What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

Just pulled the trigger on 500 GSB's. Bought into the hype and tried the Wiz, Platinums get close but not quite, Astras are fine but GSB has been a smooth, fuss-free shave every time; I think I've found my blade.

Also some Stirling to go with it!

So my order of 500 GSBs finally arrived a week late, with a couple packages slightly crushed because the seller added zero padding and couldn't be bothered to seal the box properly either. For a second I started stressing about blade rubbing or moisture getting into the package...but when I calculated how much I'm paying per tuck, I shrugged and decided to move on with my life. The possibility of a few damaged blades over the course of the next 5-10 years (if that) compared to what I was paying for cartridges? :thumbup1:

Now, I just need to find someplace that sells desiccant packages for the other 400...

I'm pretty sure this is just a packaging change. The blades are the same.
You might be right. As of right now with my limited use of the Shark Platnium and Lord Platinum they both seem very similar to me. I've read here on this site some say they are different blades. YMMV I guess but both blades are made in the same factory by the Soliman group so it's safe to assume the Lord Platinum and Platinum Class might be the same blade different packaging.

So my order of 500 GSBs finally arrived a week late, with a couple packages slightly crushed because the seller added zero padding and couldn't be bothered to seal the box properly either. For a second I started stressing about blade rubbing or moisture getting into the package...but when I calculated how much I'm paying per tuck, I shrugged and decided to move on with my life. The possibility of a few damaged blades over the course of the next 5-10 years (if that) compared to what I was paying for cartridges? :thumbup1:

Now, I just need to find someplace that sells desiccant packages for the other 400...
Try a photo equipment shop. Or just type silicagel packages.

Maybe just buy a small bottle of aspirin. If I recall even the small bottles have the desiccant package.

But those are very very small, and halfway used up by the time you get them. Desiccant packages do not last very long, maybe a few months in an airtight package, and a few days to a week an unsealed container. I buy these for storing my 3D printing filament because they are nice and big, they turn from blue to pink when they are used up, and they can can be re-charged in the oven.

Vi-John super platinum
I couldn’t find any reviews and the guy on the packaging is to fantastic to ignore. 1970s for sure.

Got VI-JOHNs as well a few months back.. surprisingly good! I bought them for my back shaver but they ended up being a decent blade. Price was only $4CAD /100

Kinda sorta stocking up on Crystal+ blades because I read somewhere the Personna manufacturing plant in Israeli plant is shutting down, or already has, and I really, really like them. No panic-buying, but I don't mind laying up a few hundred since I don't really know what the future holds for these blades.

If you have the option repack them vacuum and in lower volume
Say 50 with a package of silica gel and then vacuum sealed.

vacuum sealers are used in food preparation and storage.
You want lower volumes in case a seal breaks in due time.
And for me 500 gsb blades is 10-20 years of shaving…..

Grabbed another 200 Personna Comfort coated. It's one of the four razor blades I stock in my den. I'm really getting into this one more recently, too.

It's my understanding that something happened a year or two ago (corporate buyout? Factory closing? I don't remember). Whatever it was, I read something about their DE blades being in jeopardy. I'd rather have too much than not enough. [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Got VI-JOHNs as well a few months back.. surprisingly good! I bought them for my back shaver but they ended up being a decent blade. Price was only $4CAD /100
Vi'john blades are very good blades on a par with Lord ss blades sharp enough and smooth and very cheap.They are good for three shaves generally.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I bought 100 supermax blue diamond titanium blind based on them being compared to polsilver/wizamet super iridium my favorite blades. I haven't tested them yet. It frustrates me that these are also out of production. Wizamet Super Iridiums are easy to come by, but, kinda expensive.

I bought 100 supermax blue diamond titanium blind based on them being compared to polsilver/wizamet super iridium my favorite blades. I haven't tested them yet. It frustrates me that these are also out of production. Wizamet Super Iridiums are easy to come by, but, kinda expensive.
The Blue Diamond Platinums and Diamond Edge are available from the Razor Blade Club website out of Sweden. You could order individual tucks of the Blue Diamond Platinum, Diamond Edge and compare. They may not be all that different. Some similarities with Polsilver, but not as long-lasting and not as consistent.

The Blue Diamond Platinums and Diamond Edge are available from the Razor Blade Club website out of Sweden. You could order individual tucks of the Blue Diamond Platinum, Diamond Edge and compare. They may not be all that different. Some similarities with Polsilver, but not as long-lasting and not as consistent.

I ordered a Tuck blue diamond platinums as well as a Tuck of supermax titanium to try as well. I'll get to them. I have plenty for now.

Top Bottom