What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

Sir, can you please compare BIC Chromium with BIC Astor Stainless? Are these two Greek blades really the same? I only have BIC Astor and I think they are excellent.

I just got 100 Wizamets because of the 2 dozen or so types I've sampled, this was one of the best AND the one that seems to be an endangered species. Other great blades I've experienced (Kai, Nacet, Indian WS, Voskhod, Ladas) can wait for bulk purchase while I continue to sample others. It will be a while before I determine who rises to the top.

The blade I HOPE to be worthy of a bulk package is a Tiger or a Tatra. My reason is that it comes from a smaller company (Czech Blades) that seems to concentrate on DE blades and avoids lefty moral preening in their general marketing (unlike P&G). It is a tall order though to match the quality of some of the best P&G blades. I'll give the Czechs a try this month. It's not enough for me to WANT them to perform well.

I ordered 100 Derby USTAs because I was bored and stumbled upon them for 7+ euros on ebay, free shipping.
So, my blades arrived today, seller is Split Seven. Nicely packaged, mint condition, I liked the stamps :p I will try them out in my next shave.

IMG_20210403_153720.jpgIMG_20210403_153740.jpgIMG_20210403_154036.jpgIMG_20210403_154049.jpgIMG_20210403_154129.jpg

Treet Black Beauties.

Because they shave closer, gentler, smoother, and last longer than any of the dozen blades I've tried. Because they don't have Teflon or other questionable coatings, and because they're simple pure carbon steel. They leave my face feeling smooth as silk.

Oh yeah, and they were five and a half cents ($.055) each, shipped!

I also got an old Norton safety blade hone and because they're carbon steel they should refresh just fine. I'm thinking I might be able to get a month or so out of every blade. If so I'll be spending less than a buck a year and be happy as a clam!

I know they're not for everyone. But since I'm one of the lucky few I may as well knock it out of the park...

I just got 100 Wizamets because of the 2 dozen or so types I've sampled, this was one of the best AND the one that seems to be an endangered species. Other great blades I've experienced (Kai, Nacet, Indian WS, Voskhod, Ladas) can wait for bulk purchase while I continue to sample others. It will be a while before I determine who rises to the top.

The blade I HOPE to be worthy of a bulk package is a Tiger or a Tatra. My reason is that it comes from a smaller company (Czech Blades) that seems to concentrate on DE blades and avoids lefty moral preening in their general marketing (unlike P&G). It is a tall order though to match the quality of some of the best P&G blades. I'll give the Czechs a try this month. It's not enough for me to WANT them to perform well.
I’ve not tried the Tigers, but the Tatra Platinum blades are a top performer for me! And for the price they are hard to beat! PolSilver/Wizamet blades are top of the line for me. As always ymmv!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
200 Perma Sharp Gold. They were on sale today at Italian Barber for $12.99 per 100 pack. That's about as cheap as they get. I threw a couple of soaps in my cart to get the free shipping. Winner winner chicken dinner.

200 Perma Sharp Gold. They were on sale today at Italian Barber for $12.99 per 100 pack. That's about as cheap as they get. I threw a couple of soaps in my cart to get the free shipping. Winner winner chicken dinner.
These have become my second favorite blades. Pretty good price on them as well

Sir, can you please compare BIC Chromium with BIC Astor Stainless? Are these two Greek blades really the same? I only have BIC Astor and I think they are excellent.

Yes, the BIC Astor are quite good, but the BIC Chrome are even sharper (and more expensive). They are definitely not the same blade. Astor are stainless steel, while the others are chrome coated, as the name suggests.

Dear colleagues, can you help me with comparison between BIC Chrome and Gillette Platinum? In Romania, it is harder to find BIC Chrome, cheaper and easier to find is Gillette Platinum. Is it worth ordering BIC Chrome from Turkey when I have Gillette Platinum at the corner store?

100 Indian Gillette 7 O’clock Permasharp-Stainless blades.

Heard a lot about them, first time trying Gillette blades.

Dear colleagues, can you help me with comparison between BIC Chrome and Gillette Platinum? In Romania, it is harder to find BIC Chrome, cheaper and easier to find is Gillette Platinum. Is it worth ordering BIC Chrome from Turkey when I have Gillette Platinum at the corner store?

Have you used both before? If so, do you enjoy the Bic enough to justify the extra cost?

If not, I’d get a few sample blades or a tuck of each to try them to see which you prefer. The Bic is crazy sharp and gets sharper each shave, only sharper blade is Feather. Many people on here enjoy the Bic, it was too sharp for me and I didn’t enjoy it at all. The Gillette Platinum is both a good mix of sharp and smooth and gives an enjoyable shave. It also has many people that enjoy using it. There are two versions of the Gillette Platinum, I’ve only used the new style with white writing. I liked the platinum but for me some other Gillette blades worked better.

Thanks for the answer, sir.
I haven't used BIC Chromium yet, but I already have 100 pieces of BIC Astor and 200 Gillette Platinum, which I like. Here it was said that there is a big difference (or not) between BIC Astor and BIC Chromium, so there would be a justification (or not) for the additional cost for BIC Chromium. But you're right, I have to try. For now, my wallet tells me that Gillette Platinium light blue, laser written, is the best choice for quality / total price for me. But ... curiosity urges me to BIC Chromium. I don't think I'll resist, but don't tell my wife this because I'm sleeping outside again!

Thanks for the answer, sir.
I haven't used BIC Chromium yet, but I already have 100 pieces of BIC Astor and 200 Gillette Platinum, which I like. Here it was said that there is a big difference (or not) between BIC Astor and BIC Chromium, so there would be a justification (or not) for the additional cost for BIC Chromium. But you're right, I have to try. For now, my wallet tells me that Gillette Platinium light blue, laser written, is the best choice for quality / total price for me. But ... curiosity urges me to BIC Chromium. I don't think I'll resist, but don't tell my wife this because I'm sleeping outside again!

I haven’t tried the Bic Astor so can’t personally verify this but Bic and other members of this fine forum have said that the Astor and Chrome Platinum shave / feel the exact same. Honestly, if you already have the Astor, I don’t think you will get any improvement or feel any difference with the Chrome Platinum

Thank you! You saved my money! But there are colleagues who say that there is a big difference between BIC Chromium and BIC Astor Stainles, so ...

Last edited:
Yes, the BIC Astor are quite good, but the BIC Chrome are even sharper (and more expensive). They are definitely not the same blade. Astor are stainless steel, while the others are chrome coated, as the name suggests.
I am getting deja vu by this, but according to BIC Greece, ASTOR is chrome and polymer coated too: https://gr.bicworld.com/sites/gr.bicworld.com/files/2019-02/BIC-Shavers-Greece-catalogue2017.pdf

Screenshot from 2021-04-15 11-47-05.png

Personally I had both great and terrible experiences with ASTOR, from tucks that were bought from different supermarkets.

I am getting deja vu by this, but according to BIC Greece, ASTOR is chrome and polymer coated too: https://gr.bicworld.com/sites/gr.bicworld.com/files/2019-02/BIC-Shavers-Greece-catalogue2017.pdf

View attachment 1251689

Personally I had both great and terrible experiences with ASTOR, from tucks that were bought from different supermarkets.

I just ordered a 100 pack off ebay for 12 bucks along with Personna labs for slightly more. I love BIC chrome plats, but the Astor I tried today somehow felt smoother even though it's supposedly the same blade, not a bad price so I figured why not get a ton of em...

Top Bottom