What's new

What's Your Favorite Type Of Safety Razor?

Which Type Safety Razor Is Your Favorite?

• 1-Piece (Twist To Open)

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • 2-Piece

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 3-Piece

Votes: 78 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of the three types of safety razors, 2-piece, 3-piece or 1-piece (Twist To Open), which one is your favorite type?

From a utilitarian, convenience standpoint, I understand why TTOs and DE blades loaded from cartridges came to dominate. I still prefer a 3-piece. Better shaves with less bulk, handles can be changed out, far more of choices among models, both in vintage and modern designs.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Also, you can change handles in many cases . You can go longer or shorter; lighter or heavier. You could choose a style you like or have one custom made. Some people love to combine different metals ………..all done more easily with a 3 piece razor.

Edit: @Tanuki won race……posted while I was checking my post on my phone. I will be so glad to get back to my laptop.

I concur that the 3-piece is rubust, undoubtedly the easiest to manufacture and it would be my choice ...
Sort of.
However, particularly since getting two vintage Gillettes, I have renewed appreciation for TTO types. More complicated, yes, but when done right, they're sublime; easy to use, well-balanced and efficient.

I can see the appeal of the convenience of a one-piece, but less so with a two-piece. So many times I wished I could just unscrew the guard so I could get the thing to store flat, or to pack for travel without adding bulky padding around the handle-guard area to keep it from getting bent.

I suppose a two-piece where the guard is usually attached to the handle but could technically come off would be the best two-piece. I would imagine someone makes something like this.

Voted for 1-piece. 3-piece razors are fine but rather utilitarian and joyless compared to butterfly doors, don’t you think? It makes me happy every time I open my Gillette Super Speed or Aristocrat. I wish all my razors had that feature or something equally surprising, clever, and fun.

I voted 3-piece but i have to say those TTO razors i have are super easy to load a blade into (Gillette Slim, Gillette Aristocrat #58 and Wilkinson Sword Classic, the metal TTO one).

Voted for 1-piece. 3-piece razors are fine but rather utilitarian and joyless compared to butterfly doors, don’t you think? It makes me happy every time I open my Gillette Super Speed or Aristocrat. I wish all my razors had that feature or something equally surprising, clever, and fun.
You nailed the way I feel about it too.
Yes, 3-piece razors are utilitarian. My Rockwell 6C is arguably the best razor I have and it never fails to give me a great shave and it's beautifully finished.
But opening those butterfly doors and dropping a blade into the bay on my Gillette Super Speeds or my Emperor Meiji or VDH TTO puts a little smile on my face every, single time. Probably not the most robust design of all time and yet two of them are 70 years old and still working perfectly so there is that ... :)

Top Bottom