What's new

What’s your favorite scent from TOBS, Truefitt & Hill, Geo trumper and D.R. Harris?

I haven't done the math but based on average pricing, what's the per ounce cost of the big three T brands? I don't find much difference between the ones I've used in terms of quality lathers and shaving experience.
Well it's ymmv as always , my personal preference is TOBS Jermyn Street and Truefitt Sandalwood , as for price per ounce it's almost identical between the 3T , with the exception of Trumpers Spanish Leather (almost twice the cost).

So? What's the clinical evidence that they are an issue or is this something else?
just reading "Paraben" on the packaging gives you cancer!

“Of greatest concern is that parabens are known to disrupt hormone function, an effect that is linked to increased risk of breast cancer and reproductive toxicity,” reports the non-profit Campaign for Safe Cosmetics (CSC). “Parabens mimic estrogen by binding to estrogen receptors on cells.” Research has shown that the perceived influx of estrogen beyond normal levels can in some cases trigger reactions such as increasing breast cell division and the growth of tumors.

CSC cites a 2004 British study that detected traces of five parabens in the breast tumors of 19 out of 20 women studied. “This small study does not prove a causal relationship between parabens and breast cancer, but it is important because it detected the presence of intact parabens—unaltered by the body’s metabolism—which is an indication of the chemical’s ability to penetrate skin and remain in breast tissue.” According to the group, a more recent study found higher levels of one paraben, n-propylparaben, in the axilla quadrant of the breast where the highest proportion of breast tumors is found. CSC reports that parabens have also been linked to reproductive, immunological, neurological and skin irritation problems.

Health advocates are pressuring the FDA to ban parabens in products sold in the U.S.—like the European Union did in 2012—but concerned consumers must take matters into their own hands for now by reading product labels and avoiding products with parabens.

“Many natural and organic cosmetics manufacturers have found effective alternatives to parabens to prevent microbial growth in personal care products,” reports CSC. “Some companies have created preservative-free products that have shorter shelf lives than conventional products (six months to a year), but if used daily are likely to be used up before they expire.” Readers can check out Breast Cancer Action’s list of over 100 cosmetics and personal care product makers committed to avoiding parabens in their products. Also, see if your favorite products contain parabens or other risky ingredients via Environmental Working Group’s free online “Skin Deep” database.

Last edited:
just reading "Paraben" on the packaging gives you cancer!

“Of greatest concern is that parabens are known to disrupt hormone function, an effect that is linked to increased risk of breast cancer and reproductive toxicity,” reports the non-profit Campaign for Safe Cosmetics (CSC). “Parabens mimic estrogen by binding to estrogen receptors on cells.” Research has shown that the perceived influx of estrogen beyond normal levels can in some cases trigger reactions such as increasing breast cell division and the growth of tumors.

CSC cites a 2004 British study that detected traces of five parabens in the breast tumors of 19 out of 20 women studied. “This small study does not prove a causal relationship between parabens and breast cancer, but it is important because it detected the presence of intact parabens—unaltered by the body’s metabolism—which is an indication of the chemical’s ability to penetrate skin and remain in breast tissue.” According to the group, a more recent study found higher levels of one paraben, n-propylparaben, in the axilla quadrant of the breast where the highest proportion of breast tumors is found. CSC reports that parabens have also been linked to reproductive, immunological, neurological and skin irritation problems.

Health advocates are pressuring the FDA to ban parabens in products sold in the U.S.—like the European Union did in 2012—but concerned consumers must take matters into their own hands for now by reading product labels and avoiding products with parabens.

“Many natural and organic cosmetics manufacturers have found effective alternatives to parabens to prevent microbial growth in personal care products,” reports CSC. “Some companies have created preservative-free products that have shorter shelf lives than conventional products (six months to a year), but if used daily are likely to be used up before they expire.” Readers can check out Breast Cancer Action’s list of over 100 cosmetics and personal care product makers committed to avoiding parabens in their products. Also, see if your favorite products contain parabens or other risky ingredients via Environmental Working Group’s free online “Skin Deep” database.

Yeah, not buying it. Gotta read between the lines like any good researcher would. That said, I've got no dog in this hunt so it's a non-issue to me.

That said, I've got no dog in this hunt so it's a non-issue to me.
In another animal study, developmental exposure to butylparaben harmed male reproduction by decreasing sperm production and lowering testosterone levels (Zhang 2014). Boberg (2016) found exposure to butylparaben during development in rats harmed both female and male reproductive systems. Sperm count was decreased at very low doses of only 10 mg/kg of body weight per day.

In human studies, researchers from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health found decreased fertility was associated with urinary propylparaben (Smith 2013). Another human study linked butylparaben and total urinary paraben levels with decreased fertility, as indicated by decreased menstrual cycle length (Nishihama 2016). Butylparaben levels in the mother’s urine and levels in cord blood were associated with increased odds of pre-term birth and decreased birth weight (Geer 2017).

Aside from animal studies not being immediately generalizable to humans and the propyl studies only applying to women (and them being correlative rather than causative), the concerns regarding butylparaben are also irrelevant in this case because T&H doesn’t even contain it; it contains methyl and propyl. Methyl is considered the ”safest” of the family (even by EWG who rate it at 3-4 on their scale), and it has not been shown experimentally to have estrogenic receptor activity; propyl does have some, but it is considered very weak.

Of note: “Estrogenic activity of parabens and PHBA was increased in human breast cancer cells in vitro, but the increases were around 4 orders of magnitude [10,000 times] less than that produced by estradiol.”

Also, parabens occur naturally in grapes, vanilla, barley, and flax, so if we are that worried about exposure, better cut all those out of the diet as well.

On-topic: I really have to try out some of these lime-scented soaps; they sound awesome. 😀

Top Bottom