What's new

What's your Ketogenic Plate of the Day? Or just post a great recipe!

I am just a few days away from starting my Ketogenic Diet. I have found that there are more here at Badger & Blade that follow this diet/lifestyle than I thought. Since I am just starting out on this, I could use all the help I can get for meals and snacks.

This is a thread dedicated to posting what you ate today...what your favorite dish is...a new recipe you would like to share...maybe even a question about a specific type of food.

Basically, if it is food and Ketogenic related...post it here.

Not quite keto but if you get tired of riced cauliflower and want to go a step further... Steam and drain a head of cauliflower (getting rid of extra moisture is important) add a bit of butter and/or sour cream while it is in the food processor. You will get something that resembles mashed potatoes. It is one of the dishes I will bring when going to holiday dinners so I know that there will be something low car for me to eat.

This isn't exactly the recipe I use but it is similar (I might have to start putting cheese and bacon on top...)
Loaded Cauliflower (low carb, keto) | Low Carb Maven

Ruckin.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Today for lunch was homemade chicken soup. Rotisserie chicken, broth, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, parsley, a pinch of poultry seasoning and garlic.

I don't follow the ketogenic diet but my wife does. I've been successful with keto in the past and plan on starting again sometime in the new year.

For supper tonight it's bacon-wrapped pork roast, sauteed savoy cabbage and spinach salad. The little one and I will have some bacon carbonara along with it.

Good luck with the keto, you might feel crappy for a few days at first but will start to feel great after.

The only thing I really miss on keto is pizza. For a couple weeks I was experimenting with some of the keto pizza crust recipes.

The first on I tried was the cauliflower crust. I used this guys recipe and it came out really good although it's a pain to make it:

This is a really tasty crust. And as advertised, the crust held together well

IMG_7385.JPG

I read a tip that Rao's sauce is low on sugar. So I use that for the pizza. It needed to be jazzed up a little so I added some garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and some Italian seasoning.

IMG_7387.JPG

Only 3g of carbs for 1/2 cup! I only used about 1/4 cup for the pizza and that was a lot.

IMG_7388.JPG

The pizza came out awesome! I made it twice more after this.

IMG_8206.jpeg

When i ran out of cauliflower, I decided to try the infamous "Fathead" crust. I can't remember which recipe I used but it was with almond flour and didn't include baking powder.

The basic recipe is really bland. You need to add some flavor like salt and garlic powder or Italian seasoning. I saw a video where a guy added yeast to the mix not to rise the dough but to give a little hint of yeast in the flavor and aroma. I might try that next time.

I don't like the flavor of this crust as much as the cauliflower crust but it's much easier to make and less messy.

IMG_7294.JPG

IMG_7292.JPG

Here's what the crust looks like. I thought it tasted a bit dry. But it was pliable like regular crust.

IMG_7293.JPG

If anyone has a good keto pizza crust recipe I'm all ears! I love pizza!!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Paleo Taco Salad.jpg

Taco Salad. I even mixed my own spices. We are avoiding all eggs, dairy, legumes, and limiting root veg and fruit.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This morning was an omelet. The filling was made with venison sausage, asparagus, onion, garlic, full fat cheddar cheese and spinach. Topped with avocado and hot sauce. A small amount of berries on the side.

I've been into making personal casseroles with leftovers.

Usually it starts with some leftover rotisserie chicken, chopped sausage, mixed with pesto sauce, Parmesan cheese, some spinach and pumpkin seeds covered with mozzarella and baked.

They're easy and quick. Also gave me a way to finally use all this vintage Pyrex I inherited from my grandmother. Remember the days with no microwave when you had to reheat all your leftovers in tiny Pyrex bowls in the oven?

IMG_7257.JPG

Speaking of cassseroles. I finally got around to making Keto Cottage Pie.

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7445.JPG

Topped with cauliflower mash and cheddar. Filling was leftover grilled steak, hamburger, bacon, spinach, mushroom, onion, and garlic. I thickened the filling with cream cheese and colored it with kitchen bouquet. Salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and marjoram for seasoning.

Even the wife wanted to eat it!

Speaking of cassseroles. I finally got around to making Keto Cottage Pie.

View attachment 850272

View attachment 850271

Topped with cauliflower mash and cheddar. Filling was leftover grilled steak, hamburger, bacon, spinach, mushroom, onion, and garlic. I thickened the filling with cream cheese and colored it with kitchen bouquet. Salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and marjoram for seasoning.

Even the wife wanted to eat it!

Oh man! That looks good!

Super good! I just had a leftover piece for breakfast. Not bad considering I totally winged it. I watched a few recipes and didn't go 100% with any. It's closest to the Headbanger's Kitchen Shepherd's Pie recipe.

Advice needed: Any good zero/low carb thickeners out there? When I added the spinach and mushrooms to the filling they sweated a bunch and it got watery. I didn't want the filling to be runny and lack constitution. But I didn't know exactly how to thicken it.

Ordinarily I would have added diluted flour or cornstarch but that's out for keto. So I added cream cheese. It did the job but added a rich creamy flavor that was good but Something i wasn't looking for. I'm sure it also sent the calories through the roof!

I thought of adding almond or coconut flour to the filling but I wasn't sure how, what proportion, or the effectiveness. So any culinary experts out there have any thickening alternatives? I hate using cheese to thicken everything. And I'd like to use it for keto stews or for future casserole fillings.

I'm so thankful and lucky that my friend's tree is still producing and provides a steady stream of these. As long as the season continues. I love avocados!

IMG_7516.JPG

Top Bottom