What's new

What's your most efficient razor and your daily driver?

I have three daily drivers that just so happen to also be my most efficient razors:
Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Gillette British Flare Tip Rocket
Fendrihan closed comb DE

The most efficient razor for me is the Feather AS-D2.

It's a mild razor as we all know, but boy if you get that angle right there's nothing to beat it. For the first 6 months that I owned mine I wasn't terribly impressed, as I was only attaining BBS with great difficulty.

Then I watched a YouTube video where it was pointed out that the handle has to be at 45° to find that very small cutting window. If you can find it - wow.

It's easy to get the blade on your face with an aggressive razor, as there's more on show, but with the mild ones good technique is the key.

When I read other people's comments about how mild and ineffective it is, it makes me wonder if all they need is a change to the angle of attack.

M

member 119848

Most efficient : R41
Daily driver: R41 ...but hey, it´s a tide with my PAA bakelite OC slant!

Most Efficient - PAA DOC Evolution Stainless

Daily Drivers - Leresche 51, Gillette Toggle F4, Shick Krona and Gillette Knack

My most efficient razor is my Schick E2. It’s in my rotation, so it’s only my daily driver when it comes up in the rotation every couple of months due to a plethora of razors.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Most efficient is the Gillette New (long comb); I don't really have a daily driver, but the Gillette pre-war Tech is my go to for when I need daily shaves or I'm travelling.

I have a few that are aggressive and enjoyable to shave with:
Gillette Adjustable's: Fatboy , Slim and BB @7. Fatboy is my favorite.
Stainless Weber PH with Classic handle
Gems. 1912, MMOC
Probak OC, 1920 Single Ring

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback! Some incredible perspectives here, and a lot of YMMV is clear.

Thank you for mentioning my thread and I wish I could name mine but I’m always shaving with different razors as you can probably tell! Lol

With that said up to this point the most Efficient razors I’ve ever shaved with is the 2011 R41, Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC and the Ikon Tech. I have a new razor I just bought that might be right there with them or even surpass them in efficiency.

I have no daily driver but I certainly can think of many very good ones both modern and vintage.

Excellent Thread BTW and I’m sure you’ll get a lot of input from other members.
Great shaves!

Your shave off is incredibly insightful! With so many great shavers, I'm not at all surprised you switch it up all the time.

After trying a ton of razors, I settled on my Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle as my ‘daily driver.’ I also find that it is quite efficient when paired with a sharp blade. :a29:

The Wolfman .74 definitely seems to be a great destination razor. I hope I can get it down to a handful or just 1 one day. Did you use any other Wolfman gaps before settling in with the 74?

My most aggressive that I use is my ATT SE1. It's not really bad but it is on the aggressive side.
My daily driver would be my Fatip Grande. Smooth but also efficient.

My Fatips have been daily drivers at various points, but for me they are not quite as "smooth" on my face as the GC or R41. I'll probably revisit them soon.

Most efficient daily driver is my Karve CB plate F.

That is an efficient daily driver. I've heard it's a very rigid design too. Do you do a single ATG daily?

Most efficient is my Timeless 0.95OC. I don't have a daily driver, although it would probably be my Game Changer.

I've heard a lot of great things about Timeless, and I keep staring down the Titanium 95 SB. Seeing as virtually all other Titanium razors cost double, I'm very interested in it.

What version/handle do you have?

As another GC user, are you going to try out their .84 gap in another couple weeks?

Most efficient is probably my Old Type. My daily driver is my Karve CB C plate.

I used the Old Type as a daily driver, but occasionally it did cause irritation on days 3-6.

The Karve is interesting to me because of the rigidity, but the wide range of feedback on plates and YMMV confuses me as to which plates to get. What would you compare the C plate to?

My most efficient razor is the Asylum Rx but my most efficient DE is a toss up between CG level 3 OC and Wolfman 94 dual comb. I don’t have a daily driver I like to use my whole collection

Those are 3 respected and efficient razors for sure.

CG lvl 3 or Ikon Tech. Both daily drivers.

I envy that you can use those daily.

I'm in this boat. I seem to be blessed with a forgiving face, as I shave every day, and I always use an "aggressive" razor. Jim mentioned two of them, but I also use (daily) the R41 2011, Blackbird OC, PAA DOC Evolution in stainless, Le Coq cage comb, ATT H2, etc. Once in a while I'll stray off course for a day (Paradigm 17-4, Karve/F plate, Rockwell 6S with the #6 plate, Timeless .95 OC, etc.), but I always go back to my efficiency kings.

That's quite the aggressive collection. I'm also jealous you can use those daily!

Most efficient is a Muhle R41. I rotate often so right now the closest thing I have to a daily driver is the Fatip Testina Gentle. I also like a first release Gillette New LC on a regular basis.

I enjoy my Gentile, but I found its efficiency about the same as the GC. But, for me the GC was just smoother on my face.

I rotate through many different razors, OC, SS, New LC, SC etc. My most efficient would be the Muhle R41 (2013) and my daily driver (if I could pull just one) would be my 30s New LC or 38 Sheraton...

I really enjoy my 30s New LC too. I may give that a go as the daily for a while.

As I got into traditional wet shaving to save money my daily driver is the 34c I bought 10 years ago. My most aggressive would be the $9 shavette a bought on Amazon recently. Those are my only 2 razors. (I've saved tons of money)

Disciplined genius.

Smart. Very smart.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

+1

Most aggressive: R41.
Daily shaving: iKon X3 (ultra mild).

A lot of votes for R41 as most efficient, including myself. It's almost "perfect" for me. I just wish it was a tiny bit more rigid ATG. For the $, it's hard to beat in efficiency.

What handle do you pair the X3 with?

My most efficient and daily driver is a 1970s Gillette aluminium tech

I'm curious about the Aluminum Techs. Do you think the lighter weight and maneuverability helps you shave more closely/ comfortably?

For me it's Fatip on both counts.

I was all in on Fatips for a while. I will say, for the quality of the razor and shave for the $, it's really hard to beat.

The most efficient razor for me is the Feather AS-D2.

It's a mild razor as we all know, but boy if you get that angle right there's nothing to beat it. For the first 6 months that I owned mine I wasn't terribly impressed, as I was only attaining BBS with great difficulty.

Then I watched a YouTube video where it was pointed out that the handle has to be at 45° to find that very small cutting window. If you can find it - wow.

It's easy to get the blade on your face with an aggressive razor, as there's more on show, but with the mild ones good technique is the key.

When I read other people's comments about how mild and ineffective it is, it makes me wonder if all they need is a change to the angle of attack.

That's an interesting perspective. My biggest gains in efficiency have mostly been prep, skin stretching and angle discipline. I guess that's support that you really can "dial in" any razor to a high level of efficiency.

Most efficient the dart
daily. Timeless 68 oc

I saw your posts on the Dart. I almost pulled the trigger reading those. I've been staring the Dart, Timeless Ti 95, Karve, and the 84 GC trying to make a decision. I suppose I could get the Dart, new GC, and a Karve for the price of the Ti. Which is why I haven't gotten any (aside from the availability of the Karve & GC).

Most efficient : R41
Daily driver: R41 ...but hey, it´s a tide with my PAA bakelite OC slant!

I may have to pull out the PAA soon.

Most efficient! Ikon Tech, R41

Daily Driver: NEW LC, Karve, Rockwell 6C

That's a great Daily list. What plates do you use on the Karve and 6C?

Most Efficient - PAA DOC Evolution Stainless

Daily Drivers - Leresche 51, Gillette Toggle F4, Shick Krona and Gillette Knack

Nice vintage list!

Most efficient is the Gillette New (long comb); I don't really have a daily driver, but the Gillette pre-war Tech is my go to for when I need daily shaves or I'm travelling.

Those are two great shavers.

I have a few that are aggressive and enjoyable to shave with:
Gillette Adjustable's: Fatboy , Slim and BB @7. Fatboy is my favorite.
Stainless Weber PH with Classic handle
Gems. 1912, MMOC
Probak OC, 1920 Single Ring

Nice list of adjustables! I just received my first Slim (I 1), and I'm trying it out tomorrow.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I was all in on Fatips for a while. I will say, for the quality of the razor and shave for the $, it's really hard to beat.
I like them, and I smile when I look at all twenty of my Fatips thinking of all the money I've saved. :001_tongu

I've heard a lot of great things about Timeless, and I keep staring down the Titanium 95 SB. Seeing as virtually all other Titanium razors cost double, I'm very interested in it.

I have the OC head with scalloped cap and 85mm barber handle. Fantastic efficiency, incredibly rigid, and smooth.

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback! Some incredible perspectives here, and a lot of YMMV is clear.

Your shave off is incredibly insightful! With so many great shavers, I'm not at all surprised you switch it up all the time.

The Wolfman .74 definitely seems to be a great destination razor. I hope I can get it down to a handful or just 1 one day. Did you use any other Wolfman gaps before settling in with the 74?

My Fatips have been daily drivers at various points, but for me they are not quite as "smooth" on my face as the GC or R41. I'll probably revisit them soon.

That is an efficient daily driver. I've heard it's a very rigid design too. Do you do a single ATG daily?

As another GC user, are you going to try out their .84 gap in another couple weeks?

I used the Old Type as a daily driver, but occasionally it did cause irritation on days 3-6.

The Karve is interesting to me because of the rigidity, but the wide range of feedback on plates and YMMV confuses me as to which plates to get. What would you compare the C plate to?

Those are 3 respected and efficient razors for sure.

I envy that you can use those daily.

That's quite the aggressive collection. I'm also jealous you can use those daily!

I enjoy my Gentile, but I found its efficiency about the same as the GC. But, for me the GC was just smoother on my face.

I really enjoy my 30s New LC too. I may give that a go as the daily for a while.

Disciplined genius.

+1

A lot of votes for R41 as most efficient, including myself. It's almost "perfect" for me. I just wish it was a tiny bit more rigid ATG. For the $, it's hard to beat in efficiency.

What handle do you pair the X3 with?

I'm curious about the Aluminum Techs. Do you think the lighter weight and maneuverability helps you shave more closely/ comfortably?

That's an interesting perspective. My biggest gains in efficiency have mostly been prep, skin stretching and angle discipline. I guess that's support that you really can "dial in" any razor to a high level of efficiency.

I saw your posts on the Dart. I almost pulled the trigger reading those. I've been staring the Dart, Timeless Ti 95, Karve, and the 84 GC trying to make a decision. I suppose I could get the Dart, new GC, and a Karve for the price of the Ti. Which is why I haven't gotten any (aside from the availability of the Karve & GC).

I may have to pull out the PAA soon.

That's a great Daily list. What plates do you use on the Karve and 6C?

Nice vintage list!

Those are two great shavers.

Nice list of adjustables! I just received my first Slim (I 1), and I'm trying it out tomorrow.

I would say the C plate is about a Rockwell 6c 4.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom