What's new

What's Your Moustache Wax For The Day?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My friends, I apologize if this is asked in the wrong place but I have a simple question for you "stache fans" please. With my last order from WCS I also added the famous Firehouse Wacky Tacky wax and a moustache comb to my order. I currently have no moustache but am tempted to let it grow sometime in the near future. So, here is the question: How long can I keep my wax in its tin unopened and unused? Does it have an expiry date? Many thanks.

strop

Now half as wise
It won't be a problem, Marco. I've had some for at least a couple of years, since i tend to buy in bulk when I order.

If you haven't used it in 5 years, I'll make a trip to Italy and take it off your hands!:thumbup1:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It won't be a problem, Marco. I've had some for at least a couple of years, since i tend to buy in bulk when I order.

If you haven't used it in 5 years, I'll make a trip to Italy and take it off your hands!:thumbup1:

Mark, I hope to wear a beautiful moustache one day. And I also hope to have the pleasure to meet you here in Italy. :001_smile

strop

Now half as wise
Fawcetts seemed very smooth to me. First few uses benefitted from softening with a hair dryer, but after getting thru the top crust (for lack of a better description) it softened with just body heat. I rate it at between medium and hard hold.

Thanks. I'm still on a quest to find the perfect one. Closest I've come so far is a combo of Fisticuffs and Firehouse.

Any idea what the difference is between regular and expedition?

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
I never tried the expedition, but I assume it is intended to be a stronger hold. Think climbing Mount Everest without your handlebar drooping!:w00t:

I agree about the Fisticuffs. Good stuff but just to yellow. Gold Dachs also has a very nice consistence, but again, about the same hold as the Captain.

I ordered a Captain Fawcetts and a Lockhearts. I let you know my opinion once I get 'em.

So far for me I've tried Clubman (garbage), Mans Face Stuff and Fisticuffs (didn't have the hold I was looking for), Firehouse (great hold but just too sticky) and Damn Handsome (greasy with little hold)

Captain Fawcetts today, I'm not keen on the Sandalwood but it seems to be holding up pretty well. I'll have to check it out for a full day tomorrow though.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I received a tins of Firehouse Dark and Tacky this weekend. I tried the Tacky yesterday, and the Dark today. For me, the Dark doesn't have the hold that I need right now. My stache is about .5" or maybe a little more, and the dark can't keep the hair where I comb it. Maybe once it gets a little longer I'll give the dark another try.

strop

Now half as wise
My stache is about .5" or maybe a little more

That's a tough stage. Hard to control and the temptation is to trim it back. Definitely gets easier as it gets longer, but there will always be those shorter ones to give you fits.

That's a tough stage. Hard to control and the temptation is to trim it back. Definitely gets easier as it gets longer, but there will always be those shorter ones to give you fits.

Up to a point. Then, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

I was putting a camera bag over my shoulder yesterday and pinned the end of my moustache under the strap. Ouch!

Measuring in inches, not fractions of inches these days.

With enough wax and lots more patience than I have lately, I could make the ends reach up to my eyebrows.

Each year that I wear the 'stache long like this (which is not every year), I swear that I will enter moustache contest. And, something always intervenes. Usually in the form of a severe trim motivated by my wife. Maybe this will be the year. Finally.

Today's wax: Beardology

View attachment 498993

I tend to go for soft waxes with not a huge amount of hold. The stiffer compounds tend to cause me to shed.

I'll be trying out a wax from a local company called Twisting Roots I got at the farmers market. They basically made it because myself and another gentleman were inquiring about it.

Badger navigator. It's not the best hold throughout the day but it is very easy to apply. I love the scent too!

I have recently been using the Badger Navigator as well. It conditions nicely and holds decently, and I like that its reworkable. The hold isn't strong enough for the tips of a handlebar though, so I use Firehouse for those. It's a nice combination.

Top Bottom