What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

I just got 100 SP's. I couldn't decide on a favorite blade and people were noting that it is a pretty consistent shave. I almost got feathers, but didn't have the cash.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
+1 to blade hoarding as fun. :laugh:

What I found from a couple of store owners is that P&G just recently sold out of a huge surplus stock of Blacks manufactured in 2012. They are now gone. Wish I found that out before! The ones available now are manufactured in 2014 and with a higher MRP. I don't think supply is an issue with these newer Blacks.

Are the 84 Packs of Blacks with the 5+2 boxes currently on Amazon from the old batch or new? They are a killer deal at around $10.

Also, when my 100 blade order of Red IP's arrived from Amazon, I was dismayed to find that they were not in the cute little red boxes with the cool red blade wrapping paper, but the white plastic 10 pack tucks. The photo on the Amazon product page clearly showed the little red boxes. This kind of made me a little angry, and I went to another blade supplier and had to buy another 100 pack with the little red boxes. I know they are the same blades, but I love those little red boxes. Is that crazy? :)

I just made my first bulk blade purchase today. When I first started shaving with a DE razor earlier this year I grabbed a couple of blade sampler packs, and Bluebirds were my favorites. Unfortunately, I quickly learned that Bluebirds had been discontinued and so I went with the Polsilver SIs, which were a very close second. They're currently on sale at 400 for $80 so I decided to pull the trigger.

200 Astra SP just last week...they've become my go-to, and feared my stock was getting low, and my wife who's started to go DE prefers them too.

Are the 84 Packs of Blacks with the 5+2 boxes currently on Amazon from the old batch or new? They are a killer deal at around $10.
Can't say old or new until we can see the back cover. $10 is a great price indeed but I don't see any for that low on Amazon.

I currently have enough blades to last me a couple of years, more or less. But I'm still planning my next 100-blade purchase. I've only bought two brands by the 100: Voskhod and Astra Superior Platinum. Voskhod was my go-to blade for a year or more while getting the hang of DE shaving, and Astra SP is now my go-to blade and most economical choice.

My next bulk purchases online will be Astra Superior Stainless and Gillette Nacet, with the possibility of Rapira Swedish Supersteel if money allows. These are all ones that have delivered good results, last at least three shaves without any dropoff, and don't cost twice what they're worth *feather*.

However... Two weeks ago, the local barber supply store said they should have Personna blades in stock by the 100 in two weeks, for a very low price. That's today. I only work mornings on Wednesdays. I have a $50 bill in my wallet. Hmmmmm... I'm going to go see if they're the cheap "barber" blades or the ones I'm really hoping for. Blue wrapper, blue wrapper, blue wrapper!

100 Tomy blades because I heard they where the same as crystal blades. The first one done well for four days of shaving. (I change to a new blade on fourth day so it may have longer life I don't know.) the second one felt like a rack going down my face and scraped me in three places I trashed it. The third one seems ok although not as smooth as a crystal or merkur.

100 Tomy blades because I heard they where the same as crystal blades. The first one done well for four days of shaving. (I change to a new blade on fourth day so it may have longer life I don't know.) the second one felt like a rack going down my face and scraped me in three places I trashed it. The third one seems ok although not as smooth as a crystal or merkur.
Hi Mandan, I notice this is your first post. Welcome! I'm just curious whether you're relatively new to safety razors or just to the forum. Sounds like you have had some experience with different blades.

I also bought Tomy blades. I like them, but then I seem to be able to use about any blade for a long time. If you're relatively new, maybe put the Tomys aside for awhile while you stick with a blade(s) that works well for you now, and then revisit them sometime down the line.

My last 100 was actually 150 Silver Blue. I've tested them several times in the past, but finally couldn't resist when prices came down.

I don't believe the Tomy blades are the same as the Crystal. They are marked differently. However, the Q-Ball blades that can also be bought from a vendor in Israel have the same Super Platinum+ markings as Crystal.

I currently have enough blades to last me a couple of years, more or less. But I'm still planning my next 100-blade purchase. I've only bought two brands by the 100: Voskhod and Astra Superior Platinum. Voskhod was my go-to blade for a year or more while getting the hang of DE shaving, and Astra SP is now my go-to blade and most economical choice.

My next bulk purchases online will be Astra Superior Stainless and Gillette Nacet, with the possibility of Rapira Swedish Supersteel if money allows. These are all ones that have delivered good results, last at least three shaves without any dropoff, and don't cost twice what they're worth *feather*.

However... Two weeks ago, the local barber supply store said they should have Personna blades in stock by the 100 in two weeks, for a very low price. That's today. I only work mornings on Wednesdays. I have a $50 bill in my wallet. Hmmmmm... I'm going to go see if they're the cheap "barber" blades or the ones I'm really hoping for. Blue wrapper, blue wrapper, blue wrapper!

Oh, we'll have to see. 100 Personna "Comfort Coated" blades for $13.98 plus tax. It seemed too good to be true, but I stopped in anyway. I opened the box in the store. The blades say Personna on the metal itself, but the wrappers are white. Barber blades or Prep blades?

The store owner said that the same item used to come in blue wrappers, so I think I'm safe to assume these are Prep blades. I hope so, because I now have 100 of them.

Oh, we'll have to see. 100 Personna "Comfort Coated" blades for $13.98 plus tax. It seemed too good to be true, but I stopped in anyway. I opened the box in the store. The blades say Personna on the metal itself, but the wrappers are white. Barber blades or Prep blades?

The store owner said that the same item used to come in blue wrappers, so I think I'm safe to assume these are Prep blades. I hope so, because I now have 100 of them.

These should be what are commonly known as Lab Blues. They changed the packaging is all, from what I understand. Nice to get them locally - I just ordered some off Amazon last week. Enjoy!

They are not prep, they are the lab blues, which many say are essentially the same blade. The prep has "medical use" stamped on the blade. I believe that both now have the plain white wrapper though. That is a reasonable price for the Labs.

Top Bottom