What's new

What's Your Go - To Pub Food ?

Do you have a certain pub food that you always seem to end up ordering after staring at the menu for a few minutes and not being able to decide? For me it's nachos. I love 'em . Sometimes I won't even grab a menu because I walk in knowing I'm ordering nachos.

Excellent call on the nachos.. probably my number 1 also.

There's an Irish pub near me that serves Curry Chips. Basically, French fries smothered with curry sauce. I go out of my way for them; they're ridiculous. Especially with beer. It's right by a great music venue too, so it's a perfect last call night cap.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wings ... with a dry rub salt-n-pepper. Helps me not stray too far from my keto diet. And they're really tasty.

Excellent call on the nachos.. probably my number 1 also.

There's an Irish pub near me that serves Curry Chips. Basically, French fries smothered with curry sauce. I go out of my way for them; they're ridiculous. Especially with beer. It's right by a great music venue too, so it's a perfect last call night cap.

Thinking of this makes me want Poutine soo bad!!!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nachos are up there, for sure, especially if can get them topped with chili. Wings are another favorite, and one of my favorite watering holes has some great ones worth a rub. That same place place makes an excellent pizza.

In other words, I have to look at a menu.

When in London, pub grub has to be bangers and mash, peas and onion gravy, a big glug of HP sauce and a pint of bitter. I might occasionally be seduced by a beef and ale pie, and if the pub also has the ale on tap that is in the pie, then even more likely!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Scampi and chips

One of the starters to share - but don't share it.

Steak and ale pie

Not necessarily all in the same sitting ;)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I generally don’t drink outside of the house, but when I have it has been chips and salsa- one of the main ingredients on the Texas Food Pyramid :). There is a place called Across The Pond that I’ve been wanting to check out. They claim to be an English pub ran by English people. I wonder if they have good fish and chips.

When I was a kid all you get in my local (Queens head) pub was,

Cheese / ham or cheese and and ham cob both with onion
Chrisp's, ready salted or cheese and onion
Scratchings
Salted peanuts.

Real pubs for real men. No women in the bar at my local only in the saloon. None of this fancy food you get now.

ham-cob-on-a-white-plate-D5C8FF.jpg Vintage-British-Retro-Walkers-Crisp-Packet-Ready-Salted.jpg thumb_3fcbb22bead7c70023a410afbe1b825e.jpg IDShot_225x225.jpg

Attachments

• ham-cob-on-a-white-plate-D5C8FF.jpg
    ham-cob-on-a-white-plate-D5C8FF.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 5
  • thumb_3fcbb22bead7c70023a410afbe1b825e.jpg
    thumb_3fcbb22bead7c70023a410afbe1b825e.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 5
When I was a kid all you get in my local (Queens head) pub was,

Cheese / ham or cheese and and ham cob both with onion
Chrisp's, ready salted or cheese and onion
Scratchings
Salted peanuts.

Real pubs for real men. No women in the bar at my local only in the saloon. None of this fancy food you get now.

View attachment 930751 View attachment 930750 View attachment 930749 View attachment 930748

Exotic stuff mate. Nothing fresh in my local back in the old days, the best you got was crisps, salted peanuts, and pickled onions all mixed together on the bar.

When in London, pub grub has to be bangers and mash, peas and onion gravy, a big glug of HP sauce and a pint of bitter. I might occasionally be seduced by a beef and ale pie, and if the pub also has the ale on tap that is in the pie, then even more likely!

100% correct, though I'd leave out the HP sauce. Toss up between cold Guinness and real ale....

Top Bottom