What's new

whats your most expensive fountain pen

That award goes to a Nakaya pen I ordered a few weeks ago
proxy.php

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ohto Tasche. I think it cost me about £10 :lol1: Works great, perfect for daily carry, and I've had lots of compliments about it.

I think the most I ever paid for a pen was around £35-£40 for a ballpoint about 20 years ago. It failed quite dramatically one day, wrecking a shirt in the process. I've bought cheap pens ever since. No regrets.

Updated from my post from 2019.... (sorry about the bold text.. It's a copy/paste)
Nakaya Portable Cigar Ascending Dragon 3 Ao-tamenuri

Montblanc 320 - 1971 manufacture in mint condition.... fine 14k gold nib.... writes like a dream with the Noodlers Five O'clock Shadow ink....yes I still have some.

I purchased a Montblanc 149 for $75.00.

But the most expensive pen was the Bic I used to sign the marriage license.

I too used my most expensive pen, Sailor 1911L, to sign the marriage certificate.

However the ink I used is priceless, it's only been produced 3 (off) times in my lifetime.

1) Jonny Wilkinson kicking the drop goal to beat the Wallabies in the 2003 Rugby World Cup.
2) Leo Barry taking the final mark in the 4th quarter in the 2005 AFL Grand Finals to which the West Coast Eagles lost by a kick.
3) The event in which a happy, easy going, full of life man was sacrificed to create a husband. As a verb, "husband means to conserve resources and use them frugally."

The ink ... my tears.

I'm afraid if I think about how much I have spent on some pens Candyman will come out of a mirror and say demeaning things about the size of my 401K.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
My most expensive is my Pilot Custom 912 with a WA nib, but my most valuable (to me) is my Sheaffer Imperial VIII, which cost me nothing as it was a gift from my Father.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ohto Tasche. I think it cost me about £10 :lol1: Works great, perfect for daily carry, and I've had lots of compliments about it.

I think the most I ever paid for a pen was around £35-£40 for a ballpoint about 20 years ago. It failed quite dramatically one day, wrecking a shirt in the process. I've bought cheap pens ever since. No regrets.

Scratch that ... I just did a bit of online shopping. :biggrin1: After 3.1/2 years of using the sub-£10 ebay specials, I decided to "upgrade" a little bit.

Nothing extravagant, but I decided to try one modern western made pen, and one old English made pen, and put them head to head against my ebay cheapos. Lets see if there really is any benefit to paying more. I found a Parker 45 Flighter of roughly the same vintage as me ('69-'79) for £35, and a brand new black Parker IM Premium in black/gold for £20 (Reduced from £70 - bargain!). I've no idea what to expect in terms of functionality comparisons. However, even it they aren't discernibly superior, I'm still quite happy getting two all-metal pens for that money. Polymer pens don't particularly interest me.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The most expensive pen I've ever bought was probably a Waterman Opera in heavy sterling.

The most expensive pen I own, however, is most likely a Parker "51 Empire State" vac-fill with a solid gold cap. I've been offered some serious money for that puppy.

I purchased a new Waterman Perception fountain pen some 5 years ago for $80.

It is a beautiful pen but definitely not intended to be used for extended writing sessions.

I mostly prefer my Pilot Metropolitan and Lamy Safari fountain pen over the Perception fountain pen.

Yeah, there are some pens like that. My Parker 75 Cisele is one. It is a fantastic pen to look at and the nib is out of this world. But after a few pages of writing, the thin grip makes the pen uncomfortable. For extended sessions, it is simply not the best tool for the job.

Top Bottom