What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

Another 90 Gillette Super Stainless “The Spoiler” Why? Because they are one of the best blades I have used.

full

I have 200 of the newer Gillette Platinum blades. (That would make two "cases" of Russian blades). I bought them because I trust the Gillette blades. The Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (yellow) served me rather well. If this is an indication of Proctor & Gamble's Platinum blade performance, I am certain that I'll be happy with the outcome.

The 5 packs of blades look like the lower picture of the foregoing post.

I have 200 of the newer Gillette Platinum blades. (That would make two "cases" of Russian blades). I bought them because I trust the Gillette blades. The Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (yellow) served me rather well. If this is an indication of Proctor & Gamble's Platinum blade performance, I am certain that I'll be happy with the outcome.

The 5 packs of blades look like the lower picture of the foregoing post.

Is a 100-pack a "carton" or "case" of blades?
Using Razor Blades Club as a reference, the lower picture in my post above is not the New Platinum blade. The one denominated "New" is the top picture. The actual New blade is laser etched and has two arrowheads depicted on the etching pointing in opposite directions.

I have several hundred of the older (lower picture) Gillette Platinum blades and wanted to compare them because I read somewhere that the New ones were slightly better. I am still on my first New blade and have yet to confirm the quality difference if it exists at all. Certainly, in my experience, the Gillette Platinum blades you have are good quality and very reasonably priced. I bought several one hundred packs of those recently for between 10 to $12 on Amazon.

In the case of the New blades, a carton contains 10 five packs for fifty total blades with each tuck being individually packaged, apparently for retail display and sale. I bought 100 and was sent two cartons. This was a more secure way of receiving blades. These blades were $16.95 at Razor Blades Club.

In the case of the older Gillette Platinums, they came in one 20 by 5 pack for 100 total blades. The blade tucks are held in a light trifold cardboard package. This is, in my experience, the more traditional way blades are packaged and sold.

Me too. Except the opposite. I got the new light blue box first. Got the old dark blue and white 100 pack last night.
We'll have to compare notes down the line. Right now, I am using a New Gillette Platinum blade in my Charcoal Goods Gen 3. Today I had my Level 2 plate on and before that I used that blade with the Everday plate. I generally use the Everday when I shave every day (fancy that) and the Level 2 when I shave every other day. The shaves have been remarkably smooth and close with the New blade.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
We'll have to compare notes down the line. Right now, I am using a New Gillette Platinum blade in my Charcoal Goods Gen 3. Today I had my Level 2 plate on and before that I used that blade with the Everday plate. I generally use the Everday when I shave every day (fancy that) and the Level 2 when I shave every other day. The shaves have been remarkably smooth and close with the New blade.
I used the light blue Plat in a Charcoal Good Gen 1 Level 2 last week. Used one in WR2 1.15 today. So far those have been top shelf blades. Will try the older blue and white boxed Plat next week.

I spent the last two weeks testing the Gillette Perma Sharp blades while comparing different Tech Razors. And I have to say I was very happy with them. So I just bought a Sleave of 100. I loved Silver/Blues for a long time, then found the Nacet. The Nacet was my go-to for quite a while now. But the Perma sharps are really nice too. I will need to try to compare them at the same time but I'm thinking it will be hard to tell the difference.

Just last week, for no good reason (and no experience with either!), I bought 100 Gillette Platinums and 100 Nacets (based on reading about them and my experience with Silver Blues). The Platinums arrive today and the Nacets are due Friday. Why did I buy them? It's cheap enough to do a sample pack on a larger scale. I already have a large stash of blades I like and just wanted to add to the rotation. If I don't like them, well, one was $12 and the other $13. It won't be my ruin.

Edited to add, I just ordered 100 Perma Sharps for $10 delivered just to try these as well.

Last edited:
Just last week, for no good reason (and no experience with either!), I bought 100 Gillette Platinums and 100 Nacets (based on reading about them and my experience with Silver Blues). The Platinums arrive today and the Nacets are due Friday. Why did I buy them? It's cheap enough to do a sample pack on a larger scale. I already have a large stash of blades I like and just wanted to add to the rotation. If I don't like them, well, one was $12 and the other $13. It won't be my ruin.

Edited to add, I just ordered 100 Perma Sharps for $10 delivered just to try these as well.
If you like GSBs, then I'm pretty sure that you'll like Nacets. They are two of my favorites, with Nacets holding a slight edge. (No pun intended) :wink1:
Let us know what you think.

If you like GSBs, then I'm pretty sure that you'll like Nacets. They are two of my favorites, with Nacets holding a slight edge. (No pun intended) :wink1:
Let us know what you think.
I've got a wide variety of blades already, including Derby Extras and Wilkinsons bought at a Walmart many years ago. I don't have any bad blades. Honestly, I can hardly tell the difference between them save for the Feathers and even those, when used in my AS-D2 or ball end Techs work fine for a number of shaves.

Top Bottom