What's new

What's Your Favorite Type Of Safety Razor?

Which Type Safety Razor Is Your Favorite?

• 1-Piece (Twist To Open)

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • 2-Piece

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 3-Piece

Votes: 78 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for 1 piece TTO, even though I have just one in my collection and itā€™s weishi clone. But the way how you can handle the blade is simple too convenient to just dismiss ttoā€™s like overengineered.
Ā 
Well, the voting is closed and the result really surprised me.
I expected the 3-piece design to win but this was a blowout. Not even close.
I voted for both 1-piece TTO's and 3-piece designs. But I never expected the results we saw.
That's what makes things interesting! šŸ˜Ž
Ā 
3-piece for me too.

Partly because a disassembled 3-piece razor in my carry-on never seemed to interest airport security when I still was flying several times a month.

Incidentally - and not intending to start another airport security debate - I do not believe that airport security staff šŸ›ƒ are by nature malicious, as far as razors are concerned they just donā€™t know any better and do what they believe they have been told (traditional razors = dangerous blades = confiscate). If they see three individual bits of harmless looking metal on their screen, that thought process does not even start.

B.
Ā 
If I could vote, I would go with:
2-Piece

I only use vintage SEā€™s. I own two razors types, which are my favorites, in order.

1924 ER Shovel head
1912 GEM ā€œsquat headā€ with vertical stripes

Both are:

-American made *British versions?
-both come with metal cases
-nice to look at
-well made and sturdy
-easy to use and grip
-provides smooth, comfortable, close
shaves
-have short handles
-difficult to nick self unless user error

The 1912 handle is shorter by 1/2 inch.

The scrappy toast sound of both, I look forward to hearing, especially with the Shovel head.

When shaving, going from scrappy toast sounds to no sound provides a sense of accomplishment,
at least for me.

The 1912 can be a little challenging to clean. Not a big issue.

I clean both after each use with alcohol from a spray bottle.

Take care of your tools, they will last a lifetime, literally. Both are already 80-90+ years old already!

Excellent razor choices. Cannot go wrong with either. IMHO.

Nice thread.
Ā 
Top Bottom