What's new

What’s your favourite modern day de razor?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Mellon isn’t he the guy who did the Triple Lindy?;)
1585213242798.gif

I have a lot of razors, including some, but no means all of the modern ones. I draw the line around $200, so anything that costs more than that, I will likely never buy unless pre-owned on the BST. My current favorite moderns are the Blackbird O/C, and for about half the price of the Blackbird, the GC 84 or 84 Jaws. I also really appreciate a modern throwback, the PAA open comb bakelite - I have it in 3 colors, and love it for the price, the weight, construction (including metal hardware inset into the bakelite), and the super close shave!

After a ten year hiatus from buying razors, in the last two months, I've acquired in chronological order:

RR GC .84
Rockwell 6S
RR GC .68
Karve CB
Rex Ambassador.

IMO, if I finish with the Timeless Ti, I'll have the modern day Murder's Row of razors.

That said, if I had to put them in order of preference, with the caveat that I haven't tried the Rex yet, and also that they are ALL great. Splitting hairs of great here:

Karve CB
Rockwell 6S
RR GC .68
RR GC .84

After a ten year hiatus from buying razors, in the last two months, I've acquired in chronological order:

RR GC .84
Rockwell 6S
RR GC .68
Karve CB
Rex Ambassador.

IMO, if I finish with the Timeless Ti, I'll have the modern day Murder's Row of razors.

That said, if I had to put them in order of preference, with the caveat that I haven't tried the Rex yet, and also that they are ALL great. Splitting hairs of great here:

Karve CB
Rockwell 6S
RR GC .68
RR GC .84
Try the Timeless Ti you might like it!

My favorite razor is the fatip open comb slant.

Five days on it and except for for the first day no nicks or weeper.

I'm down to one pass with the minimum of polishing.

It's very hard to pick a favourite. Much like picking a favourite child.

Feather AS-D2
Gamechanger .68
Rex Envoy
Merkur 15c
Edwin Jagger DE89

I've been a DE89 user for 10 years. I've only just gotten back into the hobby side of it again and started buying new razors recently.

If it came down to it the DE89 would be my #1 razor despite having others that cost more money. Familiarity is what I have with the DE89 and the intimate knowledge of how to get the best from it.

Top Bottom