What's new

What's your favourite Simpson Brush?

1) Truefitt & Hill tortoise Emperor #3

2) Simpson M6 in Manchurian

3) P8 "The Phyl" in Best

4) The Colonel in Best

I wouldnt part with any of these and I just want to add a M7 in 2-Band (it is a long shot, as they dont hit BST often)

full

Polo 10 in Manchurian. Love this brush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough question to answer. The only full original Simpson I own is a vintage Chubby 2. I have a couple restores/customs with Simpson knots (most likely Chubby 1 knots) which replaced my Eagle and Chubby 1 in best... otherwise it'd be one of those two. I also have a wee scot knot in a vintage ivory turnback which is probably my most interesting "Simpson" from a collectors standpoint.

+2. Your choices are very close, not identical to my own.

I have had half a dozen brushes over the years. Started with inexpensive boars. Finally graduated to Duke 2 in Simpson's Best (#1 brush, with great backbone, perfect balance of scritch and softness). I needed (actually wanted) a second brush with similar characteristics.

After much research and several conversations with the folks at WCS, decided on Simpson's 57 also in Best. GREAT CHOICE!! Longer handle than Duke with different balance (more toward the substantial and very comfortable handle). Wonderful knot with great backbone and (after break-in) nice softness in the tips. Terrific lather machine, enough for 3-4, likely 5 or 6 (if you need that many) passes.

Now I have a two brush rotation. And I love them both!

Simpson Commodore x2. Ergonomic handle plus equilibrated knot both in density and size for facelathering with soaps and creams.

Cheers

Chubby 2 2-band, currently have three in my collection from different batches (recent 2-band Silvertip, 2-band Super from 2014 and 2-band Super from the very early Simfix days).

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Hard to really pick a favorite, they're all such good brushes, but probably my Duke3 Best, but my other 4-5 Simpsons are all so close it almost makes no difference which one I pick
I'm up to 8 Simpsons now, and I think my latest, a Chubby1 Best may be taking over as a favorite.

Tough question. I have an Eagle 3 in Super that gets a lot of love. I also have a Somerset era 58 that looks and performs beautifully. They're each my favorite in their own way.

I have the Special in Best Badger, and it's really under rated.

It's the most inexpensive line of Simpsons brushes, but don't let that fool you into thinking it's inferior. Seems to me the only way any cost has been cut is by making it a relatively small size, which suits me fine.

Without much pondering I have noticed I tend to reach for my Tulip 3 in Super quite a lot. A truly stellar brush. Highly recommended.
My latest acquisition is a Major in Super. Expensive compared to the what you get sizewise but a stunner and a brush that sticks out in my den/dopper.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I believe i have around 20+ Simpsons, and for me there are two that really shine.

Emperor 3 Manchurian and Chubby 2 Best (sommerset)

Top Bottom