What's new

What's your favorite Russian blade?

Are we talking pure russian blades ie. rapira and Voskhod or russian-American Gillette blades ?
Judging by the posts here we are talking about all blades that are made in Russia including Russian-American ones. Is it really that important if some blades are made by pure Russian company?

Are we talking pure russian blades ie. rapira and Voskhod or russian-American Gillette blades ?
Back when I used modern blades...
Pure Russian...Rapira Swedish Super Steels
Russian-American....the Polsilver/Wizamet Iridiums, and the Gillette 7 oclock Yellows, 7 oclock Dark Blues, and the Silver Blues

I've only tried Voskhod and I didn't care for them. Not sure why I'd want to try any others. My all-time preference is Wilkinson, the originals made in England when I can find them.

Voskhod, Rapira and Ladas blades are made in Moscow by a company called Mostochlegmash. They are unrelated to the blades made in St Petersburg Russia by Petersburg Products International which is part of Proctor and Gamble/Gillette.

Both companies make great blades and not so great blades, depending upon your specific shaving preferences. The only way to find out which work best for you is to try them.

Voskhod, Rapira and Ladas blades are made in Moscow by a company called Mostochlegmash. They are unrelated to the blades made in St Petersburg Russia by Petersburg Products International which is part of Proctor and Gamble/Gillette.

Both companies make great blades and not so great blades, depending upon your specific shaving preferences. The only way to find out which work best for you is to try them.
I like all of em. They all work for me. Russian blades are the best.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've only tried Voskhod and I didn't care for them. Not sure why I'd want to try any others. My all-time preference is Wilkinson, the originals made in England when I can find them.
Don't give up on those Voskhod blades! Someone years ago sent me one, and I never got around to using it. Then someone else on here "dared" me to. I loved it! But I wonder if I had tried it long ago it that would have been the case.... A guy that is no longer around here, @Highspeedlane, gave me a bunch of GSB blades when I'd only been here a week or so, I think he had pity on me, lol. Anyhoo, I have yet to find a blade that is it's equal for my incredibly handsome face, but many that are close, and the Voskhod is one of them.

If you ain't tried a GSB yet, I'll send you some.

Just "start a conversation" with me.

There are so many cool guys on here that have sent me blades I need to do some "passing stuff forward" myself. It would make my lovely War Department happy to see shaving stuff leave this house!

I like all of em. They all work for me. Russian blades are the best.

I like Russian blades, but there are blades I like from Israel (Personna Israeli Reds, now out of production), Gerrnany (Wilkinson Sword Classic), Vietnam (Dorco Prime Platinum), India (7 O'Clock Black), Greece (BIC Chrome Platinum) and Egypt (Shark Platinum). Since global alliances can shift, it is a good thing that no single country can claim to have a global monopoly on great razor blades.

Although the USA still produces Personna lab blue and med prep blades, these were designed more for laboratory, industrial, and hospital use than for daily shaving. DE razor blade manufacturing is one of many areas in which the USA no longer a major player.

I like Russian blades, but there are blades I like from Israel (Personna Israeli Reds, now out of production), Gerrnany (Wilkinson Sword Classic), Vietnam (Dorco Prime Platinum), India (7 O'Clock Black), Greece (BIC Chrome Platinum) and Egypt (Shark Platinum). Since global alliances can shift, it is a good thing that no single country can claim to have a global monopoly on great razor blades.

Although the USA still produces Personna lab blue and med prep blades, these were designed more for laboratory, industrial, and hospital use than for daily shaving. DE razor blade manufacturing is one of many areas in which the USA no longer a major player.
That’s a lot of words to say you like other blades. I don’t trust Personna blades. There’s so much drama and conspiracies involved I just gave up and moved on. Egypt make some good blades. That’s cool. I don’t think global alliances play much of a roll in what blade I prefer.

That’s a lot of words to say you like other blades. I don’t trust Personna blades. There’s so much drama and conspiracies involved I just gave up and moved on. Egypt make some good blades. That’s cool. I don’t think global alliances play much of a roll in what blade I prefer.

Global alliances do not play a role in the blades I prefer, but those alliances can easily play a major role in which products are available in a specific country. Thus, I like to have options.

Possessing Cuban Cigars in the USA has been illegal for many years although those who visit Cuba are now allowed to bring back 100 cigars for their personal use. Selling them in the USA, however, would still be considered smuggling. That is a global alliance issue.

If another cold war (or not so cold war) develops between the USA and Russia, I suspect Russian blades would disappear quickly from the US market.

The situation you describe with Personna blades is another global alliance issue. There is much anti-Israeli sentiment around the world; I am not surprised that Edgewell suspended production there.

Global alliances do not play a role in the blades I prefer, but those alliances can easily play a major role in which products are available in a specific country. Thus, I like to have options.

Possessing Cuban Cigars in the USA has been illegal for many years although those who visit Cuba are now allowed to bring back 100 cigars for their personal use. Selling them in the USA, however, would still be considered smuggling. That is a global alliance issue.

If another cold war (or not so cold war) develops between the USA and Russia, I suspect Russian blades would disappear quickly from the US market.

The situation you describe with Personna blades is another global alliance issue. There is much anti-Israeli sentiment around the world; I am not surprised that Edgewell suspended production there.
Nope.
I strongly disagree.
Russian blades would still be my favorite regardless of their availability. Personnas and the cult that follows em are too much for me to begin to consider. So I just have skipped them and have enjoyed other blades.

Nope.
I strongly disagree.
Russian blades would still be my favorite regardless of their availability. Personnas and the cult that follows em are too much for me to begin to consider. So I just have skipped them and have enjoyed other blades.

If you could no longer purchase Russian blades due to a trade embargo, you would have to have your own stockpile or find another favorite. I have several years worth saved, just in case.

For my beard and skin, Personna Israeli Reds outperform every Russian blade other than Nacet. I do not consider myself to be part of any Personna cult, as they are only one of many blades that work for me. Some people hate Gillette blades because they are part of P&G. You dislike Personnas. I base my opinions based on performance, not politics or conspiracies.

As your face and beard differ from mine, you have to make your own choices. Your choice to avoid Personna blades does not impact me at all.

Personally, I hope that the Personnas that are being made now in Germany will be as good as the Israeli Reds. However, if they are not satisfactory, I will find something else to use.

If you could no longer purchase Russian blades due to a trade embargo, you would have to have your own stockpile or find another favorite. I have several years worth saved, just in case.

For my beard and skin, Personna Israeli Reds outperform every Russian blade other than Nacet. I do not consider myself to be part of any Personna cult, as they are only one of many blades that work for me. Some people hate Gillette blades because they are part of P&G. You dislike Personnas. I base my opinions based on performance, not politics or conspiracies.

As your face and beard differ from mine, you have to make your own choices. Your choice to avoid Personna blades does not impact me at all.

Personally, I hope that the Personnas that are being made now in Germany will be as good as the Israeli Reds. However, if they are not satisfactory, I will find something else to use.
I never said I dislike Personna blades.

I currently do not have a need to find any blade. None. Zero. The only blade I’d like to get ahold of, funny enough, is Personna 74 and that’s just for kicks. I wouldn’t even tell anyone if I liked em or not.

I never said I dislike Personna blades.

I currently do not have a need to find any blade. None. Zero. The only blade I’d like to get ahold of, funny enough, is Personna 74 and that’s just for kicks. I wouldn’t even tell anyone if I liked em or not.
Come to think of it I did try a Personna blade. I attained some Edison blades. Other than that I’d steered clear of em.

Don't give up on those Voskhod blades! Someone years ago sent me one, and I never got around to using it. Then someone else on here "dared" me to. I loved it! But I wonder if I had tried it long ago it that would have been the case.... A guy that is no longer around here, @Highspeedlane, gave me a bunch of GSB blades when I'd only been here a week or so, I think he had pity on me, lol. Anyhoo, I have yet to find a blade that is it's equal for my incredibly handsome face, but many that are close, and the Voskhod is one of them.

If you ain't tried a GSB yet, I'll send you some.

Just "start a conversation" with me.

There are so many cool guys on here that have sent me blades I need to do some "passing stuff forward" myself. It would make my lovely War Department happy to see shaving stuff leave this house!

Thanks for the offer, but I've got so many blades here now, I don't have enough time left to use them all! LOL

Top Bottom