What's new

What's Your Moustache Wax For The Day?

Mark ..

I've been using them for years - but am not sure they are in business anymore. (They were always sort of hard to get a hold of, running a small business out of their home. Website URL does not redirect to an active site.) I grabbed a few containers a couple years ago and am now running low. Here is a youtube.com review that is pretty spot on:

(Click YouTube icon for video review.)

I've been sort of moving away from "waxes" and more using "oil blends". I think most underestimate the power of a regular beard/moustache oil to actually hold a basic style; even for longer Mo's. For example I used,

Esjberg Olive beard oil

And it held a English style moustache even on a 90 degree day. I'm not endorsing any product as I've used all types of brands, the Esjberg happened though to work extremely well. I guess well enough for me to write two paragraphs. Sorry ! Just try it sometime ( any brand ), I bet you'd be surprised.

My go to has been Oregon Wild Hair, but I also use Firehouse Wacky tacky every now and then. My handlebars are getting long enough that they're getting hard to manage without copious amounts of wax though. I've been considering trying some oils to see if they'll kinda revitalize my mustache hairs and make them easier to manage. I saw above that others have found some luck going that route.

I think I'm going to go with a real "wax" today despite the heat. Soo if I'm going to do it, I'm using what I like and I really like Lockhart's.

Here's a good question for this fine crowd, I find when I use a "traditional" wax I always loose 1-3 hairs either while blending it in or, removing it with an oil blend. Any advice ?

strop

Now half as wise
Periodic hair loss is normal, whether on the head or the beard, though that sounds a bit much. I would try to soften it more before applying and see if that helps. It works for me, at least.

Lockhart's today, with Clubman as a topcoat.

strop

Now half as wise
Firehouse today.

My bride happened to be using her blow dryer at the time I brought out the wax, so used it heat it up. Works like a champ!

Got a really nice shape this morning too. I really hope it wasn't because I used the hair dryer, though. It is just too much trouble to get it out just to soften some moustache wax!

Periodic hair loss is normal, whether on the head or the beard, though that sounds a bit much. I would try to soften it more before applying and see if that helps. It works for me, at least.

Lockhart's today, with Clubman as a topcoat.

Thanks Strop ! I appreciate the advice. I will try that as when I use a water based like Pinaud this doesn't happen ( it's soft ). I'll let you gents know how it turns out.

strop

Now half as wise
Thanks Strop ! I appreciate the advice. I will try that as when I use a water based like Pinaud this doesn't happen ( it's soft ). I'll let you gents know how it turns out.

It's a little inconvenient, but using a hairdryer for even just a few seconds really softens it up.

This arrived yesterday, and I used it for the first time today.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439603780.018804.jpg

Last edited:
This may be blasphemy here and by no means am I saying this is a replacement for a wax. Has anyone else used a beard oil to hold a "light" style like a natural English or a shorter moustache ? I have a large handlebar, very large. I learned by mistake a while back any beard oil like the oil you use to remove wax will hold a light style. I've been using oil alone for appx. A week and it works wonderfully. Can I post my oil in this thread ? I'm using oil btw as ( again an assumption ) to give my MO' a break from the constant twirlinging, and allowing it to just do its thing while staying somewhat groomed.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439990074.893749.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
I've never seen any rules posted for this thread!:lol: Sounds like a nice change of pace. I'm at the point that I only need wax on the outer half of the stache, but it is just too wiry not to use any. Even something like Pinaud just doesn't have enough hold to do the job.

Top Bottom