, caramel and cocoa in the aroma and cherry and cream in the taste. This was a tight pull - over 50% extraction of weight of the shot to beans - closer to 70% by my scale. The texture is like mousse - fluffy and light with that lovely desert taste that turns more like orange and cream as it cools.

Nespresso will not give this type of shot even on it's best day. Nespresso in addition, maybe. In place of a traditional espresso machine? Not a chance.

My folks and my brother have one. They are a classy unit that's for sure.
The customer service is very good.
Really though, you are buying into the convenience of using capsules.
That being said, they are amazing at what they do.

The coffee from this tastes sterile and has no bite to it. I couldn't face bland coffee after I wake up. Even plunge pot is better than that system. As was mentioneed above 'convenience over quality'. I agree.
I use a Bialetti stainless steel stove-top pot espresso and my coffee kicks ***!

Last edited:
Well, it may be rated #1 capsule system, but it's still a capsule system. I wouldn't categorize this with a Fusion.. I think I'd categorize this with an electric. Still, the electric razor industry does have a market, and so does pre-ground high-waste capsule coffee. They seem to share a theme: convenience over quality.
Yup,
Its a far cry from quality espresso but like a good DE shave quality espresso takes time and some skill. If you need a couple of shots and out the door in 5 minutes its your only option. If you want to learn how to make espresso it would probably take you about 15 min once you know what you are doing.
Funny those are about the same amount of time it takes me to shave with a cart Vs a good shave with a DE and its worth it.
Aaron

You may not get a balanced opinion here, since a lot of us are "into" coffee and trying to get the best experience possible. My take is that these coffee pod systems are much like a microwavable TV dinner. Where those are packaged for convenience and for getting a good outcome in the microwave at the expense of generating extra waste (packaging) and getting a less fresh or wholesome product. This is not to say that a microwavable dinner is wrong or bad tasting, they are occasionally good and very convenient, just not something to be used for every meal.

If you have not used an Aeropress, french press, pourover, etc. I would encourage you to give them consideration for you morning jolt. To see the difference first hand.

I don't hate Nespresso - the convenience is nice when time is short, but it is a trade off. here is what I pulled from AJ Coffee Co.'s Black Torpedo blend:

View attachment 249445

This shot is complex - the kind you still taste a long while after it is gone - I got hazelnut, caramel and cocoa in the aroma and cherry and cream in the taste. This was a tight pull - over 50% extraction of weight of the shot to beans - closer to 70% by my scale. The texture is like mousse - fluffy and light with that lovely desert taste that turns more like orange and cream as it cools.

Nespresso will not give this type of shot even on it's best day. Nespresso in addition, maybe. In place of a traditional espresso machine? Not a chance.
Thanks for the brief detailed review, Eric!

I like it. I tried some of the stronger crus but I found them bitter without much taste, the milder fruitier ones are better I find.

Of the pod coffee makers, Nespresso is my favorite. It's consistent (consistently good) and I actually prefer it to the inconsistent, over-roasted stuff that you get at Starbucks. There's obviously no comparison to a good Espresso machine.. just look at the crema on Eric's shot.. combination of great beans, great machine, and great technique.

Jasonian's comparison to an electric is a good one.. Nespresso takes the skill out of the shot, but can't replicate the quality of a manually or semi-automatically pulled espresso shot. It's like DE/Straight shaving, though.. there's a learning curve and there are many variables. Just as there are soaps, blades, aftershaves, razors, and brushes, for Espresso there are machines, beans, water quality, temperatures, pressures.. and the variations and opinions for shaving technique are appropriate analogies to things like tamping technique, pressure profiles, etc.

Seeing as most members of this board have addictive personalities (I, for one, confess proudly), I think most of you who enjoy good espresso would find the personal pursuit of the perfect shot as rewarding as you've found the pursuit of the perfect shave.
-\Visdom

You may not get a balanced opinion here, since a lot of us are "into" coffee and trying to get the best experience possible. My take is that these coffee pod systems are much like a microwavable TV dinner. Where those are packaged for convenience and for getting a good outcome in the microwave at the expense of generating extra waste (packaging) and getting a less fresh or wholesome product. This is not to say that a microwavable dinner is wrong or bad tasting, they are occasionally good and very convenient, just not something to be used for every meal.

If you have not used an Aeropress, french press, pourover, etc. I would encourage you to give them consideration for you morning jolt. To see the difference first hand.

The French Press seems like an inexpensive method to try out. Once the dark nespresso capsules run out, I'll buy one, they can't be too expensive.

Just to make sure, Cappuccino is a shot (or 2) of espresso underneath some frothed milk, correct?

All of those other methods mentioned are relatively inexpensive. French Press, Pourover cone, Aeropress...any of them will run $20-$30.

I would also suggest a decent grinder. A manual grinder can be inexpensive (hario mini mill $35) or a decent electric (Baratza Encore $130). This all depends on your budget.

And an electric kettle, $10 cheapo at the grocery store up to a high quality steel Pourover kettle $50 +.

Good on you for being open minded enough to ask honest opinions. We have plenty of those here.

I have previously owned a couple of Nespresso machines, plus a couple of higher end espresso machines including an Elektra Micro Casa Lever and currently a Lelit double boiler so yeah, I'm into coffee a little bit....

I found that the Nespresso took the place of instant coffee - it's just as fast but WAY better. However, if I want a 'proper' coffee then I'll grind, tamp and pull a shot from my Lelit. It takes longer but it's WAY better than the Nespresso.

In my opinion it comes down to time vs quality, which makes the electric shaving analogy spot on. Having said that, with plenty of practice I've got two flat whites on my Lelit down to just over five minutes including clean up so that makes the time vs quality argument less compelling. Not that I'm trying to enable you to buy a better machine.....and a grinder....and fresh beans.....:wink2:

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The French Press seems like an inexpensive method to try out. Once the dark nespresso capsules run out, I'll buy one, they can't be too expensive.

Just to make sure, Cappuccino is a shot (or 2) of espresso underneath some frothed milk, correct?

Yes. Unless you are me, then it is a quad shot lol! A good rule of thumb initially is to end up with 1/3 espresso, 1/3 milk and 1/3 froth. Then go from there as you find your taste.

The French Press works really well. Be sure to grind your beans fairly coarsely, so that the screen holds everything back. Don't over-steep or it will be bitter. Water should not be boiling, but should be somewhat cooler than that. I will take mine off the heat when it just begins to boil, and let it stand for 3 minutes. I have a 3 minute timer that I also use for steeping. It is a good idea to go ahead and decant all coffee that you intend to drink, and not let it stand for a half hour in the FP. A good thermos, pre-heated with boiling water, will keep it nice and hot for a few hours.

The plastic Melitta "Ready Set Joe" pourovers are now sold in many groceries, and they are crazy cheap. About $4 I think. These are fine to try out the concept, but you will probably want to upgrade from the plastic after a while. I "pre-wet" the grounds with a dribble of water and this works well for me.

My Bialetti Moka makes a nice brew, too, and moka coffee is close enought to pulled espresso to make a passable cappuccino. It is a cool device but costs a bit more than a pour-through or a FP.

I have had very good results with a $39 Mr. Coffee brand espresso machine. This is a steam driven unit, but in this price range, you should avoid the pump type machines because they actually seem to develop less pressure than a steamer. You have to fiddle with the grind (pretty fine) and the tamping pressure (good and firm) and the water fill level to achieve any crema at all. Your beans must be very freshly ground (like immediately before brewing) and preferably freshly roasted too. The machine steams milk fairly well but I remove the little rubber steamer thingie and just use the stainless tube. The pressure after making a 4 shot carafe doesn't seem to be high enough to get good results from the frothing tip.

My parents have bought a Nespresso, and I've been using it a lot recently since I don't have a coffee maker of my own.

Not sure if this is the equivalent of lauding the Fusion in the shaving subforums, but I'd like an honest opinion of it.
Don't care for it but it's a subjective matter as well. If you like what they produce and if you value convenience above all else then these types of machines are worth considering. If you value what's in the cup above all else and don't care for what they produce then look into the more manual options if you're willing to invest the time, money and effort (keeping in mind that espresso is a rabbit hole as well and there's quite a range in what you can end up spending). You need to decide based on your preferences and priorities. Not everyone's tastes are the same.

If you've been using their Nespresso a lot then you have the answer that really matters in the end.

If you want to compare to what's truly possible with espresso then find a good coffee shop and compare. I've never found any pods or superautos that even came close. Again, it mostly boils down to your tastes and how you value convenience versus quality. It's as YMMV as shaving.

Jasonian's comparison to an electric is a good one.. Nespresso takes the skill out of the shot, but can't replicate the quality of a manually or semi-automatically pulled espresso shot. It's like DE/Straight shaving, though.. there's a learning curve and there are many variables. Just as there are soaps, blades, aftershaves, razors, and brushes, for Espresso there are machines, beans, water quality, temperatures, pressures.. and the variations and opinions for shaving technique are appropriate analogies to things like tamping technique, pressure profiles, etc.
It's like anything in life, really. Achieving perfection takes time, money, skill, dedication and patience. Convenience usually comes with mediocrity. That said, not everyone's looking for the absolute best in everything. Many are willing to settle especially if it means less effort, less time, less cost, etc. We all pick and choose the areas in which we are willing to push as no one has infinite time/money/etc.

How do these compare to a Keurig?
From my perspective they're pretty much the same thing. Nespresso seems to be geared more towards espresso like Tassimo and, presumably, whatever Starbucks is working on. A pod enthusiast would probably see greater differences between the options out there. Additionally, Keurigs aren't all the same. The Vue system seems to have some changes that could impact brewing versus the K cup system.

There's at least one forum site dedicated to single serve machines that may be worth checking out if you're seriously interested in them. Again, preference/taste plays a big part in comparing. I say "they're pretty much the same" as none of them live up to what I expect. YMMV. Clearly many are very happy with each of them. My wife loves her Vue. I never touch the thing.

Last edited:
I took a good hard look at it a few weeks ago but didn't pull the trigger, I really liked the milk foaming canister though. I'm still using a first gen Barista from Starbucks, it's about 12 years old and sounds like a jackhammer, but it still makes a nice shot. I will take another look at the Nespresso when it finally blows up.

With acknowledgement given to Difference Between Similar Things:
proxy.php

But regardless of that picture, I heartily recommend drinking with whatever ratio or milk and foam you like. I think you will like the taste of the French press, but it does require a better quality coffee grinder than the drip method. Though its always better to buy fresh whole beans and grind just before brewing, if using something like the Melitta "Ready Set Joe" pourover mentioned above, it can be more forgiving when used with pre-ground coffee or a whirly blade grinder.

A cappuccino is defined by a shot of espresso topped with lightly frothed milk, to total a volume at roughly, and not to exceed ~5.5oz.

Modify to taste.

p.s. - the "tons 'o' foam" picture is inaccurate. The "rule of thirds" is inaccurate. However, if you like, I would be happy to explain how those got started.

Top Bottom