What's new

What’s your favourite modern day de razor?

What time span do you mean by modern?

If I had to use exclusively one razor every day it would probably be the Merkur 34C HD. Gives a great shave and is not overly aggressive.

The one DE razor that gives me a shave as equal or better than a straight is the Muhle R41. I don't think I could shave every day with it though.

Both of these razors are currently in production. If I go back a few decades then the one razor I have that combines both of the qualities in the above mentioned razors is my 1961 Gillette Fatboy. I do a three pass shave; WTG on setting 4, XTG on setting 6, and ATG on Setting 8. That is one fantastic shave. Never tried setting 9. Maybe that is a project I could take on with the present quarantine!

I am quite surprised that I am writing about my new found enjoyment of the Rockwell 6S. I started wet shaving in November, 2018 with the purchase of a Merkur 34C. Then in rapid succession over the next three months, the Rockwell 6C, then the S model, then the Feather AS-D2. Later in 2019, I bought the RazoRock DE1 and the Occam's DE Safety razor with the scalloped bar. Of all of these, I have used the Feather and the Occam's the most (I really like the Occam's for some reason). But in practicing social isolation these days, I have moved up to my remote second house where I have been keeping the Rockwell 6S as my primary razor. I still have most of the Derby Extra blades that I purchased with the Merkur, so they are what I use. I have now been here for almost two weeks, and with the exception of only a couple of times with the RazoRock DE1, the Rockwell has been the daily driver. I have grown to appreciate it and can actually see what all of the fuss is about. I love all of my acquisitions and have special roles for each, that being locational and travel, but the Rockwell is singing right now and rightfully so.

My absolute favorite razor;
Rockwell 6S/6S Matte Black

With all my other razors it's easier to just list the ones I use the least;
Muhle R89 (Not a bad razor, just don't use it that much)
Muhle R41 (See my R89 statement)

What's a double open comb?
A razor that has open combs on the baseplate, and the cap too.
Yaqi-Fatip-DOC-Mini_2020-03-24.jpg

There must be a reason why Merkur 34C is the best seller. (I do not have a 34C, I have a 37C-slant and Progress adjustable).
There must be a reason why some people pay more than $800 for a Wolfman. I (still) do not own one.

I am sure, after so many proposals, the only I can say is welcome to the RAD-Club!

There must be a reason why Merkur 34C is the best seller. (I do not have a 34C, I have a 37C-slant and Progress adjustable).
There must be a reason why some people pay more than $800 for a Wolfman. I (still) do not own one.

I am sure, after so many proposals, the only I can say is welcome to the RAD-Club!
More than $800 for a Wolfman? My WR1 was about $275 at current USD/CAD exchange rate.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What's a double open comb?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RR.SLOC.640.7-18-18.JPG

RR SLOC.

1585049731981.png

The RazoRock SLOC is based on a 1940's vintage razor called the Grand Shave King Self Lubricating razor.

Notice the name of the patent holder. There are Chinese and other copies of his design. Some use the name Mellon for their heads, some means Yaqi.

The SLOC and the Yaqi just like it are very nice razors. I also have the similar PAA razor but it's not so good in my view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom