What's new

What's Your Latest "Great Antique Store Find"?

I've just had a couple summer weekends heading out to cottages and rummaging through small town antique shops to see if they have any straight razors. I thought that I'd share my latest great find and hopefully hear from others having similar outcomes in small town shops. In a day and age when eBay and web-base auctions seem to be the place to go, I always enjoy supporting these small-town stores.

This past weekend, I drove through a couple towns in Quebec's Eastern Townships. One shop had about 15 straights, most of which were rusted, chipped and with broken scales. They were each labelled $49 but the owner told me he considered $30 to be more realistic. In amongst this mess of broken razors were two Case's Aces (1920s??) that look like they had hardly been used. They cleaned up easily and shave great. I'm still shaking my head as to how these stayed so nice for such a long time.
Cases Aces.jpg

This Wade & Butcher wedge is at least 140 years old and delivers a great shave. The scales are in perfect shape and look to be original. Cost $5.00 US.
DSC_6330 - WB 4-8s - on Countertop.jpg

Nice Wade & Butcher. I haven't found anything decent at the $5 level, but below is a Frederick Reynolds I found for $30CAD last weekend. It was outright caked in greasy dirt. I've given it a washing plus a bit of a polish but I suspect it will cleanup even nicer.

138 Frederick Reynolds.PNG

I've just had a couple summer weekends heading out to cottages and rummaging through small town antique shops to see if they have any straight razors. I thought that I'd share my latest great find and hopefully hear from others having similar outcomes in small town shops. In a day and age when eBay and web-base auctions seem to be the place to go, I always enjoy supporting these small-town stores.

This past weekend, I drove through a couple towns in Quebec's Eastern Townships. One shop had about 15 straights, most of which were rusted, chipped and with broken scales. They were each labelled $49 but the owner told me he considered $30 to be more realistic. In amongst this mess of broken razors were two Case's Aces (1920s??) that look like they had hardly been used. They cleaned up easily and shave great. I'm still shaking my head as to how these stayed so nice for such a long time.
View attachment 1010171
Very cool find. Those look they were really taken care of. Must not have seen much/any use for the blueing on the tangs to be so dark. Have you used any polish on the face of the blades? I really like Case, but I don't have anything that ornate.

I did use a bit of Mother's Mag Cleaner to polish the blades by hand. Prior to this the blades showed a few bits of light blueing as well, sort of a faint gasoline-rainbow effect. I'm likely to give the yellow one another polishing.

I gave each of them about 20 light laps across an 8000 grit stone, 20 laps on a 12000 grit stone and a few gentle strokes on a strop with some chromium oxide compound. With just that, they are readily a couple of the nicest shaves that I've had.

Top Bottom